Fresh, Bright Farmers Market-Driven Street Food - Guerrilla Tacos (the Brick & Mortar) - Grand Opening! [Thoughts + Pics]

Corruption

This looks amazing. Can you reserve this omakase or do you have to just show up and hope heā€™s there?

Hi @Haeldaur,

Thanks. You call in advance and confirm heā€™s there. Generally we were told ā€œWed - Satā€ Dinner time.

1 Like

Had the Omakase last night, I canā€™t wait to do it again. I enjoyed everything that Chef Wes served to us. Highlight is the rib eye taco with complimentary foie gras! That was so freakinā€™ decadent! And look at the size of the foie!

9 Likes

Only in LA, order a taco get a free foie gras supplement.:crazy_face:

5 Likes

Hi @Hungrydrunk,

Nice! Isnā€™t it awesome? Chef Wes is making some great dishes for his new Omakase menu. Yes heā€™s so generous with the free food. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Went last Saturday for omakase was such a great time. Super good atmosphere fun good energy, and very tasty drinks.

I would say service is some of the best Iā€™ve experienced in the city every one of our servers was friendly and helpful, even though they donā€™t generally do full table service except for omakase

Amuse: a shot of mezcal with a blood orange slice and Lucas powder. Iā€™m not sure if it was supposed to be a shooter but we definitely shot it and it set the tone for the evening.

Chile releno squash blossom stuffed with ricotta. Perfectly fried crisp and great texture from the ricotta cheese. Marinated onions brought a nice acidic punch of flavor. Black bean sauce added a earthy smoky element

Second course: surf clam ceviche marinated in a salsa morita and fish sauce. Super fresh clams mixed in a traditional ceviche style with heirloom tomatoes . So bright fresh and flavorful. Clam itself was chewy (in a good way) and meaty. Only one minor hiccup was the fish sauce was a little too forward and pungent. (Not pictured I took a video)

Mi vida pocha and the Ramon bravo. Their drinks are some of the best and strongest in town. None of the drinks we sampled were overly sweet and the spicy Ramon bravo was my favorite

Third course gnocchi with mixed meat. I know the title doesnā€™t sound delicious but this dish was one of our favorites. First Iā€™ve never had an unsauced gnocchi dish but the gnocchis made by chef wes were softy fluffy pillows. It was served with mixed meat and stir fried on the flat top. Kind of reminds me of dry style beef chow fun and it had a similar flavor profile and definitely had some wok hei going.
Super surprising but amazingly tasty.

Seared swordfish with sweet corn and a butter sauce. Chef Wes told us he invented the dish the day before and he knew it would work because it was ā€œfucking deliciousā€ and i canā€™t describe it any other way because thatā€™s what it was.

The best bite of the meal. ā€œDuck liverā€ with a5 waygu ribeye amazing. So decadent and delicious. This is probably my favorite dish of 2019.

Roasted berries with fresh cream and a griddled cornbread. Amazing way to end the meal. Partner said it was the best cornbread sheā€™d ever eaten.

Overall the meal was spectacular, 75 bucks for this amount/ quality of food is out of this world. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve had more fun at a restaurant than this experience in a long time other than sushi sho in Hawaii but thatā€™s at a totally different price point. We will definitely be back, partner actually wants to go this weekend again :sweat_smile:. I love how thereā€™s no menu so every course on the omakase is truly a surprise and a ā€œtrust meā€.
Chef Wes was very friendly and stopped by twice to talk to us. He asked how Iā€™d heard about it and I told him about FTC and he gave me a blank stare :joy:. He said heā€™s trying to keep the omakase low key and not doing any press so that he can continue pumping out quality dishes. He told me he comes up with the menu ad hoc with whatever is on hand and fresh so the menu will change constantly. If you go be sure to call ahead to see if heā€™s in and also plan on going either early or later so that the chef and his kitchen can be more attentive since they usually have a dinner rush between 630-8. Definitely a travel worthy restaurant.

8 Likes

Hi @hungryhungryhippos,

So glad you enjoyed Chef Wesā€™ Omakase! :slight_smile: Definitely a steal considering itā€™s Chef Wes personally cooking every dish for you, and coming up with fun / interesting, quality dishes (that focus on deliciousness first (over presentation / style)). When he gets to let loose and cook up stuff in this specialized format, you really get to see into the heart of why Guerrilla Tacos got popular in the first placeā€¦ that creative spark, his OG Mexican + American heritage / upbringing merged with classic French culinary training.

And heā€™s so humble and a downright approachable person. :blush:

Canā€™t wait to go back as well.

1 Like

Do I need to make a reservation ahead and tell them that I want omakase?

Heā€™s usually there wed-sat. Call ahead and ask if Chef Wes will be in and tell them you will be coming in for the omakase.

2 Likes

No reservations required just call ahead as @Hungrydrunk stated

2 Likes

I think this will allow him to rotate a portion of the menu more often since they kind of got rid of the daily taco menu changes they used to have at the truck, which is awesome for omakase frequenters

1 Like

Guerrilla Tacos Redux

Sh*t is Bananas & Paging Doctor Rum

Paging Dr Rum has 2 Rums, Coco Lopez, Kafir Leaves, Lemon Grass, Lime, Pineapple, Orange. Itā€™s tropical, creamy deliciousness. I was tickled by the Coco Lopez, because my parents always had cans of it in the bar and I would sneak spoonfuls. :blush: Caution - itā€™s creamy but really sweet and it slightly overpowered the fruits (think the coconut version of condensed milk). Sh*t is Bananas has Housemade Banana Rum, Mount Gay Rum (eh, eh man), Svol Aquavit (no idea), Pineapple, Orgeat (almond flavor), Lemon. Interesting, balanced, nice layers of flavors. Drinks were on point!

Central Coast Grassy Bar Oysters (best sustainable rating), Ponzu, Santa Barbara Uni, Chives

Itā€™s their 3 Oyster Special and first day of this flavor combination. We sent compliments to the chef. It should become the everyday flavor combination, F the mignonette. The oyster was super briny, creamy w/a bit of tug, Uni upped the creamy, sweet, brininess and ponzu provided a nice, little slurp of flavor. Shells were thin and there was a couple of shell bits on one, but still. :blush:

Hamachi Tostada - Hamachi (yellowtail), Chile del Valle, Salsa Bruja, Plums, Chives

Gilded w/a Dab of Avocado Salsa

Redemption! When we had this opening weekend it was a bit of a careless mess. Today? Weird to say about a raw Hamachi dish, but itā€™s kindaā€™ richā€¦ and wonderful. :blush:

Char Siu, Baby! :heart:

We both (meaning me & the $1.50 street taco guy) agreed itā€™s our favorite taco, maybe period. The tenderness, fat & slight chew of the Beelerā€™s pork (humane!), lots of garlic, hint of 5-star, good char, pickled onions. Just great. Next time I will get it with double tortillas, because a) itā€™s so juicy w/drippings. b) their tortillas are thin. c) I like them!

Sweet Potato Taco - Roasted Sweet Potato, Almond Chile, Feta Cheese, Fried Corn, Scallions

Yep @Chowseeker1999. This time it was like the one you love. Harmony of soft caramelized sweet potato, extra spicy almond chili sauce, creamy tart cheese, crunchy corn crumbles, lovinā€™ the tortillas. Just yes. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

Great report and so glad you had a great experience at Guerrilla Tacos. :slight_smile: Yah they have some surprisingly solid Cocktails, due to the bar program being instituted by one of the best that L.A. has to offer with the Vaā€™La group (although they no longer are on-site making the drinks, they taught the staff).

Love their Tacos, and Iā€™ll have to try their Char Siu Tacos again (havenā€™t had them since they were rotated back on the menu). :slight_smile:

Give their Baja Cod Tacos a try next time, along with the Lobster Quesadilla. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for nudging me to go back @Chowseeker1999.

So happy! Iā€™m still thinking about the Char Siu Tacos. And youā€™re right, the drinks are delish. The best compliment I can give is we didnā€™t even feel the urge to stop in ERB for my favorite burger, which we never pass up no matter how full we are.

@hungryhungryhippos Omakase seemed pretty great. I donā€™t think I could eat all that in one sitting. But A. says he could knock it out no problem, so Iā€™ll get to take bites.

Need to be in DTLA again next week. TBCā€¦

1 Like

Char Siu! Spell correction. If your gonnaā€™ love it you better learn how to spell it. :relaxed:

I just saw this posted by @Ns1. So much for one of us ordering ALC and the other Omakase. I guess Iā€™ll have to suffer thru a whole Omakase on my own. Life is tough. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

well it was good while it lasted

2 Likes

Iā€™m waiting for the huitlacoche supplement

2 Likes

:raising_hand_man: