Full of Beans... Rancho Gordo Heirloom Beans

Yellow? I know where you got them. :wink:

1 Like

Oh man, that pot liquor looks so glossy and thick. Good job!

1 Like

I’m officially addicted to my clay pot and in fear of the upcoming heat wave… I used up the rest of my Lila beans to make Frijol con Puerco. It would be the first time that I ever finish the beans… WAY before the pork… but I did my 20/20/20 method and in that last 20 killed the heat. They were done but not over done.

Then I finished up the pork an hour later… fork tender by not flossy… I transferred the pork chunks into the bean pot strained the pork broth and then gently added to the beans as I turned up the heat to a strong simmer so after 30 minutes everyone was friends!

A typical accompaniment to Frijol con Puerco is garlic rice. For the life of me, I’m still not finding Uncle Bens (My preferred rice for personal reasons), but add enough pressed garlic into your Zojirushi and even brown rice comes out nice and garlicky. All in all, A wonderful way to say goodbye to the dreary weather…

5 Likes

Gorgeous beans .

1 Like

Me too… your clay pot, that is. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, I guess we’ll have to table the warm, comforting, pots of goodness for the season. But I’m looking forward to getting Lila Beans and making your Frijol con Puerco recipe! And speaking of Garlic Rice. Al was just in the S. Bay and picked-up Peruvian Chicken from Chicken Shack - an extra Garlic Rice is a must. :slightly_smiling_face: I’m not sure if it’s Uncle Bens but it’s similar.

Holy Cau! How come I haven’t heard of this place!! I love Peruvian Food and sadly found most South Bay places kinda Meh. My favorite Lomo down there is at Rabano on Artesia and PCH. LOL!!

1 Like

Not RG but I came across photos of Blackeyed Peas & Corn Cakes I made on New Year’s Day for good luck.

The simplest recipes you could ask for on a happy but fatigued NYD… Because they’re not recipes! :relaxed: It’s a bag of Bayou Magic Blackeyed Peas & Spice Packet w/an Onion & Smokey Pork product added. The Corn Cakes are El Torito Corncake Mix. All takes about an hour. Voilà! Back to the couch for more Twilight Zone Marathon.

1 Like

Oh yes, Chicken Shack is probably not destination worthy. It’s certainly not the wood smoked chicken goodness of Pollo al La Brasa (although I do think CS’s aji amarillo sauce is superior). But if you like Chicken & Rice (Me!) it’s a very tasty meal. They have all the Peruvian specialties, but we go for the Chicken, Rice & Salad. I’ll post it soon.

1 Like

PITA CHIPS HAVE BEEN PRECURED!

Needed to make a run to OC and that meant a swing into Wholesome Choice as this past week’s market visit… I had been waiting to go to the Farmers Market for some Pita Chips from MOMS. But the ones they had at Wholesome Choice were so wonderfully thin. The brand is Gardenia Pita from this Market/Deli/Pizzeria in Glendale… they have several flavors and am now going to keep an eye out for these from now on…

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/gardenia-market-deli-and-pizzeria-glendale?select=UEwT5Z3kvO_Z3FhI_n-DQQ

For the White Bean Dip, I chose my favorite flavor of any Pita Chip, Lemon and Herb. As I added several cloves of Roasted garlic as I made the White Bean sauce. I added olive oil, a squeeze of lemon, parsley and sea salt as I whizzed up the beans in the food processor. I added a touch of water to thing things out… but I may not have needed to. The end result was a little more runny than I would have liked… but still super tasty… especially with the new pita chips!

And now… I have officially used up all my RG Beans!! It’s still super slim pickins’ in the website and not even Semolina has the original box I ordered (They have another one more Pasta Centered)… I’ve been craving toffee and peanut butter… so I will go check out the situation at MM this week…

2 Likes

I knew you’d eventually get to that clay pot love!

1 Like

Hold tight on the RG beans. They are not as sold out as the website indicates. Right now they’re packing 8,000 quarterly Bean Club boxes which are expected to ship at the beginning of May. Once the Bean Club orders have been shipped, they’ll restock and be back in business for regular orders. The out of stock status on the website is giving them some breathing room to get the Bean Club orders out and to regroup and get ready to reopen once those have been shipped.

Check the website in 2-3 weeks and you’ll probably find most of their beans are back in stock. Steve Sando has said that there are plenty of beans through at least September, after that it’ll depend upon the harvest this year.

1 Like

Monsieur Marcels is a big retail buyer of RG beans and has one of the best selections of their products in all the city, if not THE BEST (They also carry the salt, the pozole, the salsas)… happy to be able to support both businesses!

–Dommy!

1 Like

Ha! I just showed it to my parents on our weekly facetime call… My Dad wants one now… LOL!!! I’ll need to see what the situation is at Alta Baja Market… the last time I went she had them…

1 Like

Mine too. I haven’t had Gardenia Pita, but my current favorite are from Brother’s at the BH Farmers Market with Mom’s from Wellington FM coming in 2nd. Loving Mom’s other products! I really need to do reports faster.

1 Like

We had some wings that had been cooked over fire sitting in the freezer. With all the time on our hands we shredded off the meat, made broth from the bones and skin, blended the skin back in to make beans with.

It’s not a looker but the broth was incredible- between the chicken and the beans it had amazing flavor and texture- almost like tsukamen broth but not as heavy.

7 Likes

Wow!

You’re kidding, right? It looks sooo good. Is that straight chicken broth in the jar or bean broth too?

It’s the broth and bean liquor! I know I’ve posted about this elsewhere but I love and think about pot liquor texture a lot, especially with beans. Sometimes I worry that stock with too much gelatin can interfere with bean starches retrograding into the gravy but this time it really worked out.

Seriously, I froze some to show my parents next time we visit.

1 Like

Just got an email from Rancho Gordo. Delivery times are now 3 weeks, down from 7 weeks. They added some night and weekend shifts. Working on updating the website since a lot of items look like they are sold out.

1 Like

Hah! Good one. When you say gelatin do you mean naturally from the bones or are you adding it?