February Weekend Rundown (2016)

Santouka: Toroniku richness…

5 Likes

Love their fries. Because I’m crowd-averse, I usually go in the AM - no fries. Those damned things go so well with their sandwiches.

1 Like

Sorry, it was @Michaelc who posted the burger deal.

Someone else has to chime in on redbird, I’m obstaining from all Frazer restaurants after the McDonald’s stunt.

Chicken pot pie

2 Likes

Like all high-quality crap, you’ll be rid of it soon enough… :wink:

Beni-Tora yesterday evening. I’ll upload a photo later (I’m feeling kind of lazy right now). Big gyoza are always yummy, but I keep remembering that I don’t think the Special White Dan Dan Mien (which was surprisingly spicy yesterday, BTW) is worth the $, but I can never remember why. Well, I remembered why yesterday. Chashu is, uh, not great (over marinated), and I think the portion might be larger than the regular order? It’s a little too much for me (esp when they don’t adequately dissolve the miso paste, or whatever it is, like they didn’t last night! I kept biting into what I thought was minced chicken, only to discover that… it was not. Argh). Still, a good neighborhood joint.

1 Like

Pot pie is good

Goat gemelli is good

Posole is also very good.

If you have a sweet tooth and even if you don’t, it’s hard to beat the chocolate bar with caramelized bananas.

Nice wine list and cocktail program.

Sweet tooth. Ding, ding, ding!

love the gyoza

Kawamata

Really good SPAM musubi.

Tuna and octopus poke bowl w/ seaweed salad

Shanxi Noodle House

Stir fry vegetables w/ pancakes

Braised beef w/ vinegar

Shanxi lamb noodle soup…really good

Shanxi pork stir fry noodle

Thank You @michaelc

Jim’s dan tat are pretty awesome.

9 Likes

Redbird

Foie Gras, Chicken Pot Pie, Squid Ink Sea Bass, Grilled Short Rib.

5 Likes

Went tonight. Lovely space. Agree about the wine list and the cocktails.
Had pot pie (very good, but was it better than Wooden Spoon"s?), John Dory (good and liked the green finger shaped gnocchi that came with), tasted the sea bass (very good), had the chocolate dessert and coffee (very rich and pretty small; being a dessert freak, I think I’d have preferred less richness and more content). Friends had the walnut cake with blue cheese ice cream (cake was so dry it was judged stale). Upon conferring with the waitress about the cake, the cost was quickly removed from the check. Good service recovery. Service throughout the meal was professional. I note 3% was added to the check for staff, or so it said somewhere. $12 seemed a little stiff for valet parking (same price as dessert), but maybe I don’t get out enough. Next time I think I’ll skip dessert.

2 Likes

Bang bang at Dean sin world and Beijing pie house

9 Likes

I really liked the sea bass. More so than the same prep with cod when I had it last.

Kind of a Spanish take on Southern blacked fish over dirty rice.

Tasty. I neglected to mention the meal began with a complimentary amuse bouche, a small taste of a white wine that had been infused or doctored to make it delicious. On balance, this resto seems to be aiming for the level of service and quality of a Michelin one star.

One of the most impressive things to me is how good those gluten free cheese puffs taste.

1 Like

Fiance’ and I celebrated our last date night as an unmarried couple at Taco Maria (after a dozen at Shuck, of course).

Best dishes of the night were the smoked sturgeon fish taco, the scallop with cheese and squid ink “crumbs”, the pork ribs, and the rib-eye cap.

The smoked sturgeon taco is the best fish taco I’ve ever had. And this is coming from someone who had their first fish taco at 10 years old fresh out of a cauldron of lard in a dirt-floored shack in San Felipe. I’ve always been a fried fish taco guy, but this thing was amazing.

The only thing we didn’t love was the trout with pea puree. The fish just didn’t stand up to the puree.

As far as QPR, say what you will about their rising prices, but I still think it’s a bargain for the quality.

Pictures turned out horribly, even by my low standards, so I’ll keep those to myself.

9 Likes

You speak of the bread in the bag?

Congrats @OCSteve. :slightly_smiling:

For Taco Maria, these dishes you tried… were they all ala carte? Or you ordered it as part of their tasting menu?

Thanks.

Thanks!

Our MO has always been to go in and order one of each item on the prix fixe menu and share everything.

Yes. So good you didn’t even know it was gluten free did you? :wink:

To clarify, only the cheese puff is gluten free (coconut flour) not the other piece of bread included in the bread bag.