Full of Beans... Rancho Gordo Heirloom Beans

Edited my first post. Note to self: don’t post before caffeine.

1 Like

For navy bean soup? Use the Alubia Blancas, they are one of the best all-purpose beans out there and well suited for bean soup.

2 Likes

Yes! Lol. I linked the Alubia Blancas then accidentally deleted it when editing the post! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Where’s that coffee?

thanks

If you like a smooth Navy Bean soup, you can use Mayocoba. It’s Peruvian Beans.

–Dommy!

1 Like

Question for the bean community. Do you know anything about Borlotto di Veneto? Are they a Cranberry Bean? They look almost identical and searches seem to confirm.

Got them in the latest Bean Club box. LOVE! :hearts: They’re not so pretty after cooking and started splitting while soaking but so creamy, nutty, mildly sweet and make a terrific broth. Don’t remember loving Cranberry like that.

Left is Borlotto and right is Cranberry.

Do you still have the newsletter from that box? Steve wrote about the borlotto beans. IIRC, it is a relative of the cranberry bean, but you could probably look on the RG website and see if there’s any info about them there.

I’ve already cooked and eaten mine and they were delicious. I had some splitting too.

1 Like

Yes, on the website Borlott(i) comes up as the Cranberry. Thanks for reminding me the newsletter is not just for recipes, lol. I’ll pull it out and read!

1 Like

those of you on the rancho gordo newsletter list may have caught this in the fall but i wrote a small booklet of indian bean recipes for them, six in all.

you can download it here (for free) if interested.

And all my recipes using rancho gordo beans are listed here. a couple from the booklet have not been posted on the blog.

5 Likes

Thanks for reminding me!

My rendition of @MyAnnoyingOpinions’ Chana Masala, courtesy of Rancho Gordo’s Newsletter! :heart:

Even better the next day…

Served w/Chicken Thighs & TJs Paratha

The chicken thighs are baked with a few spices from the Chana Masala, plus an Indian spice mix I make myself.

Edit: the rice is brown basmati.

All sooo good!

7 Likes

That’s looks great. I just ate some leftover daal for breakfast and was thinking about making some next week for dinner but maybe I’ll try this recipe instead. Need to restock on some spices anyway.

1 Like

I’m so behind in my bean reporting but since we’re talking about favorite recipes by FTC members, I also made @Dommy’s recipe (further up thread) for the Yucatecan favorite, Frijoles con Puerco.

I like to buy the kind of puerco that hopefully “only had one bad day… the last one.” I got country-style ribs from Harvest Gathering Farm at the CC Farmers Market. Standing’s will also do country-style if asked (thanks Dommy). Topped w/white onions, cilantro, lime & homemade salsa verde cruda that didn’t release enough liquid and was more of a relish but still tasty.

Rancho Gordo’s Ayocote Negro Beans

Idk if you can tell but it’s a big bean.

There was wine. An inexpensive, but tasty, peppery Cab. I think from Whole Foods…

2019 “In Sheep’s Clothing” Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Bean Eating!

6 Likes

YUM…black beans and pork, such a match made in heaven

3 Likes

YAY!! I’m so glad you liked it!! I actually just bought some Pork tonight to make your mole chile hack this week. :smiley: Now to pick which bean to go with! :wink:

1 Like

Nice! Can’t wait to see the chili and the beans you choose! I’ve been hoarding my two bags of RG Moros like they’re fine wine. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I did something I hardly ever do… One day Chili! I had planned just to make the RG beans and hominy today… but they cooked quicker than I expected so I went ahead and started on the chili…

The beans I picked for the chili was the Hidatsa Bean. It’s a smaller red bean, the first time I’ve used it. It cooked up great! One of the better ones I’ve tried from Rancho Gordo… hardly any splitting and the liquor was amazing. Smokey.

Once the beans and the Hominy was done, I decided to make the Chili. I cut up a 2lb pork butt roast into thick strips. I browned them to get that awesome porky crust in the dutch oven and removed them. Into the fond I dumped a ton of chopped sweet onions. I sweated them down, coating them with the fond and then added the Mole paste. I had this one from a bakery by my house. It’s tasty… but I like Hernan mole better. So I was eager to use this up in a different form…

The onions dissolved into the mole. I added a big spoonful of Penzey’s Chili 9000, a bit of ground cumin, chipotle powder and Mexican oregano. Once the aroma got crazy… I added a glug of red wine and just thinned out the paste quite a bit. Then came the Bianco Tomatoes and the empty can full of beef broth and lots of garlic. Added the Pork back in and simmered uncovered for an hour.

Once the hour passed, I added the beans and the hominy. I added back in ALL the bean liquor and let it go for a bare simmer for another hour. As I stirred it through out the cooking, it was amazing how well everything was already melding. The mole paste also help lend to this amazing texture and flavor that usually takes overnight to develop. So I went ahead and decided too serve it up! I added just a bit of aged cheddar, chopped sweet onion and pickled Jalapenos Carrots. topped with some of the Avocado I got from my Local order. Happy me!

6 Likes

Wow, that looks fantastic

1 Like

That sounds like layers of delicious @Dommy!

That looks fantastic and yesterday was a good day for chili!

Those Hidatsa beans are a wonder.

1 Like

Moros are back! I no longer have to hoard mine! :hearts: