Food prices rising: real or contrived?

I hear reports that the price of Lobster has come down to half what it was, yet the consumer is not feeling it at the market or restaurants. Prices for an iconic New England-style lobster roll continue to hover in the stratosphere…

Maybe you should read the whole article.

I’ll put my odds on co-op advertising campaign by Ben & Jerry.

1 Like

I understand, Ns1. I question their ability to do this while prices continue to be inflated. Is it a con, or an actual lost leader?

It’s an advertising expense

1 Like

Update to my previous inflation outrage. Melona bars were $3.99 on sale (reg. $5.99) at the Little Tokyo Marketplace. I was shopping in the wrong places.

1 Like

Loss leaders are a promotional expense.

While stocking up on bagels and lox I paid $4.99 for a package of Philly Cream Cheese. Ouch! Let’s not even bring up butter…

Ouch. I need to buy a package to make a dessert later this week. I think the generic supermarket white label brands are the same based on the actual packaging.

We use TJ’s Cream Cheese for our cheesecakes. Aldi’s is not good. I will say that Philadelphia is the best tasting however and when that flavor matters, we prefer it.

1 Like

I buy that at Costco. Six-pack of 8-oz. blocks for around $12. Keeps fine for months

2 Likes

Buying in bulk was always the better way to save money. Wish we had the space for all of it…

2 Likes

Inflation seems to be moderating for some items, thought it will probably never get back to where it was. Never does.
In these parts, fresh baked goods, cakes, pies are still high priced…

2 Likes

Shrinkflation - when products or packaging are subtly manipulated so that a person pays the same price, or even slightly more, for something but gets less of it.

1 Like

Well, we all know the cost of making that omelet or cake has risen dramatically. Now there are calls for a probe of the egg producers/industry by the FTC. US farm group calls for probe of high egg prices | Fox Business
I know there are other issues involved. Let’s find out: Real or Contrived!

1 Like

Ridiculous question. It’s real regardless of the cause.

The avian influenza outbreak or bird flu that began in February 2022 is a key factor in the price hike. The outbreak has killed approximately 60 million birds, which includes 41 million commercial egg-laying hens,

https://www.axios.com/2023/01/22/egg-shortage-high-prices-bird-flu

I went to Tito’s tacos, and I got a burrito and two tacos and it was $25 freaking dollars.

Edit. Oops i see this is about grocery stores. But I’m so mad… Yes I should have walked off.

3 Likes

Finally, a carton of one dozen eggs for $1.49. At Trader Joe’s, New York metro. Never thought we would see than again…

1 Like

A Facebook memory from a few years ago and I had gotten corn for 17 cents an ear. I’m paying way more than a dollar. I wonder if it’s because of sucky weather.

1 Like

My local taco stand raised taco prices by 50% ($1) to $3/taco - I now need to bring more than $20 to the taco stand. Never has rising food prices been so real.

1 Like