Favorites at Trader Joe's?

The po egg tarts are back! Only got one box, because I also picked up the limited edition lemon shortbread ice cream and the tres leches cake from their freezer.

4 Likes

How is the the shortbread ice cream?

1 Like

The Cosmic Crisp variety? There was a big push for these from the Washington state apple industry as an answer to honeycrisps. I usually still prefer honeycrisps, but do buy Cosmic Crisps when theyā€™re on sale.

Correct. Didnā€™t know what they were until I looked them up later (after making the post). Also didnā€™t realize (until looking it up) that Washington State University apparently bred them.

Great apple but, unless somethingā€™s changed, theyā€™re 50% more than most other Apples.

Yikes. Will check next time Iā€™m at TJā€™s to see what the price isā€¦

@hungryhungryhippos Thought it was not bad for less than $4, but Iā€™d rather save my calories for Leo Bulgariniā€™s Lemon Cream Gelato.

TJā€™s lemon ice cream is tart and creamy, not too sweet. Wasnā€™t a fan of the shortbreadā€™s mushy texture - better off using TJā€™s lemon cookie wafers as topping. Didnā€™t mind the bits of lemon zest, but I think some, especially young children might.

One and done, but liked it better than TJā€™s Black Tea Boba non dairy frozen dessert, but I still find the coffee flavored one much better.

1 Like

This sounds kind of like jenis spendids lemon icebox ice cream (which is seasonal) I might have to try it next time.

1 Like

Any good? My wife just picked them up.

1 Like

I donā€™t remember that sticker particularly, but Iā€™ve had Trader Joeā€™s lavash before and itā€™s not very good. Kinda of dry, not a ton of taste, and can fall apart making wraps

3 Likes

In other words, enjoy! :rofl: Man are you a buzz kill LOL!

2 Likes

TJā€™s garlic sauce/toum can probably save that lavash bread

7 Likes

Just trying to keep it :100: and set expectations :rofl::rofl::joy:

5 Likes

Checked the price this weekend. TJā€™s prices by quantity, not weight, but yeah, they seem to be at least 50% more. Oh, well. Iā€™ll still enjoy them (although I wouldnā€™t use them for bakingā€¦).

ā€¦and worth it, IMO.

1 Like

Personally I like Jazz apples just as much. Also like Pacific Rose.

But in any case hereā€™s the Cosmic Crisp price at Ralphs if youā€™re curiousā€¦

Ohā€¦ and Jazzā€¦

4 Likes

This was surprisingly quite good ($7.99 - 4 servings). Real dairy, no fake whipped topping. Ate it all across 3 days with Tamai farms strawberries :strawberry: :yum:

Enjoyed it so much I went back to get another box to stash in the back of my freezer.

7 Likes

adding to this thread (because I tried to start a new one not realizing this already existed)

Everyone here probably already knows that Trader Joeā€™s brands, much like its estranged sibling store, Aldi, are often direct responses to (or sometimes just rebranded) name-brand products.

Ex: Trader Joeā€™s organic Mac & Cheese (to me) looks and tastes identical to Annieā€™s. I would be utterly unsurprised to learn itā€™s a rebrand of the same product from the same factory line.

There are some that even surpass what theyā€™re imitating. The White Cheddar corn puffs easily triumph over the name-brand Pirate Booty.

I was also fascinated to find a new (to me) item at a TJā€™s in Illinois last week: ā€œAussie-style sandwich cookiesā€ i.e. TJā€™s version of TimTams!

Chocolate cookies with a thin filling of chocolate creme, coated in milk chocolate. They are more or less identical in taste and texture with your basic chocolate TimTam. Of course the real test is whether they perform the TimTamSlam properly. To do so, bite a small corner off opposite endes of a cookie, exposing the bare cookie from under the chocolate. Dip one end into hot tea. Suck the tea through the cookie like a straw. As soon as your tongue feels warm, stuff the cookie into your gob. The result of melted chocolate and bits of crisp-but-dissolving cookie is just the thing for eating oneā€™s feelings when confronted with family, as I was. The cookies performed. They will go on the regular list of ā€œstuff to grab when I happen to hit TJā€™sā€.

Now if theyā€™ll just expand to a dark chocolate/salted caramel versionā€¦

other favorites:

Almond Biscotti (w or w/o chocolate dipped bottoms)

Choc. covered almonds (the milk/dark mix)

Their frozen potstickers are surprisingly good. Ditto the frozen fried chicken tenders (sometimes convenience triumphs). In fact, Iā€™d say MOST of TJā€™s frozen goods, from ice cream to prepared foods, are a significant cut above average.

My partner is a huge fan of their greek yogurt and their XXXX Walks Into A Bar cereal/fruit bars, which she swears by for roadtrips / camping / survey work.

(I donā€™t drink, but Iā€™m told their wine has an amazing PQR.)

10 Likes

Not long ago I got some TJā€™s frozen bulgogi that was pretty good, better than the fresh marinated stuff from the local Korean supermarket. Havenā€™t seen it again, though.

1 Like

Tim tams I love those I will have to check those out!

1 Like