For Those Who Will Never Get To Walnut--A Visit To XLB Dumpling Bar

Hot pots are outpacing boba shops in the SGV.

1 Like

Finally made it yesterday. Getting there around noon on a Thursday with a group of 8 was no issue; the restaurant was lively but not super packed.

We were also unable to get any of the cheeseburger baos, but can confirm the XLB were porky and delicious, the wontons were delicate and pretty good, the dan dan noodles were very peanuty, and the pork + shrimp dumplings were good when dipped in their ginger vinegar sauce or spicy dipping sauce. Coworkers who ordered the purple taro ube milk tea enjoyed it. An enormous feast ended up being $13/pp. Also the space is fairly gleaming, looking not unlike every all-white kitchen on HGTV these days.

3 Likes

Just had the cheeseburger bao for the first time. The flavor is not unlike that of a McDonald’s double cheeseburger.

1 Like

Update: they now have al pastor dumplings. Not bad, though to put them over the top I think they need to figure out something with fresh pineapple.

You mean shenjianbao? Or steamed bao with al pastor filling?

the latter.

Awesome. Thanks!

Here, this is a yelp pic of them. Really, they’re just your average steamed dumpling just filled with al-pastor flavored pork.

2 Likes

Did you mix the dumplings w/ a sauce of some sort?

They have a bunch of different sauces there but the al pastor didn’t need any.

Then presumably the dumplings weren’t plain b/c dumpling skins aren’t normally that color, no?

Just read that they are opening a branch in Brea Plaza where Which Wich was located. (Imperial and Associated). Great coincidence as we will moving 1 mile away.

2 Likes

@JRSD - welcome to the neighborhood. I live in Brea. Let me know if you need any recs.

Thanks! We are in Fullerton now and will still be in Fullerton on the Brea border but appreciate the offer. Still looking for a reliable place to grab a good beer. Be forewarned I am now much closer to the WF bacon bar…

1 Like

@JRSD that’s not funny. I’m going to start lining up at 7am so you, @PorkyBelly and @Gr8pimpin don’t take all the bacon.

Not many places for good beers in Brea. The closest places around here that I’d recommend are

Kelly’s Korner Tavern in Yorba Linda. They actually have good bar food and around 20 taps.

Meat Up BBQ in Placentia. The BBQ is ok. They have tap takeovers from local SoCal places about once per quarter.

Alza Osteria in Brea. The owner is a big beer guy and gets a lot of good bottles and kegs. He’ll get some hard to find kegs out here like Maine Beer Co

Wiseguys Pizza in Yorba Linda. Pizza is a better version of Costco pizza. They have ~20 taps and a good selection.

Hacienda Liquor on Brea Blvd is the best bottle shop in Brea.

6 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
I knew I’d be blamed!!

2 Likes

I forget about Alza but am about twice as close now so could see it on the rotation. Wish I liked the food there a little bit more. I have stumbled into some gems there, some 3F and other Belgian bottles as well some good Prairie stuff as well.

I keep meaning to check out Cask and Hammer on Harbor in La Habra, looks like it has potential. Love Hacienda but still have a bunch of stuff from trading/cellaring that I am trying to clear out!

Bowery Pizza and Pickled Monk in DTF both have decent beer on tap. Bowery has darts, pinball and other amusements for the family as well. I had a Mikkeller SD Hazy IPA there recently and another TIPA that they brought me a taster of that was excellent that I can’t recall the name of.

Yes. I feel the same about Alza food.

I went to cask n hammer once. OK beer list but it smells like a bar. I’m too old for those types of joints.

I should venture to Whittier more. Went to the Monk and Bottle Room a handful of times. Enjoyed the beers and our meals but always forget bc it’s a good 30 minutes from us since we are closer to Yorba Linda side.

Taps happy hour is great. Good food and underrated beers.

2 Likes

IIRC you work in pasadena. gak; i drove the other way to brea 20 years ago and the commute already sucked then. on fridays i skipped the 57N altogether and took lambert west to harbor to the 60 to rosemead and was happy if it took an hour because the 57N 210W was going to take at least 1.5 hours.

1 Like

Good memory. I used to. Even with a carpool lane sticker it would take me about 1:15 from Brea to old town. The carpool lane doesn’t move well on the 210.

1 Like