FTC's own (ex?) Kevin's LA Weekly piece on Hagop's Lebanese kebabs

Self-imposed exile. What the cause of THAT was, I don’t know.

Assuming kevin won’t be responding, I’m giving my opinion on the issue. Some posters took offense in varying degrees to kevin’s casual use of certain words and references - think of guys being guys at a bar. It can get crude and offend the sensibilities of certain posters.

If you get to know kevin’s online personality, he means no direct offense to anyone. Moreover, kevin’s writing style on his OPs is so stylised and fluid that I’m sure many asked themselves, “Is this the same kevin?”, or, “WOW - in this form, kevin is pretty impressive!” However, “potty-mouth” kevin became a polarizing issue between many posters.

I’ve always gotten the impression that, regardless of his verbiage, kevin is a gentle soul who always avoids confrontation. In line with that, instead of creating a widening schism, he seems to have decided to bow out of actively posting.

Some posters actively meet up with kevin and it sounds like he is doing well. So, in the end, aside from no longer posting here, kevin is still kevin. In my eyes, and with his LA Weekly write-up as proof, kevin is a winner, and not accepting kevin for who he is - “warts and all” - makes the rest of us poorer.

10 Likes

@kevin Come back.

2 Likes

secretasianman:
probably the reason you are experiencing a disconnect is that you never really read ALL of his posts.
anybody who followed his writing in the past already knew of his tremendous abilities in several styles. . . .

4 Likes

paranoidgarliclover:
imho, the obvious “cause of THAT” was the way he was being mercilessly cyber-bullied.

1 Like

Well done Kevin!

2 Likes

emglow:
you know why.
(despite your best efforts)

Well said, @bulavinaka. I do also wonder if @kevin’s ability to wrote w/o the f-bomb might’ve unintentionally escalated the situation b/c some posters might’ve wondered why he didn’t write “better” more often (or all the time).

I consider myself fairly sensitive to perceived malice, and I agree that I never felt any ill will (or even any true desire to offend) from kevin’s posts.

1 Like

I know there are many that will strongly disagree, but to me, the alternative is to eat boiled potato sandwiches while in clean tidy whities.

2 Likes

Well said.

@westsidegal I don’t have a dog in this fight. I found Kevin’s “fuck” posts curious at best. They certainly didn’t bother me. But, I’m also curious about your “cyber-bully” comment. In what way was he cyber-bullied? I do not believe for a second he didn’t expect a reaction. If he didn’t expect a reaction then that is more than curious.

5 Likes

Good review of an under-the-radar spot. Kayvan’s food descriptions were not contrived, and made me want to taste the dishes.

It’s curious that we have revived the “where is kevin?” thread just as his food review is being published in LA Weekly. I’d say kevin is pretty good at getting attention… and using it.

1 Like

the bottom line (to me, anyway) is that some words (and apparent tones of voice) are inflammatory and not expecting some sort of response to what is clearly a willful choice to use potentially inflammatory speech in a persistent manner is not reasonable to me.

and since the subject has been broached, i acknowledge having my share of quirks, including my penchant to type solely in lower case and a propensity to snark that sometimes requires clarification. i don’t consider it reasonable to expect anyone browsing the board (even if it’s been for years) to recognize when any other poster’s writing style is a true representation of their personality vs. being a contrived mannerism or form of satire/whatever. (has anyone who’s met tonyc not been completely surprised, for example?) being expected to know smacks of elitism to me (having to be part of the “in” crowd to get the joke). having said that, i do pay satirical homage to john bloom by channeling joe bob briggs in my summary of a restaurant review, but only during the summary, i don’t insist that everyone embrace my doing so or to get the reference, so i don’t see anything potentially objectionable about it from a world view perspective.

1 Like

@secretasianman I like that. Good points.

Congratulations buddy!

1 Like

Fuckin’ A

2 Likes

why risk getting banned on internet boards when you can get paid
?

3 Likes

And not a single fucks given.

2 Likes

… and in his newest venture (on his way to single-handedly taking over the food journalism biz):

2 Likes