FTC Confessions

I actually dropped white rice from my regular diet due to diabeetus concerns. now, white rice in moderation only :frowning:

Sorry about that. I try to live by the everything in moderation rule.

You get more nutrients in brown rice.

2 Likes

FTC confession: For me, everything in moderation (including moderation).

2 Likes

Including moderation.

Please explain to her that there are people like myself who never knew.

Hahaha she would never make a peep. Honestly who cares as long as it tastes good to you or unless you are getting called out on the interwebs. I’m sure we all eat things that are gross/wrong to other people but as long as it works for you.

4 Likes

I’ll never do it again. Promise.

Being originally from the South, if I have black-eye peas they MUST be served over rice. We all have our foibles.

1 Like

I personally don’t like rice . Oh well . I do use it as a starch occassionally. Love it with Mae Ploy . I’m doing it all wrong . So what .

1 Like

I would have sworn I’d posted this but don’t see it.

My decades long go-to comfort food with various tweaks.

Chicken Rice A Roni, chopped onions, Calabrian chili paste (I’ve gotten really hooked on that stuff), capers, Kirkland canned turkey and grated cheddar. And now Bob likes it also so I don’t have to wait.

I dreamed last night that I brushed my teeth with my microplane grater! My dentist is going to love this one :slight_smile:

Ouch!

1 Like

I’m really hating skewers these days. There are too many places offering lame, shtick skewers with no taste. I’m in a moratorium on skewers.

Except Persian kabobs. At the traditional places, those are still satisfying.

1 Like

Even yakitori? Or any binchotan grilled meats?

My food expenses are too high, there are no affordable dining out options… When did food markups go through the roof? Is this due to rent, labor, all of the above? Ingredient costs really haven’t moved too much in the past decade (or two)…

I need to start cooking at home more often

It’s so much better cooking your own food . You can get the same or better ingredients. They are available to all . Just need to search them out.

2 Likes

With all kindness, may I ask are there “no affordable dining out options” that you’re willing to accept? We’re so happy when we’re in big cities and can great all kinds of food at affordable prices. Here are some pix, all ‘breakfast’ and lunch, which is of course generally more affordable.

And cooking at home, you bet. But we take leftovers all the freaking time :slight_smile: Cath

1 Like

delete

For restaurants.

Interesting to see that graph groceries versus restaurant costs - the Los Angeles Times just published a fabulous article on Super King market and it mentions Wes Avila shopping there for his restaurants.

For those that don’t have LA Times access, here’s the mention -

“The staff is super-friendly, and they recommend new things to me all the time,” he said. Avila shops at the Glassell Park location weekly, for both himself and his Arts District restaurant, loading up on cooking oils, spices and specialty produce such as gooseberries and oyster mushrooms. “They have things that no one else has, and you cannot beat their prices — you can’t even compete.”

4 Likes