From your old CH friend Thi N. - hello, goodbye, hello

I recall your Chownews work and many well-considered posts.
You might check out this fellow. He returns to LA once or twice a year and goes to interesting places. Like you, he’s an academic.

1 Like

Hi Thi!

Welcome and nice to see you. Keep checking back and posting here if you want. :wink:

I was only a lurker, but I found many of your posts via searching on CH a while ago when I joined. thanks for all your helpful tidbits and info.

I agree with Kevin about Bestia: Not a fan, but some people adore it. Definitely not the best restaurant to hit LA in the past decade, LOL. :stuck_out_tongue:

Very sad about Flossie’s as well. :frowning:

Gjusta

1 Like

What’s that fucking sandwich ???

The gBialy gEgg gSandwich with fucking porchetta

Kevin you can have it with smoked fish instead of pork too……

If you’re looking for Isaan, try out Isaan Station in Ktown. The grilled chicken is comparable to good spots in Thailand and the tom saap is pretty extraordinary as well.

1 Like

Dope. Thanks for looking out.

1. I showed my wife this post and she said it was evil, because it made her miss Los Angeles so badly that it hurt her.

2. I got so motivated by this post that I went out and searched hard and actually found a decent Korean place here in SLC.

3. I have sent links of this to all my LA friends and they have promised to be my Advance Research Army and check it all out for me prior to my visit.

4. I had been intending for http://objectionable.net to only have the food reviews index as a past thing, and to mostly be about my new life as a philosopher, but the very act of posting this has made me super-excited about food writing again and goddammit I’m going to have to restart.

5. I miss you guys.

5 Likes

Come back, Thi! Anyone who could start a million post thread on best coffee in LA (and all of your other threads) does not deserve the culinary wasteland that is Utah.

3 Likes

Try the Big Mo’s, The Mumbo Gumbo and the Pastrami PoBoy at Orleans & York, had a Hamburger with Pastrami at The DT location the other day, very good. Get over the bread at Little Jewel, it may be authentic but it is 18 hours old when it get’s here and it has lost that fresh magic it has in NOLA. The soft shell crab PoBoy was good but for the price, give me something bigger or charge me more. Not sure if those where fresh soft shells. The jury is out on that, I had them at the end of September and if they where using 2 fresh soft shells at the end of season, even small ones, he would be charging more! Good to find this board and everyone.

Glad you’re here!

I don’t think I can come back - tenure-track jobs… But it’s apparently forcing me to write about food, not in a restaurant review way, but in a more general way. But what’s happening is, some of the weirder thoughts about food, that I couldn’t write back when I was in a review-specific-restaurants mode, are starting to come to the surface, and starting to meld with some of my work in philosophy. I might actually be writing something about tasting notes, and what’s wrong with wine point scores. I’m starting to put little drafts of it online - I just wrote something about bibimbap and food assembly - but weirdly, being stuck out in Utah may actually make me write something more book-like about food.

1 Like

Kazuto Matsusaka & Vicky Fan landed at Superba Food & Bread earlier this year. I haven’t gone there yet, but I hope to go soon. Superba F&B has had a lot of turnover recently. There’s a second branch opening in El Segundo (The Point; Rosecrans & Sepulveda). I haven’t supported their careers as much as I wanted.