FTC Los Angeles Board almost 9 Months -- My Thoughts. Yours?

Unless a corporation buys you out at a sum you can’t refuse.

Then they can do whatever they want.

I am just curious what moderation style you refer to on HO. I just started posting on HO reguarly (only Boston board anywhere with enough people participating) and haven’t had anything deleted etc (but I might be not posting long enough yet)

I don’t know whether or how HO’s style differs from this board’s.

Is it just me or does it seem really improper to be posting here asking people to leave and, in effect, shut down this site. Two guys decided to do something good, each attracting a different regional population as a core. One is more active than the other. So be it. The thanks Robert gets for doing this is mutiny??? Doesn’t seem right, but then I tend to be a bit old fashioned.

2 Likes

It’s not altruism. Robert is gearing up to make a profit from this board and that’s why he isn’t willing to merge boards which would be better for the community IMO.

I do know that. I guess I don’t see how doing something with a profit motive (even if a small one) could negate the point I was making. It’s not 'good’if he’d like to not fund it himself and maybe have it make a profit?

1 Like

My loyalties lie with the community that was the LA CH board.

Yes 2 people stepped up during the relocation.

But now it is clear why the merger never occurred with HO which would have created a stronger community. Those same 2 people have something to gain by keeping the boards separate.

Which is not in the best interest of the community.

If one of those 2 people you refer to is me, what is it you think I gain?

I’m not getting paid, nor receiving any other type of remuneration, from FTC or its visibility on the web.

Only thing I gain is probably the distress and angst of not being able to please everyone here on FTC as a moderator.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, but I’ve been aware of Robert’s position since almost the very beginning and I’m not really all that active here. He’s never hidden it. I personally found it odd that some people here held his motive against him.

It might be nice if everyone setting up a site like this could self-fund, or be assured of breaking even somehow, but these sites do have operating costs that need to be met. I don’t see them as charitable organizations or even as necessarily public service entities by definition… which seems to be the opinion I’ve seen expressed here by some people.

Not trying to start anything combative. I just find the idea strange.

1 Like

I normally don’t read stuff outside of the LA forum, but I think another thread led me here.

I will be the first to say that I don’t always agree w/ ipse (both in terms of content and how the content is delivered).

However, I’ve been here since the first days of FTC (I was one who contacted Robert about adding an LA forum). ipse only stepped in as moderator of the LA board when nobody else wanted to do it and when some participants suggested that he would be a good moderator… And, IIRC, he has previously mentioned that Robert had been asked about merging the boards and that the idea was declined.

I have never seen ipse do anything that would suggest he plans or even wants to make any $ off of this.

As for Robert, I can’t comment on his motives… But I don’t think it’s a horrible thing to want to run the board at a slight profit. ::shrug::

2 Likes

People are free to post wherever. I don’t care. I started this board because CBS put Chowhound through a wood chipper. I think Sampson started HO because when I told him about Discourse he didn’t understand that I’d already created a board, maybe because of CBS’s censorship.

I’d like the board to pay for itself instead of losing $35 a month (last time I checked). In the unlikely event there are ever significant profits, I’ll set up profit-sharing so the people who provide the content are paid for their work.

Personally I will not spend significant time posting on any site that asserts a copyright over my work.

©2016 Robert Lauriston. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part is strictly prohibited without explicit written permission.

2 Likes

Amen, brother! Pretty simple.

1 Like

Yes… I agree. It didn’t cross my mind that they would not want to make a little something for their time and effort. What? We have all the fun and they do the work… For free?

You’re a smart one. I hadn’t thought about that. But I hope you’re wrong. But if so, so be it…

I have no interest in joining Hungry Onion. Cute name though.

“I don’t know whether or how HO’s style differs from this board’s.”

I am not sure that it does. Each appears to me to be run the way I think I (or any sensible human being) would run it: Set it up, keep it current, and stay the hell out of the way. That doesn’t mean stay AWAY, obviously, just let yourself be the friendly landlord. On CH the mods got to be like those pagan gods, invisible and unheard until someone did a no-no and then kaBOOM! with the lightning bolt.

I would like some more cooking action here; so far I’m seeing a lot of trophy shots of meals either cooked or ordered and then presumably consumed. Nice – now where’s the damn recipe? Ye few who knew me on CH might recall I posted a few of those … so I suppose I should stop bitching and get back into that.

And for the record I hang out on HO as well. Why not? Since they’re using the same server or whatever the interface is the same, and I get notifications for both. Besides that some of my oldest CH buddies are on just one or the other. They are mostly on Facebook as well, but that’s getting a lot less fun these days too.

2 Likes

Tried to get it out of them long ago . Very few posters in LA ,SD, and SF are interested .

Yes, dear :slight_smile: I’ve started posting about cooking. I’ll have to share “your” famous pork shoulder recipe.

I’ve read that thread. I’m interested and will post soon. The problem (or not a problem) is that FTC has such a busy & interesting restaurant presence, that I get caught up. But it probably sucks for people who don’t live in the major Cali cities.