February Weekend Rundown (2016)

A very similar “jiao” versus “bao” name battle was fought a few year back on Chowhound, if memory serves. I recall being very passionate on the topic back then, but the patina of time has tempered my views, I suppose…

My original take (which I still adhere to) is that if the dough-outside-with-meat-inside “thing” has a somewhat circular base, it’s a bao. Otherwise, it’s a jiao (especially if it looks “empanada”-ish)… And as I translate it, jiao is dumplings, not bao. Bao, as I translate it, is just bao in my book.

I need an Excedrin…

1 Like

It’s the same people making the same arguments :wink:

We all like dropping The Knowledge, which is fun and what makes this board interesting, but “XLB: is it dumpling or bao” is Clarissa Wei level dropping knowledge. It’s really not that earth shattering and probably insignificant.

Shumai would be bao under that description. Your definition works if you add the pleated/pinched top in addition to the circular base. Wikipedia it and lets meet up for tempura (or is it tenpura?) at Seiju in Tokyo.

Which is what my parents (who are both ethnically Chinese, grew up in Taiwan, and who both use “dumplings” for XLB and jiao zi when they choose to use English) would also probably say.

But, to @TonyC, for those us who are not well-versed in the cooking process and ingredients, what ARE the differences (genuine question)? For me, jiao zi are boiled; XLB and bao are steamed. As Porthos points out, though, the wrapper of a XLB really seems more similar to a jiao zi than a bao (the latter of which seems more bready and substantial to me). For filling, it’s hard for me to say. They both seem like ground up pork mixed w/ a few other ingredients. ::shrug:: What else am I missing? And what are the literally (or figurative) translations for the Mandarin that would help us to differentiate?

Don’t forget Guotie.

The filling is not enveloped completely by the wrapper (open on the top), and thus technically disqualified from consideration for the purposes of this discussion. And just to be complete, shumai is neither jiao or bao; it’s just shumai.

We ARE an obsessive bunch on this board, aren’t we?! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I count guo-tie as a variant of the jiao zi. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

go blue. where has this mark donnal been?

Waiting for Sean Connery’s question…

well… my understanding is shen jian and shui jian bao are in fact fried on the bottom then steamed. i would be happy to corrected if need be.

and my new favorites are the ones at…

TASTY NOODLE HOUSE

delicately crispy on the bottom, light and fluffy on top, moist juicy pork filling. kicks the kang kang version’s butt by a considerable margin. but to be fair, i consider them generic shui jian bao vs, the shanghai version shen jian bao as a deference to origin although the preparation style (minus the sesame seeds) are more or less the same.

2 Likes

Thanks @secretasianman BarryC. So is the difference in “shui jian bao” and “shen jian bao” just sesame seeds?

Yang’s in Shanghai. The gold standard.

Panfried. Top of the flat pan is covered with a wooden lid so it simultaneously “steams”. Like panfried dumplings. Otherwise you wouldn’t get the appropriately crispy bottom. Deleted my own photo because it was blurry. I’m sure @J_L has his.

Also to answer @TonyC. Yang’s calls their shenjian bao “dumplings”. That pretty much settles it right there. Nomenclature and shape arguments trumped. Like arguing with DTF about where to open their next branch. Really, no one is qualified to contest no matter how reasonable or right they think they are :wink:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/MobileViewPhoto-g308272-d1533218-i23652045-Shanghai_Yang_s_Fried_Dumplings_Huangpuhui-Shanghai.html

1 Like

You rang about Yang’s?

3 Likes

@J_L I mean a picture of them cooking it in the back to show BarryC that it’s panfried with covered lid and not steamed after frying.

Here’s one from TripAdvisor:

shui is the character for water, and the way i understand it (i can’t remember how the intelligence was brought to my attention) shui jian bao refers to the fried and water/steam cooking process, shen jian bao refers to the shanghai version, whatever that means. short version: shen jian bao is a subset of shui jian bao category; IIRC they’re referred to as shui jian bao in taiwan. i ordered them as shui jian bao at tasty noodle house.

it gets nebulous when it comes to XLB, they’re originally a shanghai concept, yet DTF is based in taiwan.

saw it. thanks. i’d love to see the specifics of how they trap moisture underneath so as to get the results of the fluffy bun yet get the crispy side as well.

So if you look at JL’s picture you’ll notice how delicate and thin Yang’s version is. Dumpling-like in thinness. That’s what makes Yang’s so good. Fluffiness is less of an issue. Also there is a small bowl of soup in there. How Yang’s stays intact with that much meat filling and that much soup with such a thin exterior is far more impressive than what DTF does.

As for specifics I am guessing the portion in direct contact with the pan (and lots of oil) crisps up the bottom while the top steams with the lid on. The wood and gaps between the wood slats allow just the right anount of moisture to get through without condensing and dripping back on to the bun to make it soggy.

Ask, and ye shall receive…

(Sorry I couldn’t find any photos showing the lid on, but I do corroborate your statement about the lid, Porthos)

7 Likes

Knew you had them :wink:

Last picture shows the lids in the background.

Great photos as always.

Because Thursday is the new Friday.

Lobster risotto at Valentino. They make some amazing risotto here.

8 Likes