FTC's own @JLee doing a Hainan chix rice pop-up tonight, Chinatown

@JLee pops up at Chinatown during Chinatown After Dark

The FB page for that “event” is here. It is every first Thursday of the month. His personal IG is here. Chinatown LA’s IG is here.

Their announcement is here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BD1B4c2OuUj/?taken-by=lachinatown
(I particularly love the terminology they used to describe the event in Chinese… )

Today is Wednesday the 6th. Tomorrow is Thursday the 7th. Sorry I didn’t disclose all the info earlier. :pensive:

4 Likes

Yikes! Yes, you (or @JLee) had posted this info before! Thanks for the reminder. Wonder if there’s a Metro stop nearby…

It’s basically 3 blocks from the Chinatown Gold Line stop

2 Likes

rock solid chicken and rice. The line was ridiculous.

Also, soft trial at howling rays

11 Likes

Line was insane for hainan chicken and small bowls :frowning:

But I appreciate the effort!

1 Like

@JLee pls more chix next time. Sold out when I got there 8:30ish :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

It was sold out around 7:45 I think. After we waited in line for almost 30 min.

1 Like

Yep. I got in between you both, closer to 8p. :frowning: I was hoping that the rain might thin out the crowd because there is no way for me to get there earlier. So if anyone is thinking of going next month, have a solid plan B. Probably somewhere outside the plaza (LIttle Jewel closes at 9p) because everyone else there seemed to be on their C game as if they didn’t expect the crowds. Pok Pok ran out of RICE. REALLY?!?

But that is always the risk when you go to these “events.”

–Dommy!

Ended up with an Ad Hoc plan B; mini Al Pastor crawl in Ktown

3 Likes

Ouch :scream:

Sorry everyone about the early sellout but I hope you can understand that this event was not marginally busier than last month’s but extremely busier. Last month I didn’t even manage to sell 50 orders in the entire night and ended up with leftover chicken wastage. Today there were over 100 people in line by the time I was set up and ready.

Rain+Obama traffic jam I figured it couldn’t be too much busier than the last event therefore I never could have conceived the notion of such a line. Enough of my excuses though I do promise the next event will be much better prepared (also there will be fried chicken as Howlin’ Rays will be open by then).

2 Likes

the rain in the afternoon was in fact a factor in my deciding not to attend, since i’m already somewhat under the weather health wise. however i admit to being intrigued by the citing of obama’s presence in the southland. isn’t he typically pretty much west of the 405 when he’s here? if so, this suggests an expectation of a significant percentage of patrons coming primarily from the west side. i wouldn’t have made that kind of assumption myself.

Prehaps you can consider pre-selling chickens online so you can manage demand?

Or at least maybe for FTC’ers…haha

1 Like

yes, and make sure you only make those pre sales available at a precise time, and make
the sales non refundable and non transferable.

2 Likes

Sources tell me Obama was visiting LA just to get a plate of Hainan Chicken Rice from @JLee.

POTUS had to wait in line too.

3 Likes

You must not work downtown because even if Obama isn’t anywhere near the central area the traffic spillover effect + rain means traffic becomes a clusterfuck which lead me to assume people would be very delayed or not bother to come to this event at all.

There’s a significant amount of commuters that work westside but live eastside.

3 Likes

Good idea because next month will be Cinco de Mayo. I’m out. Good luck!

–Dommy!

+1.

I second this idea if you can make it work @JLee. :slight_smile: I think there are a bunch of online sites that can do something like this (help you organize this), so that you can pre-sale tickets / orders of Chicken ahead of time. Then maybe make some extra, but the pre-sale ticket holders are guaranteed food, and anyone else will be whatever extra you bring.

After 2 hours on the bus to get from the Westside to Chinatown, I unfortunately did not get to have any chicken either (both @JLee’s and Howlin’ Ray’s) but I’m happy for Johnny’s success, and I got some amazing pozole from Calo Provisions as consolation.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BD7fu02A-gn/

Can’t wait for Howlin’ Ray’s to officially open. Here are the wings they were giving out for free samples:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BD7hjW7A-i1/

9 Likes

+1, even though we are all giving @JLee a hard time :laughing:

That pozole looks great, regret passing on it.

2 Likes