February 2021 Rundown

So I decided I didn’t have nearly enough calories today by only eating at burgers never say die. After all it was $2 Filet* O Fish Friday and FREE Medium fry Friday at McDonald’s

So, since McDs doesn’t do all day breakfast had to get the hash brown from Jack In The Box. Surprised at how large it is. A big square potato slab.

Pro tip. They are $1.99 each. But they are free with a purchase. So if you get 2 tacos for 99¢ in the app, it adds a delicious side dish.

So, I give you…

The Gr8pimpin Filet O Jack Brown Extra Value Meal. Filet O Jack Brown, 2 Tacos, medium fries and a drink (not pictured)

Sandwich is awesome. The Jack Brown was really good. Forgot how tasty this combo is.

You can’t beat the QPR

$2.00 Filet o Fish
$1.00 2 tacos
$1.00 drink
Free hash brown
Free medium fries
Free cardiology consult (ok not free)

*my stupid phone wants to keep changing Filet O Fish to Philleo fish

Cross posting to Filet O Hashbrown Thread

12 Likes

The Rocky Balboa at Cortina’s is one of the few reasons I miss having to go to north OC for work.

2 Likes

Good to know! I love that sandwich.

2 Likes

Yeah. I kinda figured :slight_smile: LOL

Cheese on the burger, yes. Comes standard.

If you meant their cheese sauce for the fries? Nope.

I asked because I couldn’t see any cheese on your burgers

1 Like

Dear John’s (Culver City) resumes outdoor dining, with a lovely patio setup. Spaced tables, clear guidelines, and most of all, everything was prepared deliciously. Nothing fancy or groundbreaking here culinarily; just really pro-level cooking and well-poured drinks.

Caesar’s salad… This won’t win any photogenicity contests, but for a salad, the dish WAS truly tasty and well-executed.

Old-Fashioned… For an old-fashioned good time.

Garlic bread… More like garlic bread pizza. Not a bad thing, though.

Bougie tots… Shredded egg, ikura and caviar make most things bougie. And instagrammably yummy.

Main courses arrive…

18oz. ribeye with Dear John’s signature steak sauce… Perfect doneness. My cut was a bit too fatty this evening, though. (I should have ordered the NY Strip instead)…

Spaghetti & clams… Just the way ol’ Blue Eyes liked it.

Creamed corn & creamed spinach… Flawless.

German potatoes… Get this. Flavorful as heck.

Dessert time! Mascarpone cheesecake with raspberry coulis and fresh whipped heavy cream… Fantastic.

Chocolate bar with butterscotch and caramel… One of the best chocolate desserts in the city.

Service remains as professional and personable as ever.
Our entire meal was solid, start to finish. Dear John’s is a straight-up great, no-frills outdoor option.

24 Likes

OK, gave McDonald’s a second shot at their new crispy chicken sandwich.

Yeah, I had to see if my first experience was a one off. Nope, my impressions are the same. The fillet is roughly the same size as a Chick-fil-A sandwich. And while they may dress up the same with just the pickles and the buttered bun that’s where the similarities end. This is a bland chicken fillet. They definitely went for a neutral flavor. McDonald’s uses no discernible seasonings. If you order it, make sure you get some sauces. Unlike Chick-fil-A, their sandwich needs it. Seriously, at least give me some salt and pepper.

It WAS crispy… it WAS juicy. So there is that.

Their spicy version uses the same bland chicken breast. Chick-fil-A uses a spicy chicken breast on their spicy sandwich. McDonalds is relying on their sauce to carry the day, for the flavor and the heat

I will say this, the sauce was very spicy compared to other fast food offerings. This, I liked.

Like I said in another post, the bun is the star of the show to me. They should totally make breakfast sandwiches on them. It’s a shame they didn’t spend as much time figuring out their chicken breast.

Cross posting in the Fast Food Thread

7 Likes

Popeye’s
I had to try to flounder sandwich because I do enjoy a fried fish sandwich. It’s a pretty hefty portion…lots of crunchy and crispy texture in the spiced Cajun batter. My filet itself was moist but there was a higher batter to fish ratio. The tartar sauce wasn’t very discernible…more mayo-y and not much else. The pickle slices did offer a nice contrast.
End result? Still gonna make my own with sourdough rolls and tartar sauce from the Original Fish Company in Los Alamitos and Costco fish sticks and American cheese.

PRD
The mind and skills of Chef @JLee continues to knock it out of the park. The McCharsiuRib was no joke amazing…and I’m gonna have fried turnip cakes with eggs for breakfast all week long.
P.S. I may need to add Maggi to my mayo going forward now.

Hayato

A beautiful and sunny southern California afternoon under the tree across from Rappahanock remains a great way to have a leisurely bento with sake…and a couple of friends who have since been vaccinated.
We were all delighted by Chef Go’s spectacular bento. I still own that the vegetables can go toe-to-toe with the exceptional proteins.
General manager, Yuki, suggested Matsuno Midori for our sake today. Apparently, it’s one of Chef Go’s favorites.

All Day Baby
Dessert was provided by All Day Baby…their Peanut Butter Fluffernutter with house made strawberry jam. It is a giant serving, but the cookie sandwich is truly balanced. It was not too sweet, and you are able to taste each component and enjoy the textures. Knock your socks off good. My friends raved about how perfect it was.
Biscuits to take home for later. Can’t leave without biscuits. They also had the bacon cheddar onion scones today, but it was a limited amount.

19 Likes

End of February photo dump:

Went to pick up treats from Republique for Valentine’s Day

Strawberry passionfruit cream pie – really good, but prefer the mango version

Basque cheesecake

quiche - husband loves this, has to get a slice every time. I like the custard-y soft texture of the egg in here.

Ube brioche. Didn’t take a pic of the inside but the ube pastry cream inside is delicious.

Tried the egg biscuit sandwich from All Day Baby for the first time and it was really good. Buttery, flaky biscuit and the jam was a nice bit of sweetness to the egg and cheese.

However the 2nd time I got the biscuit, it looked and tasted burned :frowning: Biscuit was drier too. Maybe it had been on the griddle too long. Look at how much darker it is than in the first photo. Also, it tasted strongly of meat, like someone had mistakenly put a sausage patty in there and then realized my order wasn’t supposed to have one and then removed it. I ate the whole thing because I didn’t want to waste it.

The brown butter chocolate chip cookie from All Day Baby (@rlw !) was really good too. I like when places use feves or wafers over chips. Outside edges were a little crispy but good chew on the interior.

Strawberry/milk twist softserve from Somi Somi in Little Tokyo after buying groceries.

22 Likes

This reminds me, I need to bake another Basque Cheesecake. So good.

4 Likes

Sam Woo

11 Likes

Nice month’s dump @chrishei!

1 Like

Hello!

In college hubs could eat 2 Double Kings w/Chili, Cheese, Bacon & Egg in one sitting. :laughing:

6 Likes

:round_pushpin: Mama’s Shawarma, 1416 E. Colorado Street, Glendale :syria:

What immediately stands about Syrian-owned Mama’s Shawarma in a city where shawarma wraps are a dime a dozen, is their devotion to Arabic-style shawarma plates. These are more like what you will find at night in the Levant’s largest cities, friends and families in front of plates of cut up shawarma wraps that have been covered in fries, squeeze bottles of ketchup at the ready on each table.

They offer two sizes for this, the Mama’s plate is $15 for one cut up sandwich, fries, a small salad, pickles, and of course garlic sauce. A much better deal is the Big Mama’s plate ($18, below), which adds a full second wrap to the mix and an extra container of garlic sauce for just three dollars more.

You will know just from looking at their shawarma spit inside the truck that the bird is going to be delicious, and the first bite does not disappoint. Fries for this order were overcooked and dried out, but still decent when dipped in their creamy garlic sauce. For the purists, ketchup packets are in your bag, so do not worry.

14 Likes

Had a good February - it was Valentine’s Day, my birthday, my anniversary and coincidentally my FTC anniversary! Essentially it was all about me. :grin: Gifts, flowers, champagne, food!

Sweets from Roji Bakery on La Brea

Decor & art changes to match occasions & seasons. :hearts:

Melon Pan w/Custard Cream

Custard Chocolate Almond Pan

Both were soft, moist, yummy filling, pan deliciousness. :hearts:

Provisions from Monsieur Marcel - OG Farmers Market

Who knew Monsieur Marcel produces (sells) their own Champagne? Quite nice.

One of my favorite items at MM is the Cream Cheese Spread w/Paprika, Dill, Garlic Powder, Caraway Seeds, Secret Ingredient (me thinks curry) and a dollop of Caviar. :hearts: Roquefort was yummy on the cheese plate and in its intended destination - the salad dressing.

I steamed a couple lobsters from MM’s seafood counter. No inside photos - by the time we wrestled the meat out of shells and small claws there was no pausing for photos.

I had a little leftover hollandaise sauce and put it in the drawn butter… it did nothing for it.

Flourless Dark Chocolate Cakes

Impulse buy from the little pastry case at MM’s checkout counter, because chocolate is a must. Surprisingly delicious! :blush:

Kaylen & Hobbs - OG Farmers Market

This is one of the reasons I love FTC. While at MM’s seafood counter I looked over and saw a pickle vendor. Normally I wouldn’t go in for a gourmet pickle. It’s a pickle. But! I remembered reading food talkers raving about these. Ok why not? I’ll get a container… okay three…if you buy 2 you get 1 free. Another thing I normally wouldn’t go for is anything honey-mustard, but the employees raved about them, said they are the best. Okay yep, they’re the best! So good. :hearts::blush::hearts: I’m now pickle spoiled. Try ‘em chopped in a tuna sandwich!

Next excursion - N. Hollywood for Soba Noodles, Wagashi and Epicurus.

@Losnooyado

After seeing the great photos I had to seek out Yoko-san of Losnooyado for her handmade Soba Noodles & delightful Nerikiri Wagashi made from her N. Hollywood home.

Soba Noodle Kit

I’ve never been a buckwheat lover but these noodles made with 80% buckwheat flour are light, nutty, with a slightly slippery mouthfeel, nice chew. Love! So simple to prepare (90 sec boil, rinse, ice bath, strain). I think I could’ve rinsed the starch a tad more but a minor quibble… they are sooo good. :hearts: I followed Professor @PorkyBelly’s tip and byo’d Kizami Nori.

Tsuyu (dipping sauce) w/Lemon & Lime

I haven’t had the recommended Sudachi and don’t know which citrus fruit it most tastes like so I sliced in lime & lemons. It was wonderful! Salty, sweet, tangy w/a touch of smokiness from the bonito flakes (katsuobushi). :kissing_closed_eyes:

Because homie cannot live on soba noodles alone…

Epicurus’ Wagyu Ribeye (“Australian w/Japanese genetics”) rub of Togarashi, Smoked Salt, Onion & Garlic Powders, sauce of Tsuyu, Sake, Truffle Honey

Fukucho “Moon on the Water” Junmai Ginjo

“Lady Sake”. One of my favorites - so nice with light noodle dishes - aromatic, vibrant, but soft, clean w/hints of citrus, drinks like a chablis.

A relaxing morning w/Wagashi & Sencha Green Tea

Kinda hard to believe Yoko-san once included these delightful confections as only a complimentary treat with the soba noodles. Happily the demand convinced her to change her mind and sell them. They taste as pretty as they look - like a lighter, less glutinous mochi, reminiscent of marzipan w/a lightly sweet bean paste filling. :two_hearts:

Is it still a bang bang when you don’t eat both bangs the same day? Hmmm…

Epicurus Gourmet

The only items I didn’t care for were the Fabrique Delices Chicken Apple Paté & the Salmon Mousse. :smirk: But it was the first time trying the creamy Meredith Dairy Marinated Feta Cheese. Thanks Food Talkers! So good! :hearts::blush::hearts:

Bresaola and Secret de Scey Cheese

I know Bresaola is salty and this one definitely was. This creamy, slightly elastic cheese is essentially a milder, pasteurized Morbier and the total funkiness betrays its milder flavor - good compliment for deeper flavored cold cuts/charcuterie.

Yuzu Mayo, Marinated White Asparagus & Artichokes

The friendly salesman directed me to the asparagus and said his wife loves them with Epicurus’ Yuzu Mayo. I already had Yuzu Kosho Hot Sauce and of course mayo, so why not. Not sure about that brand of marinated asparagus because they were too mushy to dip. Salesman did say they grill them sometimes so I may try that because he’s right, a very good flavor combination.

My cousin got us a GoldBelly gift card! :kissing_closed_eyes: You should have seen hubs’ face when he found out we were getting Caviar and a Pearl Spoon instead of Majordomo’s Bossam. :smirk: Can I explain please? The Bossam is for 4-6 people and it was only 2 of us!

I know Champagne & Chocolate Covered Strawberries are a romantic cliche. But is it less corny when they’re Harry’s Berries Strawberries covered in luxurious Milk Chocolate Couverture? :blush:

Great Month! :revolving_hearts:

21 Likes

Epic rundown!

1 Like

everything looks wonderful! congrats on all the reasons to celebrate!!

1 Like

happy @TheCookie appreciation month

3 Likes

Thanks! :relaxed: