First time LA: foodie shops in West Hollywood/ close-ish

True. Gardens of Taxco then

If you visit the Santa Monica farmers market, you might try to make it to Rustic Canyon for dinner to see what one of California’s most produce-focused chefs does with what you see there. (Note that while well worth a visit the Original Farmers Market is not a farmers market and will give you no clue as to the glory of top-quality California produce.)

Surfas for sure if you’re in the business.

2 Likes

Genuine question: why would you recommend this if you want a first-time visitor (esp from a place not known for great Mexican food)?

It’s not only delicious, it’s also quite authentic but most importantly it’s a total trip and an experience one doesn’t soon forget.

Might as well mention Plant Food + Wine right by Gjusta if gonna mention Crossroads haha

Just call first to make sure Sergio is cooking.

1 Like

Completely disagree, nothing special about RC even though it’s not necessarily bad. I ate there a couple weeks ago. It’s now the kind of place where they don’t even know the farm that their 40 oz cote de boeuf comes from. Their level of produce focus is practically the bare minimum of any decent restaurant that is charging ~$100/person to eat there in LA, not a shining beacon of it.

The meal was so generally forgettable it’s literally slipped my mind that I even ate there until seeing this…I guess I should write something about it though.

Everyone other serious chef in LA sources insane produce, at places like Hatchet Hall you can actually taste the produce being used in interesting ways. Heck, even at Gjusta you can taste awesomely sourced produce being used to its fullest extent.

There is no reason at all someone coming from London should eat at RC, unless they just feel like experiencing disappointment for spending a large chunk of cash.

1 Like

I think the food there is fine (I went once a few yrs ago), but I vaguely felt like I was in a Mexican version of a minstrel show, so, to the OP, YMMV.

OP is from England. They only eat chips over there. And crumpets on Sundays.

I assume you’re exaggerating for effect? OP is from London specifically. When I went to London, I had Indian food, prosciutto, paella, sandwiches w/ incredible QPR from Pret A Manger, and, yes, a fair amount of fish and chips (which I actually didn’t think was that great, truth be told; ditto on the Indian food). We have nothing, IMHO, like their Borough Market (the top floor of Santa Monica Place was a very wasted opportunity…).

If OP wants kitsch, that’s fine, but I think the OP should be aware that that’s partly what Gardens of Taxaco is…

I personally would be recommending to the OP to drive through Thai Town and K-town at night and try the spots recommended on various threads on FTC. I think Ricky’s or Tacos Punta Cabras or Monte Alban/Juquila would be a great way to sample what LA has to offer for Mexican.

A nice thought, but across the English Channel in Paris, the Petrossian flagship is far more interesting than the WeHo store.

I mention Crossroads because it is close to the area that the OP is staying. Plant Food + Wine - how is it?

Are we looking for restaurants or shops and markets?

There’s really no doubt that Jeremy Fox knows where his ingredients come from.

https://twitter.com/CHEFJEREMYFOX

http://luckypeach.com/fantastic-mr-fox/

FMs were mentioned. Just piggybacking on that. I’m assuming the OP will have to eat…

No doubt, my bad.

Exactly. Stores/markets has devolved into restaurants.

Actually there IS some fucking doubt. In fact, MORE than “some fucking doubt”, ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY. Because i was, you know, at the fucking restaurant, and they didn’t know where one of their main ingredients comes from.

You want to trust a chef’s hipster twitter feed over the actual restaurant experience then why even bother going to restaurants? lol

Maybe the hipster chef knows, but his kitchen doesn’t, which is much the same thing in the end.

That’s a minor quibble though. Yet again, I’ll reiterate, Fox’s kitchen doesn’t utilize their precious produce any better than the average chef operating at that level in LA, and they charge mored than almost anyone else for it.

But hey, you want to eat on Twitter? be my guest shrugs

IMP wholesale only!

1 Like

Errr London’s food scene is very decent. Delis, kitchenware, gourmet food, pastries, bakeries, butchers, Indian food etc smoke the pants off LA…

Ever heard of Billingsgate?? Trying finding something comparable in LA…

Vs. IMP

1 Like