February 2023 Rundown

Up in San Jose for my kids tae kwon do tourney. Bahn mi are always a good choice for these type of events. Duc Huong was 5 mins away and read good reviews. Very healthy 15-20 person line the whole time I was there and lots of phone orders.

Vietnamese coffee was delicious. Had a great roasty flavor and not too sweet. One of the best I’ve ever had.

$7 for a large seems a little on the expensive side. They have a buy 4 get 1 free so it comes out to $5.60 each. Proper crusty bread. Good cold cuts and hard to see but lots of veggies. I’m no bahn mi expert but this was damn good.

13 Likes

The color on that cafe sua da looks magnificent

2 Likes

Torta movil not as good as super tortas df but still scratches the itch.

Chilango w/ pierna, jamon, Milanesa, and pineapple!

Anyone else know of good torta or cemita places?

6 Likes

1 Like

Stopped at smorgasburg early. Had some pretty decent food from some vendors.

The evil cooks tacos were delicious. Asesino black Chile pastor and octopus and also flan taco that comes on a mini crepe tortilla.

Urbn pizza makes new have style pizza or “apizza”. Never had real New Haven pizza can’t comment on authenticity but it was charred and crispy, which I believe are the hall marks. Dough was flavorful and tomato sauce seemed to be of an uncooked variety but was zingy and sweet.

9 Likes

Jeune et Jolie
Cheer to my dearest weekly dinner when I was living in San Diego. A full year has passed since I moved, thankfully everything there was still lovely.

This season’s highlights :crab::lobster: and :frog: - just because!
Crabe: Canadian snow crab, verjus, kohlrabi, shiso
Excellent opening, went well with the light acidic hit from their avocado appetizer. The most refreshing course of the night. Light and addictive.

I usually request extra for UN & DEUX because there are a lot of hitters I enjoy in these sections. This time I went with their Homard (lobster) and Cuisses de Grenouilles (frog). Both warm courses had stronger impressions, contrasting well with the refreshing Crabe earlier. Fun time!

Homard: lobster, harissa, basil, tarragon
The espelette pepper hit wonderfully in this sauce, not too spicy but strangely enjoyable, contrasting well with the perfectly cooked texture and gentle taste of their lobster. My favorite dish from the whole menu.

Cuisses de Grenouilles: frog legs, black garlic, cipollini onion, nasturtium
If you into fried food as much as I do: I would eat this instead of fried chicken for the rest of my life. Crunchy outside, super moist inside, excellent sauce. Fun texture between the breaded vs the naked bits and those onion. Highly recommend as an add on.

But honestly if you drive out for a dinner and didn’t start the meal with their raw bar items, I would pity that experience. John, the owner, has a long industry history with oysters and shellfish in general, trust him.

Come for the taste: I always enjoy exciting French fair with a touch of Asian influence - just enough umami to round up the usual sharpness in flavor of traditional French cooking. Thanks to the time chef Eric worked in Singapore!

Stay for an unpretentious, almost-relax bistro vibe, and the most romantic touch for a perfect date spot, imo. If you get to know the crew, you will have a hard time to move away, just like me. Also take a look at their custom made records behind the bar, lots of fun nuggets in this little place… I still like it quite a bit after a long year disappearing away.

*Forever looking for exciting, nearly perfect flavors with simple and beautiful ingredients… uptight, boring and pretentious executions for the grams easily bore me. If you’re somewhat similar, you will like their menu this season.

12 Likes

Horman? Not homard?

1 Like

Homard, thank you @robert I’ll correct it.

My Godson brought me a box of The Cookies for my birthday! :cookie: :two_hearts:

19 Likes

Happy birthday and enjoy eating all those cookies! They reheat really well.

3 Likes

images~2

8 Likes

Try the new peanut butter The Cookie. We really liked it. Maybe better than the OG but it was still warm when we bought which could have skewed our opinion.

7 Likes

There was a couple PB in the box. We liked it maybe better too!

5 Likes

Happy Birthday! Ooooh! i love a good PB cookie

4 Likes

Damn I don’t usually love peanut butter cookies but this is tempting

2 Likes

I’m biased because I :hearts: PB. YMMV.

5 Likes