Fried Chicken Rundown

I need to try Furai. My friends enjoyed BBQ Chicken.
I also like the Chicken Box in La Habra/Whittier. It’s a broasted chicken house, but the meat is always moist and the skin crisp.

1 Like

Haven’t been to the chicken box in ages but their borasted chicken is unique and delicious.

Try Furai it’s very good. Feu noodle and Akafuji Sushi in the same plaza are also very good and worth trying. Don’t go to the Korean bbq place though. Blah.

2 Likes

I have been to E-Feu and Akafuji…we enjoy them both. Thanks for the warning about the KBBQ! I was curious, but no more…thanks for taking one for the team.

3 Likes

Tupelo Junction on Balboa Peninsula has a good fried chicken dinner, as does Tavern House, also in Newport Beach. If you want a fried chicken sandwich, in addition to Crack Shack, Cluck Kitchen (across Main St. from John Wayne) is a good option.

2 Likes

Drove 60 miles south . To Redding. Yeah my friend totelled his vehicle 2 days after Thanksgiving. Luckily no DUI or death. I drove him down there the next day. I needed pillows from bbab . Buy me that hot chicken sandwich from chick filet . Car rental was closed plus chick filet. I drove back up the hill . No chick filet. Pissed . Friend bought a new vehicle, cash 2 days later
I’m pretty sure I’m going to miss out on the fried chicken sandwich craze . Happy Holidays. Cheers .:wine_glass:

2 Likes

Furai is darn good but I like Pelicana a tad bit more.
The spicy rice cake at Pelicana was surprisingly great as well. (edit for brain fart)

3 Likes

Never heard of Pelicana but the pics look good. It’s inside the Source? I was there last week and don’t remember seeing this joint. Will put it on our list. The jjampoong in the food court is really good.

1 Like

Yeah, it is in The Source right near the escalator for the parking lot on the first floor. I got the spicy (1 flaming heat symbol) and smokey hot (2 flaming heat symbols) and both brought the flavor and good amount of heat. And that with their rice cake and it my go to KFC spot.

BBQ always seems to be great when they first open and slowly become greasy, baby sized wings over time. My advice, go to BBQ when they first open and never go again

+1 Crack Shack has always been a solid option. Bummed the Century City branch shut down.

1 Like

We’ve been going to the Buena Park locale for 4-5 years. We bring our own kim chee from home, pick up 20 bb wings and head over to Paiks noodles for jjajangmein. It’s our own little feast. My wife initially said it was ghetto but I don’t care. The bb wings have been consistently good since they are fried to order.

2 Likes

The Diamond Bar location went out of business because of poor quality over time and Chino Hills location seems to be going in the same direction. Irvine location is inconsistent, sometimes great and sometimes an oily mess. Definitely gonna try Buena Park since I do love their spice mix on the olive oil wings.

1 Like

Yes the diamond bar location was not as good as Buena Park location the one time we tried it. Same thing with Honey Pig in Irvine. The OG Buena Park locations were significantly better than their offshoots.

1 Like

Tried Pelicana today along with the great jjampoong at the source food court. The chicken was crunchy, not oily, piping hot, juicy and delicious. Definitely some good fried chicken. Want to try some of their other flavors. This was the 18 piece extra crunchy wings.

8 Likes

That looks like KFC.

1 Like

It was much better than KFC. Not as greasy. But it did not have the secret blend of spices.

1 Like

You ate all 18 wings by yourself!?

I was satisfied with 4, though I could go for 9.

1 Like

Haha satisfied with 4 but could have went for 9. That could be the FTC motto.

Split the 18 piece and the jjampoong with my wife and 2 kids. It was the perfect amount but if we had maybe 25% more noodles nobody would have complained. The jjampoong place at the source does not have sari. Most noodle places do. Oh well.

2 Likes

Driving, I was starving and a KFC was right in front of me so I went and just ordered a la carte breasts. One original one extra crispy.

They were the best I’ve had at KFC in years. Even the original recipe was crispy and they weren’t greasy at all, probably right out of the pressure cooker fryer thingie.

Wish the extra crispy had the same seasonings as the original.

If the chicken was always that good… damn!

7 Likes

What’s everyone’s current favorite fried chicken that isn’t Korean/Asian? Anywhere LA/OC. Thanks!

1 Like

A couple to try howlin rays, gus’, honeys golden fried, and yard bird.

3 Likes