Former Dallas Chowhound Travelling to LA

I wouldn’t go out of my way for Haven.

3 Likes

Re: Monte Alban, you have been to Oaxaca, so there is no need to go there. Or any Los Angeles Oaxacan. Unless you are craving Oaxacan. They are good but not orgasmic.
Re Belcampo - you have had burgers that are better. Not worth it IMHO.

Gjusta indeed OTOH is great, and very LA of the moment. Orgasmic, in fact.

2 Likes

@CiaoBob, ok your enthusiastic rec has pushed me over the edge. I must try this place asap. :smile:

i posted a review of loteria grill last night.

do NOT go there.
everything about the meal ranked somewhere between “mediocre” and “poor.”
there was not even one item that i nor my dining partner would ever want to have again.

@westsidegal What about Taco Maria in Costa Mesa? I will look for your review of Loteria Grill

Chinese
J.Zhou in Tustin for some expensive ingredients Chinese dinners
China Red - if Sea Harbour is too crowded

Vietnamese
Pho Filet - El Monte
Ngu Binh (Bun Bo Hue) - Westminster
Mr. Baguette (Bahn mi) - multiple locations. Must consume immediately.

Mexican
Petty Cash Tacqueria - hipster tacos.
Taco Maria

Japanese
Tsujita Ramen
Manichi Ramen - Little Tokyo
Marugame Monzo Udon - Little Tokyo
Oumi Sasaya
Raku (New izakaya place)
Why no sushi? Dallas sushi not good…

Other Asian
Papparich - Malaysian in Monterey Park
Arko Foods - Filipino mixed rice, lunch takeout only
Kobawoo - Korean
Sul & Beans - Korean shaved ice

Other:
Cassia
Chi Spacca
Stone Brewing Company Store - Pasadena. Beer only, no food, you can order from pizza joint across if you need food.
Roma Market - Pasadena (Lunch sandwich takeout only, there is only 1 option)
Lincoln - Pasadena
Connie & Ted’s
Mohawk Bend
Father’s Office
Angelini Osteria
Factory Kitchen
Our many coffee joints - Intelligentsia, Cognoscenti, Stumptown, Copa Vida etc etc. Dallas no good coffee…

1 Like

Just know Father’s Office is 21 and up only. One great burger there too. Don’t miss Tsujita.

Tsujita Photo from www.discoverlosangeles.com

2 Likes

@Sgee There are a few places that the sushi might be good here in Dallas. Sushi is not the priority with a 3 yo though. Ramen, Udon and okonomiyaki is better for a small kid. Probably nixing Father’s Office and Raku (maybe next trip)

Compared to other large cities Dallas and Houston the coffee scene here is very poor.

sorry, i don’t venture that far away from the westside.
DON’T go to loteria grill.
went there last night.
my review was posted last night.

not one item that i would ever want to have again.

1 Like

grab some fucking GCM coffee. or blacktop in dtla about a mile or so east of gcm in the fucking artist’s districts.

a cortado or Gibraltar or two would do quite nicely.

phillipe’s the original is fun and a unique piece of LA. some will say the sandwiches are great, others not. but it’s a nice piece of LA.

Jitlada to the list would be great too.

That marugame mongo udon place in little Tokyo is great with chilled udon too and and tempura. The little one night like seeing them make the noodles behind the glass wall in there.

Also a cool mochi place a door or two down that could be fun for your kid (and u).

for roma deli, it’s definitely not their fucking strong suit and is not the “The Sandwich” but I get their turkey sandwich.

Are you talking about the same place? Referring to this Roma Market (not deli). Only get the sandwich made by the 76yr old owner

1 Like

that’s the crusty old curmudgeon in the flesh.

I like that guy.

once I asked, “does mayo come on your sandwiches ???”

his response or sort of his response: “mayo ???” as if that was even a fucking question.

Yep. Ros, or Rosario, the joint on Lake maybe a mile or so mile north of The Hat

1 Like

You and little one might enjoy the Santa Monica pier which has some good stuff like japadog and the frozen custard at pier burger.

1 Like

We also have a bunch of great ice cream joints for the little one if you are so predisposed. Dallas lacks good ice cream joints…

[quote=“kevin, post:34, topic:1197, full:true”]

…his response or sort of his response: “mayo ???” as if that was even a fucking question…[/quote]

:smile: Seriously dude, asking the elderly guy from the old country about mayo on the sammies!!! What were you thinking???

1 Like

@kevin Below is the reason I am skipping Jitlada…maybe if I had a large group and we called to tell them we were coming is where I might reconsider. My review of my last trip 4 years ago sums up why I left off Jitlada. Poor food for such a highly lauded restaurant at the time sums it up.

No reason to drive all the way to Costa Mesa for a taco when we have Tacos Por Favor, and others. Loteria is a no, unless you go to the original in the Famers Market. Since you’ve been to Oaxaca, no need for Monte Alban, although their Chicken Consomme is outstanding.

My experience with Jitlada mirrors yours exactly, so you’re not alone.

1 Like