First Time at Brent's Deli

You know I don’t think I’ve had a single memorable restaurant latke in la period. Lots of nice crispy homemade ones but no professional standouts anywhere here my opinion

2 Likes

5 Likes

I liked Brent’s a lot. Got the half sandwich and soup combo and supplemented with a latke. Matzo ball soup was HUGE – an enormous but appropriately light matzo ball, soup with some shredded chicken, pasta, carrots and more. Couldn’t come close to finishing it. Pastami on rye very good. Latke was ok, but seemed deep-fried rather than pan-fried. Very good service, not at all crowded early on a Saturday morning, plenty of opportunity to meet with my friend.

3 Likes

Nice!

LOL!. They do a really terrific mushroom barley and a pretty decent sweet and sour cabbage soup, too.

I have yet to find a really traditional old-world latke at any restaurant in L.A. area.

Glad you enjoyed Brent’s and the time with your friend.

The best latke I’ve ever had in a restaurant was actually in a bar.

The hubster and I went to check this place out, got the latkes and I told him - “If ever I can’t cook for Chanukah, we are coming here.”

No flour and very crispy and tasty.

That is medicinal soup! Heals all.

Which bar???!!!

1 Like

Oh criminy, I thought I pasted it in. That’ll teach me to post after 8! Sorry.

The Must Bar, in downtown LA.

http://www.themust.com/happy-hour/

2 Likes

Which fucking bar ???

Please pray tell.

For the fucking love, of all that is good in this fucked world and that ain’t no fucking joke.

Sorry Kevin, posted it above. Belatedly.

oh, I see now. my fucking bad.

thanks.

The Must Bar, in downtown LA.

The Must is great! Their pork tenderlion sliders are great too!

–Dommy!

Dommy -

Oh thank goodness.

It was just such an oddly wonderful find (Latkas? At a wine bar?) I am thrilled to hear you like the place too.

I had the tasty chicken sliders, not the pork, but I’ll tell my husband about your thoughts (he is a pork fan) and we will be off and running, I am sure : )

Thank you!

1 Like

Good sandwiches. The pastrami had nice flavor and a little grissle like it should. Bread was double baked but no Langers. The corned beef was good too but I prefer the pastrami. Ordered to go so no nice pictures.

I was ordering from one of the owners (i think). Nice older gentleman with a beautiful gold Rolex and big star of David necklace. I added on a knish to my order. He asks me what type? I gave him a kind of confused look and said round or square. He replied no - meat, potato or kasha. I immediately said there is no such thing as a meat or kasha knish. He goes you must be from NY. Funny interaction. Nice people there.

5 Likes

LOL! Great story!

I 100% agree with you about their corned beef.

What do you mean when you say there are no such things as meat or kasha knishes? LOL :slight_smile: Are you saying to you there’s no other, in other words you only like potato?

I ordered some Yonah Schimmel knishes delivered and all theirs have potato as the base. A kasha knish has kasha and potato and a meat knish has meat and potato.

I’m from Cleveland (though grew up in Miami), and I could’ve sworn I read somewhere that the person who founded Brent’s is from Cleveland, too. That may explain the Cleveland style knishes LOL!

1 Like

Although somewhat less common than potato, kasha knishes were available at a number of delis in New York when I was growing up there a few decades ago. Even rarer but around were a few other vegetable knishes such as spinach and carrot. As a kid, I tended to favor the potato or, if I wanted variety, the kasha, which was quite tasty. I don’t recall beef knishes but that might be because I was more focused on having pastrami or a knackwurst as my protein.

2 Likes

I grew up in Queens and never saw any type of knish other than potato. The only types of knish were either square or round. It was a funny :30 conversation but it sounded like he had that same interaction with people from NYC before.

Menu from Yonah Schimmel on the lower east side. I guess I never came across all these varieties. Not seeing a lot of square knish either.

1 Like

Never seen a square knish in Miami, Cleveland or out here except frozen Gabilas and the only restaurant I want to say was a Nathan’s, maybe?

Those are fried, right?