France? Some of you know

Yes, I know there’s a France area but it’s dead and I see that some of the people I trust here have been there recently.

What are you findings? I know Paris fairly well, been 4 times… and dont really have much time there this time so unless something completely blew you away… Anything else you found spectacular south of Paris? Like anywhere, south, south west, south east.

Heading next month

Here is a link to John Talbot’s blog, http://johntalbottsparis.typepad.com/. He was the go-to guy for France on Chowhounds. He centers on Paris, but has a great blogroll. I’m sure you can find something there.
My wife and I were in the southwest of France three years ago for our 25th. Had a wonderful time in Tours, and the Dordogne. Both incredibly beautiful and great food.

First picture is a tiny bistro in Bergerac. Next three are from a lovely spot in Tours run by a pupil of Christian Constant. Le Petit Patrimonie I believe.
Have a wonderful time!

3 Likes

i used to read that talbot fellow’s posts on ch. top drawer stuff and very helpful.
when i return to paris – i may not eat out every meal, but damnit, i’m going to return to paris(shout out to wsg) – i will
be taking his advice.

thanks for the link to his blog.

2 Likes

thanks for that! will be in both tours and dordogne

1 Like

depends on what you like.

if you crave bistro stuff, head to lyon. if you want to eat surprisingly well for cheap, take the back roads and eat at truck stops. i personally have a preference for the provence region which is much more mediterranean influenced. if you enjoy tripe, you will enjoy “pied et paquet” which is probably most popular closer to marseilles but can be found pretty much throughout provence. if you like olives, definitely try the tapenade. garlic - the aioli, served with boiled veggies, fish & other seafood.

if we could get sandwiches in the US in supermarkets like the baguettes they sell in supermarkets everywhere, i could eat those for lunch everyday and be a happy person.

3 Likes

You will have a great time. We stayed at this hotel in Marquay, https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1580714-d1632988-Reviews-Hotel_Mounea-Marquay_Sarlat_la_Caneda_Dordogne_Aquitaine.html. So beautiful. Looking out the window was like looking at Buttercup’s farm in “The Princess Bride”. There is only one restaurant in town, but it is close to both Sarlat and Les Eyzies, and there is a foie gras farm/restaurant right down the road. Village is charming. They don’t even lock the church; it just has a sign asking you to close the door when you leave.

Going to Lyon. Going to eat the crap out of lyon… will have to eat a lot of duck around provence… i think we settled on Avignon as home base. cheers.

3 Likes

Cant wait for Sarlat… apparently we just booked an airbnb…

Make sure you check out Domme, Rocamadour, and Les Eyzies if you have time. You probably know this but be careful your first lunch…three courses with wine can wipe me out for a few days.
Pics of Les Eyzies

Thank you!

be careful with what lunch?

First time I went to the Dordogne, 1989, my in-laws picked us up. My brother-in-law was green after having had a three course lunch. Next day I had a three course lunch and couldn’t eat dinner - and you don’t want to waste a meal in the Dordogne. I learned to pace myself. It takes a little adjustment, at least for me, to eat like the French do.
Make sure you rent a car! The countryside is so beautiful. Take pictures and report back please!!

1 Like

i love avignon, though i’ve never seen anyone dancing on the bridge (i’ve been told they dance under the bridge).

i meant to stay there one night and i think i spent 3 days there. i really enjoyed seeing the papal palace, though it was probably as much the cute blonde girl i met there during a tour as much as the architecture.

[quote=“ebethsdad, post:6, topic:3980”]
So beautiful. Looking out the window was like looking at Buttercup’s farm in “The Princess Bride”. There is only one restaurant in town, but it is close to both Sarlat and Les Eyzies, and there is a foie gras farm/restaurant right down the road. Village is charming. They don’t even lock the church; it just has a sign asking you to close the door when you leave.
[/quote]Sounds like heaven.

I guess I should have continued reading before commenting… :heart_eyes: Beautiful.

It really is incredible. @theoffalo would go crazy there. Organ meats, foie gras, pates, and of course, if you go in winter, fresh black truffles…besides it being one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been.

You’re killing me

1 Like

very partial to the southwest…foie gras…Armagnac … the Basque region… Plus the proximity to San Sebastián with its freakish concentration of ultra talented chefs… Yeah, it’s in Spain but why let a border get in the way of your dining enjoyment?

1 Like

Where you thinking in Lyon? I can dig up some recommendations. Spent a month there last February. Do the lunch at Troisgros. It’s 100 euros and damn spectacular.

I loved Cancale. If you’re an oyster fan, this is such a great stop. Very small town on the coast with a bunch of little restaurants and a market that sells a slew of different oysters. But since it sounds like you’ll be spending more time in the Avignon region, it may not make sense geographically.

Have a great trip!

In Paris, le comptoir du relais is pretty extraordinary

1 Like