Food prices rising: real or contrived?

Have you checked the price of shrimp or sea scallops lately, fresh halibut etc.? We’ve resorted to buying frozen and reconstituting to best possible. If done carefully, there’s a good outcome…

1 Like

https://monterey-fish-retail-pickup-berkeley.square.site/

11 posts were split to a new topic: Pandemic mustard shortage

Greed is a minor issue. Groceries are perishable and if you don’t sell your product you lose, so it’s not like you can refuse to lower your price and hold it to sell later. Or as they told me in business school the motto for this sector is “Sell it or smell it.”

2 Likes

I wonder what the % of 'fresh" to not is.

The other issue with the grocery business is that the industry wide net profit as a percentage of sales is about 2 percent. Which means supermarkets make their money on volume, so regardless of whether their merchandise is fresh or dry, their priority is to sell everything as soon as possible.

2 Likes

The new term I am hearing on the news is: Greedflation! While the public is getting screwed, corporate profits are rising bigtime. (That includes gas, too.) Go figure?

1 Like

This is not new. At all.

2 Likes

Not new, but what to do about it? As history has shown, once prices begin to moderate, and they are in some cases, I doubt they will ever fully come back to where they were. That’s the way our economy works. Remember what a damn burger cost years ago? What does that same burger cost now? And some economists are saying: the corporate sector should be allowed to maximize profits…

I can only speak for myself, but rising prices have not had much impact on me (and not because I have a ton of money). I mostly shop at the Union Square Greenmarket and Trader Joe’s, and prices there are pretty much the same as the past several years. Restaurant prices are definitely higher, but I certainly don’t begrudge restaurants trying to recover from the past few years, and no one needs to eat out.

And complaining that

is silly. Have they ever? Since you were born? Minimum wage (and other compensation) also only goes in one direction: up. I don’t see a lot of whinging about that.

1 Like

We actually agree on much of this, small_h. However, much of the country is whining about this right now, throwing blame around, as if there was some magic bullet to correct the problem. Just frustrated and adding to the chorus…

First you write

And then

So are you looking for a solution or admitting there isn’t one?

1 Like
1 Like

The good news is we saw regular gas prices drop to $4.19 at Costco this morning here in Westchester County, N.Y. The bad news, we steered away from small baskets of plums priced at $8 per (usually around $2.99) pound at our local farmers market last weekend. Not that farmers markets were ever a bargain…

Craved a Sundae so we stopped at a local Haagen Dazs ice cream shop. The price list was shocking: our Chocolate Fudge Sundae with mint chip ice cream, topped with whipped cream and Maraschino cherry which we shared came to $12. Better off buying a container at the market and bringing it home…

2 Likes

One pound of Land O’ Lakes butter was priced at $8 plus change at a local market here. Wow, might have to find decent substitutes…

What I have noticed is that prices seem to rise in substantial increments, not nickel or dime. 4lb sugar that held at 2.49 for several years jumped to 2.99; Mayo promoted at 2.99, now 3.49. Organic chicken breast from 6.99 to 7.99.

1 Like

The price for fancy French prunes I bought on Amazon three months ago has gone up 20%.