Former host at Republique: threat or menace?

So how recent was your bad experience with the host?

1 Like

Warrior: I’ll be honest. The worst part of the Republique experience is the check-in. In the past, we’ve had to wait for substantial periods of time (e.g., 15 minutes) past our reservation time. While I understand that this is management’s fault, not the hosts’, I do not appreciate the hosts’ indifferent “your table’s not ready yet” attitude. We often pay $500 or more at Republique, and we are always there on time. The hosts’ attitude should be apologetic and concerned.

4 Likes

when was the last time someone has seen host guy? I think he moved on, I haven’t seen him since the reopen. fwiw I never had a problem with him, but I can see how people might not like him.

3 Likes

At least one restaurant I frequent took advantage of their lockdown closure to not rehire a host that I guess the owner wasn’t happy with. It’s much easier not to rehire someone than to fire them.

2 Likes

we’ve had to wait for substantial periods of time

(e.g., 15 minutes)

the horror, oh my god I’m so sorry you had to endure such torture

7 Likes

This. He had the attitude that customers are lucky to wait for a table at Republique. The wait didn’t bother us but the host obliviously explaining his curly hair styling regiment to a line of waiting customers made me think that being in the service industry might not be the right fit for him.

P.S. The doggy story is sweet @Ns1!

2 Likes

Maybe he got that Tom Ford gig and is now gracing runways around the world with his presence.

4 Likes

shortly before the Pandemic started

That’s surprising since he had a very “Have” and “Have not’s” Attitude regarding regulars vs. others.

The word is, “Hospitality”. If they are paying $500 (or anything at all), it’s absolutely the wrong attitude to have. Please.

1 Like

The flip side in LA is maybe that some people who are regulars at places like Republique will be pissed off if they’re not treated better than pleb randos.

Which is not to say that he was doing a good job. Special treatment for regulars and VIPs should be discreet.

2 Likes

“The King of Spain is waiting in the bar, but your table is ready,” says Mr. Maccioni, sweeping us majestically past the waiting masses. Behind us a bejeweled older woman whines, “We’ve been waiting a half-hour,” but nobody pays her any mind.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t trade LA for any other city in the US in terms of food quality, breadth, options, and pricing, but something that is typically sorely lacking is the level of hospitality in FOH staff.

Maybe that’s why out of town imports such as angler and majordomo have wowed me in terms of service because they seem to be so much more hospitable/professional and well trained.

But also living here this long I guess I’m used to it and thankful when I get a water refill and someone that actually knows the menu lol.

8 Likes

Warrior: There is an easy fix that would make me forgive and forget the fact that Republique (and this applies to Bestia and Bavel too) routinely doesn’t honor our reservation times because they’re trying to pack in too many tables per night. Instead of telling me that I can go to the bar and buy a drink, they could say: “We’re so sorry – can we give you a drink on the house?” It’s about the attitude. It is a service and hospitality industry, not the DMV.

2 Likes

This is not a club. Literally ignoring a few of us to allow someone to the front of the line when the place is 15% full is ridiculous not even taking into account the way in which they do it.

The fact that this has become a real discussion compared to the other 95% of restaurants on this board instead of the FOOD says it all.

Lol I feel like I’ve gotten myself roped into a conversation about wait times at restaurants. Nope. I’m restricting my comments to the memorable but probably departed, tall, curly, diva host. :wink:

4 Likes

Lol we definitely used to make risky decisions planning the seating map before service/in the moment to accommodate regulars/vips and would pray for everything to work out. Hell we’d do it for guests just to see if we could squeeze one more table in.

That said a bad attitude bugs the shit out of me. Handle that shit with grace.

4 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Republique

well if the guy is gone maybe I will go back and try the food again

I think it was irresponsible of you to report this kind of service issue while neglecting to mention that it happened over a year and a half ago.

14 Likes