February 2017 Weekend Rundown

I like Kazunori too.
What the fockery does this mean?

I don’t understand why they won’t open up Studio City - it would basically print money for them.

1 Like

Maybe they feel that Studio City hit market saturation with just Sugarfish, unlike the Westside/Downtown?

@J_L Yum! Bulgarini pasta! Thanks for the pistachio notice. If the weekend storm isn’t too bad, I know where I’m going this weekend.

1 Like

Many, if not most, Chinese restaurants will charge you rice (by the bowl). Yes, Chinese restaurants in SGV.

1 Like

What a shame. But understandable.

Are dessert orange slices still free?

You mean the leftover garnishes from the Carrow’s across the street?

Well, they are, as are those lukewarm bowls of tapioca red bean dessert “soups”.

Finally made it to the Roberta’s pop-up on their last day. Loved it, especially the Bee Sting.
Cheesus Christ (mozzarella, taleggio, Parmesan, black pepper, cream), Axl Rosenburg (tomato, double garlic, mozzarella, mushrooms, spicy sopressata, jalapeños), and Bee Sting (tomato, chili flakes/oil, basil, mozzarella, spicy sopressata, honey):

8 Likes

After a bit of whale watching in PV, we popped over to Yellow Fever in Torrance. This was my first time there. I had the Seoul Bowl, and it was fine. Also tried some of the Californian Bowl, which I liked better. Oddly, I’ve never been to the Marina location even though it’s pretty much right around the corner. Overall, it seems like a good, quick spot to add into the rotation.

lil peanut guy from the toy store next door

YELLOW FEVER
http://www.yellowfevereats.com/

7 Likes

That seems like a deeply racist name for a restaurant to have lol

1 Like

Quite. Not to mention the disease itself being terrible. Bizarre.

3 Likes

I had a woefully junk-food-filled weekend…

I’m a sucker for old-fashioned Italian delis and found myself in Santa Clarita on Saturday, so I picked up a vegetarian submarine at Maria’s Italian Deli. Although it had industrially-produced bread, it hit the spot, but was a tad heavy on the mayo. I also got a slice of the caprese pizza, which didn’t look too promising, but was better than expected. Maria’s isn’t a destination restaurant, but it fulfills my nostalgia for old-school delis.

Maria’s Italian Deli
22620 Lyons Ave.
Newhall, CA 91321
(661) 259-6261

I picked up a box of baklava for a friend at Vrej Pastry in Granada Hills. The sales clerk was kind enough to give me a cookie, which I believe is called ka’ak bil ma’amoul. It was soft and encrusted with sesame seeds, but had a deeply aromatic date center. Perhaps it was flavored with orange blossom water?

Vrej Pastry
11148 Balboa Blvd.
Granada Hills, CA 91344
(818) 366 - 2526
They also have location in Pasadena and Glendora
http://vrejpastryca.com/

On Sunday, I had a crazy hankering for takoyaki, so I went to Nijiya Market on Sawtelle. Is it the best takoyaki I’ve ever had? Not even close, but it made me happy enough, especially considering it was mass produced at a supermarket. If my meal wasn’t junky enough, I supplemented it with a crab croquette and kakiage (tempura fritter). Just a warning: molten crab cream traveling down the wrong pipe hurts. Don’t eat your croquette too hastily!

Nijiya Market
2130 Sawtelle Blvd., #105
West L.A., CA 90025
(310) 575-3300

And I’m happily back to eating more sensibly today. :grinning:

9 Likes

I really like that stuff… (seriously)

So jealous! Partner and I showed upa t 8PM, and of course they were all out of dough.

Sounds delish…

2 Likes

The folks who started up the yellow fever chain are all Asian. The name is sort of a mixed metaphor. You can figure that part out. The Shanghai bowl is pretty good. Who doesn’t like pork belly?

1 Like

As they say, “What’s in a name?” We ended up at 2 very similar sounding restaurants last weekend, China Tasty and China Taste.

China Tasty

This restaurant has been mentioned a few times on FTC, famous for its Lanzhou-style Beef Noodle Soup. The most impressive aspect was that they make their Noodles fresh per order. We saw this noodle maker making a batch for every single order that came in, one at a time! :open_mouth:

House Special Beef Noodle Soup:

This is their Lanzhou-style Beef Noodle Soup. Unlike the most ubiquitous version of “Chinese Beef Noodle Soup” that we might be used to around the area, Lanzhou Beef Noodle Soup has a Salt-based Beef Broth. It’s more milky in color rather than the dark Soy Sauce infused version, being more akin to a Pho Broth in some ways.

The Beef Soup is lightly beefy, nice and comforting and lightly salted. It’s pretty tasty. :slight_smile:

The Noodles have a pretty good chew, having a good body to them; not overly soft. However after about a third of the way through, I found myself a little bored of the Noodles; they started tasting a bit one note. Still a good toothsome Noodle.

The weak link in this bowl is the Beef itself. It tastes completely overcooked and chewy. Unlike long-stewed, tender chunks of Beef Shank in Soy Sauce-based Beef Noodle Soup (the common style found at places like Dai Ho or Bull Demon King), the thin Beef Slices here are chewy, overcooked, and mediocre tasting. :frowning:

The rest of the Bowl is solid (Broth, Noodles), but not the Beef.

You can also choose 6(!) different styles of Handmade Noodles when you order, all made to order, which is a nice touch.

Green Onion Pancake:

I love Green Onion Pancakes, so I always find myself ordering some wherever we see it on the menu, LOL. :slight_smile: These came out piping hot. There was a nice crunchiness to the first few bites, but then we found it feeling really heavy and greasy. And even with just a few minutes of cooling, these Green Onion Pancakes started turning into chewy, triangles of dough.

I’m glad to have tried this Lanzhou-style Beef Noodle Soup for reference. But I’m not sure I’d want to return.

China Tasty
1308 E Valley Blvd.
Alhambra, CA 91801
Tel: (626) 457-8483

China Taste

And then down the street is the newly opened China Taste (not Tasty), first mentioned by @JThur01 in an Eater article a few weeks ago.

This restaurant is noteworthy in that it serves Anhui cuisine, a seldom seen regional style of Chinese cooking that we’d certainly never tried before. So we were excited to give it a try. :slight_smile:

The manager starts introducing some items to us and mentions that the “Griddle Pots” section of the menu is really where the Anhui cuisine dishes are (the rest of the menu isn’t).

Chicken in Griddle Pot:

He stated that if there was only one dish to order, it would be this. The Chicken in Griddle Pot arrives, sitting on top of a portable tabletop burner. Taking a sip, it tastes like a mishmash of familiar and strange flavors:

There’s Star Anise, so you get this Licorice-like flavor coming through. And Szechuan Peppercorns(!) so you get some numbing flavors. And some heat from some Chilies. And a Dark Soy Sauce.

It’s salty, just on the borderline of being too salty, but not quite, but perhaps you’re not supposed to drink any of the Soup and just focus on eating the Chicken and other items. We are brought a plate of Napa Cabbage, Tofu Skin and Mung Bean Noodles to add into the Soup and heat up.

This helps to dilute the saltiness slightly.

The Chicken tastes OK. Having soaked in the heavy Star Anise, Szechuan Peppercorn liquid, it’s well-marinated and on the bony side. It’s almost as bony (having little meat) as the Chicken dishes we had at Hunan Chili King a few years ago (which were like Sauteed “Chicken Bones” (with a little bit of meat), rather than “Sauteed Chicken” that you’d expect).

House Special Pot:

The manager mentions that if you could only order one other Anhui dish on their menu, that we should go for their House Special Pot. This turns out to be a mixture of a lot of ingredients all layered into one giant pot of food. Supposedly it’s to concentrate the flavors and so they all seep into each other and enliven the experience. :confused:

There’s Bok Choy, Tofu Noodles (Hardened Bean Curd cut into Noodle Strips), Chinese Mushrooms, Egg Dumplings with Chicken (another specialty you can order separate, but included into this dish), Housemade Pork Meatballs.

The Broth in this version tastes somewhat familiar - Soy Sauce, Star Anise and other spices - but ultimately it tastes a bit underwhelming. It’s not bad, but it’s not crave-worthy either. None of us visiting that day felt like we wanted to return, but we were happy trying this Anhui cuisine.

And like @chandavkl mentions, their Egg Dumplings with Chicken weren’t that good. We all felt that the Egg Dumpling was unnecessary and it was dryish, overcooked Scrambled Eggs smashed into a “Dumpling Skin” to cover some Ground Chicken. We all agreed that we’d rather just have Chicken Dumplings without the Egg Skin.

China Taste (not “Tasty”)
529 E Valley Blvd., Suite #108A
San Gabriel, CA 91776
Tel: (626) 766-1788

7 Likes

Best Noodle House. 6th week in a row because I’m addicted. Thanks to @ipsedixit for first mentioning it, and @Chowseeker1999 for the great write up.

Chongqing dan dan noodles, fried chicken, and pig ears:

10 Likes

Nice @thechez5. Glad you like it. :slight_smile:

Love that place. Great pics.

1 Like

Saturday paella, La Española (Harbor City)…

10 Likes

Holy mother of god.

I genuflect in your presence.

You’ve been going there more weeks than Trump has been in the White House. I’m putting my money on you to continue your streak longer than he does.

3 Likes

Oh I will try my hardest. :grin:

2 Likes