Gas cooktops - having a think

I’m remodeling a house on a budget, doing most of the work ourselves. We’d like to purchase a 30" stainless gas cooktop and I’m battling decision paralysis.

Any thoughts on
Frigidaire that looks like Spiderman?

Or Kitchenaid?

I’ve lived my whole life with four burners and am looking at 5 because I think it looks cooler, not for any practical need. oof.

I think it would be weird for the burners to be so varied. The Frigidaire has 5,000, 7,500, 9,500, 12,000, and 18,000 BTU burners. The KitchenAid has 6,000, 7,000, two 10,000, and 17,000.

1 Like

One thing about these ranges is that the grates are a lot heavier, and won’t fit in many sinks. Cleaning is more of a hassle because a lot of the splatter that you’d normally just wipe off a smooth surface is now on the grates (which are usually kind of rough) and the surface underneath.

My mom is actually thinking of going back to electric. She finds american gas stoves too weak in general, even the 18K burner was just ok to her.

We’ve had an induction range for some few years now and I wouldn’t go ‘down’ to gas again for anything. And ease of cleaning is crazy good.

Designs where each burner has a separate grate are easier to clean.

Oh for sure. My old gas range cleans up nicely. It’s just that current design trend is all massive grates, so this is an issue to keep in mind.

Having lived with an electric glass cooktop for a few years, and then going back to gas, I have to say I agree with you mom. I spent 50+ years with gas, and a few years with electric made me a convert. I also like like being able to clean the cooktop with a sponge rather than digging around burners for spilled food. And getting rid of gas is supposed to be good for the environment. I am reminded of this every time I drive by a refinery burning off excess gas.

Whether and how much better electricity is for the environment depends on how it’s generated and how much is lost in transmission and distribution.

1 Like

I see this old thread and wonder if anyone is concerned about the danger of methane from gas stoves. I’ve long offered our daughter an induction cooktop range and she’s now taking me up on it because of the methane issue.

I wouldn’t replace anything without checking to see if there was actually a leak. Especially since we’d have to replace some of our pots and pans. And we paid $4000 for a nice Wolf.

1 Like

“It didn’t matter if a gas stove was three or 30 years old. It didn’t matter what the stove cost at time of purchase. It didn’t matter if the gas stove had a pilot light or didn’t (newer stoves use piezo-electric ignitors instead). Every stove leaked methane when turned off, at a rate that averaged nearly 1% of all gas they emitted (cooking time included). Four of the stoves leaked significantly less gas than the others, but they all leaked.”

https://www.fastcompany.com/90716674/your-gas-stove-is-leaking-methane-even-when-its-turned-off

Every stove leaked methane when turned off, at a rate that averaged nearly 1% of all gas they emitted (cooking time included).

So leakage is increasing emissions by only around 1% over usage.

And then there’s the usage. I’ll stick with my long loved inducition/convection.

Of course there are emissions from cooking with gas, but I have a carbon monoxide detector and it has never gone off, so I don’t believe it’s enough to present a health problem in this 114-year-old house. If I lived in an airtight modern building maybe the detector would have gone off.

I’m certain there are sometimes significant particulate emissions, since the air purifier sometimes goes on high. But that happens with electric appliances as well. And the air purifier cleans it up.

With the press this has gotten I wouldn’t be surprised if gas stoves are eventually phased out.

That’ll happen around the same time we stop pumping oil and mining coal.

Natural gas is going to be eliminated in Santa cruz , and i believe Berkeley also on all new construction. I don’t understand it . WTF . Lets dam up some more rivers .

Well then, I have something to look forward to.

Are gas stoves being phased out in California?

Like many climate policies, the push to phase out natural gas in buildings began in California . In 2019, Berkeley became the first city to ban gas hookups in most new homes and buildings, citing climate change.Dec 16, 2021

[

How Politics Are Determining What Stove You Use - The New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com › gas-stoves-climate-change
](Fight Over Gas Stoves and Furnaces in the Effort to Slow Climate Change - The New York Times)

1 Like

Nothing statewide so far.