Gas slide-in range

You can get standalone “lips” that work with any range.

https://www.google.com/search?q=slide-in+range+gap+cover

2 Likes

Yep! We have them and they are fabulous. People always ask me where I got them… I’m like… Home Depot…

An update: a few wks ago, we discovered that many things in our freezer (we have a side-by-side), while still very cold, weren’t frozen through. We first thought that the door wasn’t closing properly, but that wasn’t the case. So we needed up getting a new fridge… meaning no $ to replace a decently functional range right now. Fridge installation has been a bit nightmare-ish, but that’s a diff story altogether.

Thanks for the discussion, folks.

1 Like

If you get a fridge model with ice maker. Get the extended warranty. Those things are nice to have, but they break. So glad we had ours when our did.

Okay, so through a series of events that are not super important to get into (let’s just I’m never purchasing anything from Lowe’s in Pico Rivera ever again), we were (or are supposed to be) reimbursed for the entire amount spent on the fridge.

We got this fridge (https://www.lg.com/us/refrigerators/lg-LFCC22426S-french-3-door-refrigerator#), and we LOVE it. We were at first worried that counter depth wouldn’t be big enough, but it’s actually more spacious than the 2 of us need. We also love that that the shelves are half width and adjustable. It’s not like we ever really need to be able to fit a half sheet baking sheet in the fridge, but we can do so now! :slight_smile: And, b/c of the fridge is relatively shallow, no more stuff hiding out of sight in the back of the shelves!

We were worried that a bottom freezer drawer would be kind of a pain to organize, but it’s been fine (boxes are stacked “side ways,” rather than on top of each other, which makes it easier to find and reach for things.

So since the fridge was essentially free, we decided to look at ranges again. Costco was having a sale on this one (which I linked to above):

It’s supposed to arrive tomorrow, but GE hasn’t called us to confirm delivery (but I called Costco Concierge, and they said it’s supposed to be delivered in the first half of the day tomorrow). We’ll see.

I’m actually kind of sad to see the old range go. It wasn’t impressive by any means (and cleaning the fiddle-y grates has been one of the banes of my household-chores existence), but partner has cooked so many lovely meals w/ it, and it’s the first one I’ve used myself to any significant extent (I didn’t come from a home where there was much cooking or baking).

We’ll let you know how we like after a few wks of use…

2 Likes

So the range was damaged during delivery (4-in long gash on the inner oven wall), so we’re getting a replacement (yay, Costco!) this wk.

We like it very much so far. The burners have a lot of adjustability, so we can boil water more quickly and simmer things more delicately (not that I need to simmer anything particularly delicately, though). Smaller cookware didn’t sit evenly on our last range when empty, which I assumed was "normal.’ No such issues w/ this range. :slight_smile:

Flames come on quickly, and oven pre-heating also occurs much more quickly vs. the old range. From what I’m reading on-line, that could’ve been an issue w/ the oven igniter, but it didn’t seem worth the $ to fix that in a 10+ yr old range that we didn’t exactly love.

I’m a little worried about the longevity of the very pretty, very fancy, glass touch-sensitive panel. We’ll see.

Question: stovetop grates are made out of cast iron and do NOT have an enamel coating. I think the same may be true of the burner caps, too Am I crazy for wanting to season them? They are already getting some cooked on crud on them. I can easily clean off the debris, but there’s still the “flat” grease stain. I would normally use Easy Off (the blue one) to get rid on an enamled grate or burner cap, but I don’t think I should do that when there’s no enamel…

Read the range’s user guide. It should say how to clean the grates and what products to avoid.

I don’t think you can season cast iron that takes direct flame. The seasoning will burn off.

1 Like

User’s guide says (in order of increasing "action) to use mild dish detergent and warm water (did nothing), soak for 15-20 mins in the same (also nothing). If those don’t work, it says to try 1/4 cup ammonia and then “Cermabryte.” Doesn’t say anything about which products to avoid.

I don’t think I have ammonia at home, so I think I might try a baking soda paste (which I’ve read about on-line and which seems like it should be pretty safe for the material).