Food in the Hood

So I was running errands this morning, Dry Cleaner and Mama’s Chicken for sausages, when at the corner of Slauson and Western I came across a Gumbo Vendor. Game for anything even at 9 in the morning, I tried it. It was tasty. The flavors were subtle. It has crab legs, shrimp, chicken, and Andouille. It wasn’t salty. Also it was a little brothier than I would expect but it was still tasty. They also added the chicken to the gumbo at serving which kept it from being stringy and dried out. The couple who was running the stand seem to do it as a catering gig in addition to the stand. Dommy thinks they used to work on the corner of Stocker and Crenshaw but I can’t confirm. I’m not sure how often their stand is out. It’s in the same parking lot where the lady where I get torta de tamal is

12 Likes

Nice find.

There’s a similar lady (or operation), also with igloo-style coolers, outside of California Hospital Medical Center on Grand Ave / 14th in DTLA selling atole de avena, usually between 6 a.m. to about 8 a.m, or until supplies last.

2 Likes

Hahaha, true food sleuthing.

Nice find too!

2 Likes

What are you holding in the 2nd pic?

1 Like

Nothing like a tamal sandwich to chase down a good bowl of gumbo!

2 Likes

We came across a gumbo cart back in April on the corner of Crenshaw and Jefferson. They seemed to be there regularly in the early evening. A little too salty for my taste.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEnCCZnHIkf/?taken-by=chandavkl

1 Like