Fresh white truffles for dinner from Guidi Marcello

I was buying some goodies at Guidi Marcello when they told me they had some white truffles available. I was a wee hesitant, never having used fresh truffles at home before. But I did get a small one, around 1/2 oz. They told me to make with egg pasta. I read further directions in Cooking By Hand, that said egg pasta, butter, sea salt, parmesan and white truffle was all that was needed.

I boiled egg pasta and then loaded it up with butter!

We tried to shave the truffle with the one part of the cheese grater but it didn’t work very well and in the end had to dice the truffle.

Truffle with slices and dices and parmesan.

Wow!! So simple and delicious! Went back for more but they were all sold out. They might have more white truffle next week!

3 Likes

They have some of the best olive oil around, esp. the selection of Olio Farchioni.

1 Like

A microplane works fine if you don’t have a truffle shaver. A vegetable peeler could work too.

1 Like

They have a ton of stuff that is exceptional and often very difficult to find elsewhere. And the family that owns and works in the shop is very friendly and informative.

It’s been out of stock for a little while, but keep checking in for a “denoccciolate” olive oil. It’s pressed after the olive stones are removed. Very interesting flavor.

1 Like

What about a mandoline?

1 Like

I truffles are too soft for a mandoline or Benriner.

The traditional tool is like a miniature woodworking plane and can shave paper-thin.

1 Like

I actually knew someone with that slicer :slight_smile:

I slice mushrooms for pizza on my mandoline and they’re super thin. My vegetable peeler is old so probably not very sharp any more.

1 Like

I’ve used it. It’s okay in pinch.

1 Like

Which???

When I slice mushrooms on the mandoline, they’re almost paper thin. I wouldn’t want a truffle to be sliced any thinner.

1 Like

Mandoline. I actually don’t like the moist little piles a micro plane creates.

1 Like

Nor do I…re microplane. I use it for hard cheeses and zest.

1 Like

I can’t believe I’ve never heard of this place. Thank you!

2 Likes

Maybe my mandoline needs sharpening.

1 Like

Ya know, that subject occurred to me recently. They must lose sharpness at some point. Something for another thread?

1 Like

Benriners can be sharpened most mandolin’s I’ve see the blade can be removed.

1 Like

i will search that out! i usually get my evoo from the farmers market but will definitely try that!

i have both! thanks for the tip!

I like that I can use it for chocolate, also, that way I don’t feel like Ive purchased another one use only item! :relaxed: