February 2021 Rundown

Thanks for the Mendocino Farms info. I think they said that the chicken is air fried.

Re: Del Taco, not sure about them, but I did see this being tested by Taco Bell :man_shrugging:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLnc685A1Pg/

5 Likes

Not a fan. They taste like some Tyson frozen tenders only not as good.

The various sauces don’t help much.

I’ll bet they come out with something decent. Hate to admit, I liked that naked chicken “taco” thing.

1 Like

Checked the website. You are correct.

And, yes, that was pic I had seen! I’ll wait for you and @Gr8pimpin to try it first. :wink:

2 Likes

Agreed on both fronts. Although TB has been heavily trending down on menu options and gotten rid of a few of the good things they had left. I don’t see this reviving any of that just yet.

1 Like

DELICIOUS BAKERY

So, wifey works in Northridge on Thursdays. On a recommendation from a local, She went to a place called “Delicious Bakery” last week to get me some birthday goodies. BTW, who knew. A Jewish bakery in Northridge slinging some pretty good rye bread. And inexpensive too.

9147 Reseda Blvd
Northridge, CA 91324

http://delicious-bakery.com

PITA POCKETS

In any case, I digress. She noticed tons of people going in and out of this place called Pita Pockets. Lots of people carrying out these foot-long torpedo shaped objects.

In any case they have a wide array of laffa wraps and pita sandwiches and various combo plates.

So we went there today.

Lemon Chicken Laffa

Huge. A footlong filled with chicken, a mayo-based lemon sauce, tomatoes, rice. Pretty good. I’m not a huge fan of mayo like this (it was too mayonnaisy and not lemony enough for me. Wifey liked it a lot.

Shawarma (gyro) Plate

Definitely Tasted Like street shawarma. The pita served with it was super fluffy. Strange. But a good vessel for the meat. The falafel, not photographed, we’re a little spongy.

So, I’d go back again. No one will ever confuse this with Joes, or Pita Kitchen. But that’s OK. Great QPR!

Pita Pockets
9127 Reseda Blvd
Northridge, CA 91324

MCDONALDS

Btw, the McDonalds in this shopping center (corner of Reseda and Nordhoff) has $2 Filet O Fish EVERY day.

14 Likes

Inaba Torrance is now open for patio dining. It was windy AF on Saturday however Inaba has a nice little set up that shields you from the gusty winds.

Their battera was shockingly excellent, nice luscious fish and the rice was really good, served slightly warm and a great texture. @JeetKuneBao @PorkyBelly @NYCtoLA @J_L @rlw et al

And one must come here and not not order their soba and tempura, utter perfection! The kakiage could not have been fried any better.

Flawless frying!

And the soba ain’t too shabby neither. That QQ noodles dipped into their delicately smokey broth.

18 Likes

That rice… So dreamy.

1 Like

Happy Birthday, Gr8pimpin!!! great image to salivate over!

2 Likes

Thank you, kindly, Mr. Maven!

2 Likes

Hello live from…

9 Likes

Oliboli Donuts have their Harry’s Berries strawberry donuts available again

12 Likes

after you’re done with your dinic’s roast pork bang try out a solomonov place (laser wolf, zahav, dizengoff, merkaz, goldie) and then south philly barbacoa, and a cheesesteak from john’s roast pork.

6 Likes

It’s Friday, so the Pennsylvania Dutch stands should be up and running. Enjoy!

1 Like

their battera is great, pillow-y soft rice and a bit of sweetness from the kombu to balance out the acid.

2 Likes

Sunset Sushi x Needle bang bang

A surprisingly high quality bang^2 at 830 on a Thursday night.

Sunset Sushi was good but ngl Jimmy’s chirashi’s and bentos really messed it up for everyone from a QPR perspective. To that end I got a $50 chirashi, ate all of it, ate half my wife’s kaisen Don, and then drove promptly to

Needle, where I then devoured the PCB I ordered while waiting for sushi (my wife got a few bites). We are now a split household with my wife preferring PRD and me preferring Needle, with the sweetness of PRD’s PCB being the most polarizing factor. Char siu was good but perhaps my expectations were too high. Almond jello was second coming of Christ. Why did I buy only one?

14 Likes

PCB = pork chop bun?

1 Like

Burgers Never Say Die

Holy shit, Batman. How have I never been here before.

I LOVE the Win-Dow and Tripps but yeah. This is insanely good. The patties are crispy and perfection. Just the right grease factor.

Huge selection of sodas. These were my selections

The fries are like McDonalds used to be, a zillion years ago.

Service is great. So friendly.

15 Likes

No choz?

Choz?

I’m eld.

3 Likes

image image image

Finally got to visit Reading Terminal Market. Comparison is inevitable but it is a larger Grand Central Market with different items that are local to ones perspective city. Every great city has a large public market like this!!!

The most impressive part imo is what @J_L mentioned above, there is part of the market where the Amish cornered.

I wish I took a picture but basically the LARGEST baked goods counter I ever seen in my life. I wanted to try everything but that is not humanely possible.

I have to say it seems you have to come here with a sweet tooth…Amish baked goods, apple dumplings, donuts, cannolis, etc it’s a little much for me personally.

DiNic’s…finally got to try the roast pork sandwich! Great interplay here with sharp provolone, broccoli rabe, peppers, and pork. Very tasty. To be perfectly honest I think Cortinas in OC has the better sandwich (named the Rocky Balboa at Cortinas), I know I know. Saying something like that would get my ass whopped. It’s still a very good sandwich!!!

Beiler’s …blueberry fritter! Wow this was outstanding! Best donut I had since moving away from Southern California. If I had one thing to say is I wish there was slightly more crunch on the outside like the apple fritters at mom n pop Cambodian spots. That could be just a personal preference or just be how the Amish make them.

Miller’s Twist…again the Amish! The pretzels are legit. Even better is the stuffed pretzels with hot dog, hot link, sausage, BaconEggCheese.

Walked around after that…Chinatown, Independence Hall, Washington Square, Italian Market, Little Saigon, Center City.

Italian Market…I like the vibe of that street and it’s too bad I was stuffed. Any suggestions or recs on Italian Market?

I’ll probably save my Chinese fix for Flushing tbh.

Saw a strip mall with all Vietnamese businesses which reminded me of Little Saigon back home.

image image image image image image image

21 Likes