February 2021 Rundown

he’s on instagram as @keika_tanjiro

I had this recently too, also had it in Fukuoka where it is a niche dish.

So far my experience between what I had in Japan and here are the same. Its basically chicken that taste like charcoal. I don’t really see what the big deal is and one I think its one of those try it once and I’m good.

5 Likes

He said he’s out there every day until sell out. I usually see him setting up around lunch, but you’re bound to catch him in the evening.

1 Like

I think that’s probably the sesame/green onion big pancake or zi ma da bing. Here’s a pic from my order a couple months ago. It’s so pillowy and fragrant!

7 Likes

In the case of You Kitchen, I believe it refers to their Silk Road-style sesame bread (芝麻大餅).

Some on this board may remember this style of thick “bing” was first made famous in SoCal by Tung Lai Shan (RIP) in Focus Plaza many, many moons ago…

4 Likes

Got it. I love that stuff since I was a kid. Always a must order at Chinese-Muslim restaurant along with some knife cut noodles. That stuff is also great with any soup or stew, Chinese or otherwise.

4 Likes

On a cold and blustery night in Southern California (AKA hoodie weather), Hiro-san serves up a piping hot, cozy claypot filled with steaming oden fit for a hero, at Hakata Izakaya Hero (Tehrangeles)…

14 Likes

How many outside tables do they have now

About 6 in the parking lot and two two tops out front.

2 Likes

Super excellent pizza from Pizza Wagon! Mushroom and pepperoni. Crispy crust, not floppy at all, and nicely risen cornicione with a bit of crunch.

Plus, Anthony wrote a note on the inside of the box.

21 Likes

Happy b-day, @Gr8pimpin!!!

2 Likes

:heart: thank you!!

A very strong debut evening for Saso Bistro in Pasadena… Chef Dominique Crisp’s West Coast take on Basque fare is a most welcome addition to the L.A. food scene. I tried every single one of the pintxos on the menu, and each one was solid. Highlights include Txirla (local clams from the charcoal Josper oven, sherry vinegar, spring pea, herb oil), Grilled Asparagus (poached egg, shaved caviar, breadcrumb, mushroom vinaigrette), and House Croquetas (lamb belly, mint yogurt). Monster-sized Ganbak (whole grilled prawns with garlic and rosemary) were flavorfully succulent. Their large format dish, whole deboned rock cod Basquaise (finished in the Josper oven with garlic crisp, chili and premium aceite de olivas) was also very enjoyable. The Zapiain 2018 txakoli I ordered was very affordable, and flowed smoothly with each dish. The dining patio (formerly of Trejo’s Tacos in the Pasadena Playhouse courtyard) felt very safe, with nicely distanced tables, and plenty of heat lamps. Good times. Bring a QR code reader to access their menu. #LudditesGetPaperMenus #OOEDoesNotRequireMenus

19 Likes

Happy birthday!

1 Like

Did the waiter do a proper txakoli pour?

What kind of prawns are they using? Not spot prawns right?

Thank you!!!

oooh, this looks good! i can’t wait to try this

1 Like

Nice tall pour. My server was familiar with pintxo crawl culture.

My gambas looked like tiger prawn. Lawd I wish they had prawn from the Cantabrian Sea.

2 Likes

Imagine if they can source the carabineros in my avatar :slight_smile:

2 Likes

pie room by gwen x ponsonby road cafe x republique x fat & flour

spoiler alert i like pie

shout-out to @EattheWorldLA, thanks for the rec.

25 Likes

You can has your pie and eat it too. How are the February Ataulfos tasting?

2 Likes