Favorites at Trader Joe's?

Hecho en Portugal :star_struck:

1 Like

NAH on the vegan caramelized onion dip. It has a weird, sweet taste, with a thick, dense texture. No resemblance at all to their non-vegan version. I was hoping to find a comparable product to the non-vegan version or the Kite Hill French onion dip, but this was definitely not good. Ended u tossing it.

1 Like

The closest I can find through an internet search is ā€œno argument here?ā€

OMG! They are also are selling Tostones frozenā€¦ but Iā€™m kinda on Puppy Quarentine right now so I havenā€™t been to check them out.

lol at NAH being ā€œnot soā€

1 Like
1 Like

Ha! That was great - and so darn apt! (Also why I refuse to join Nextdoor.)

1 Like

Very smart of you. It is absolutely and utterly disgusting. I prefer not to see the hidden recesses of my neighborsā€™ minds, and I had no idea that ND would give you direct access to that. Horrifying (and deeply disappointing, disgusting, and disturbing).

Canā€™t read the article b/c I canā€™t get behind the paywall, but there is nothing ā€œmicroā€ about the aggression on ND. Posters have explicitly recommended that people (usually the unhoused, in this part of town) to be shot.

1 Like

I occasionally post on Nextdoor to let people know about things like street / sidewalk / sewer construction, and to offer free stuff I want to get rid of, but I quickly stopped reading it regularly. Seeing how stupid and ignorant my neighbors are makes me want to move to a remote hermit hut.

I think you can dodge the paywall by following a Google link:

https://www.google.com/search?q=nextdoor+microaggression+version+site%3Alatimes.com&biw=1920&bih=1058&ei=hX58YNSGPIfu-gSW8rigDA&oq=nextdoor+microaggression+version+site%3Alatimes.com&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6BwgAEEcQsAM6BQghEKABOgUIIRCrAlCTT1jxdmC_eGgKcAF4AIABigGIAYIQkgEEMjcuMpgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXrIAQjAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwiU3d-MuojwAhUHt54KHRY5DsQQ4dUDCA0&uact=5

3 Likes

Thanks.

Is it just the cartoon? Would that the Santa Monica/Brentwood edition of ND be that harmless!

I think our local ND is only good for posting about lost pets (and is very helpful, actually, in that regard). Agree that posting about local street closures, etc., is also a good use of the platform.

1 Like

I learn quite a bit about issues regarding. our HOA (Home Owners Association) from posts on ND. Iā€™m sure Iā€™d hear about these things eventually anyway but itā€™s fun watching people get all fired up. Also coyote sightings are helpful when we dog-sit for our son. Thereā€™s quite a bit about local eateries too but that stuff is only as good as whoever writes it.

2 Likes

I lasted less than a week before I had to unsubscribe. Just terrible.

1 Like

Our ND group is moderated and they delete posts that are inflammatory. Itā€™s gotten pretty dicey during Covid; people donā€™t seem to want to put up with opposing views. :roll_eyes: That stuff gets deleted, so most of the subjects that remain are pretty mundane.

Update on 4/20/21

Ok @LAgirl hereā€™s my take:

I tried two of them this afternoon. Hereā€™s a pic of the 1st attempt.

The price is very reasonable ā€” less than 75 cents per tart when compared to Jimā€™s Bakery $1.75; Paderia Bakehouse $2.50; Natas Pastries $3.75; Portugal Imports $1.67; Kee Wah bakery $2.00.

However, in terms of size, itā€™s a little smaller than those by the bakeries I mentioned above.

As for taste, itā€™s not too sweet and both times I tried it, I was struck by its butteriness (prolly from the crust). Just right as a morning or afternoon snack, but not sweet enough for a dessert course unlike the brick and mortar bakeries I listed.

The baking instructions are included for conventional oven, air fryer or microwave (wut?!? - I donā€™t recommend nuking).

I used the air fryer today. Each tart comes in its own foil pan and the bottom crust was a bit soggy/greasy on 1st attempt.

Pro-tip: preheat a metal pan and bake the tart on it

The 2nd time, I preheated a small aluminum pan in the air fryer and then placed the tart on top and voila, no soggy crust 12 minutes later.

If using a regular oven, preheat a cookie sheet or other metal pan before placing the frozen tart on top.

Verdict:

Not going to replace local bakery versions, but still a nice thing to have stocked in the freezer and at 130 cal per tart, itā€™s a tasty convenient treat as a cheat on my diet.

Itā€™s a seasonal item so get it while you can :slight_smile:

==========

Portuguese custard tarts arrived at Santa Monica/Wilshire store today. Got 2 boxes for $2.99 each (4 tarts in a pack). So stoked!

Next on my anticipation list is the tbd opening of 99 Ranch on Westwood.

5 Likes

how were they??? inquiring minds wanna know!

1 Like

Incredible Portuguese egg tarts are now available in Santa Monica, at Paderia Bakehouse (corner of Wilshire & Berkeley). Downright dangerous for beach body seasonā€¦

4 Likes

Damn! Those look great!

Good thing my beach body is more ā€œbeached whaleā€ so these are perfect for me.

4 Likes

I prefer not too sweet anythingā€¦I think I may pick up a pack of these for those mornings when Iā€™m in the mood for pastry-type object to go w/ my coffee. Thanks for the follow-up review!!

3 Likes

Nah, as in no, nope, nuh-uh.