Gaudy, Theatrical, Fun-ish? - Molecular Gastronomy at The Bazaar [Thoughts + Pics]

Hi @attran99,

Thanks, yah the server was unfortunate. :frowning: I agree, I really like the dishes you listed. The pan con tomate had great flavor. :slight_smile:

Hi @DTLAeater,

Thanks for the link. Our waiter didn’t even give us that page (it wasn’t in our menu). Ugh.

I don’t even see it on the website, but we called ahead to ask for it. Maybe it’s a low key thing.

1 Like

We had that every day we were in Barcelona and it’s surprising how different it can taste. Actually it’s probably not so surprising. All in the ingredients.

Tickets Bar in Barcelona ----->

@DTLAeater

1 Like

Agree with Bob. Service issues aside, I’ve always had good to great meals at Bazaar. The food, while sometimes can be gimmicky, actually tastes good. And the fun factor is just icing on the cake.

And @Chowseeker1999, that grassfed steak looks excellent. Recall how much that was?

1 Like

Hi @CiaoBob,

Thanks. Yah definitely. :slight_smile: Certainly our previous visits were fine (no service issues), and I recognize that this one meal was unfortunately marred by one, individual server, but it still affected our final impressions of that evening (he was terrible).

But looking beyond that, yah, everyone had an enjoyable time and yes, the highlights were great (Jamon Iberico de Bellota, the Secreto, Olives, and a few other dishes). If one can get past the excessive showy atmosphere / crowds (and don’t run into that smarmy server), The Bazaar can make for a great dinner if you order right. :slight_smile: There are more hits than misses on the menu.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link @moonboy403. Ah, darn @DTLAeater for parties of 1 or 2. Still, it’s good to know for future smaller dinners. Thanks.

Thanks. It says it’s limited to 2 persons now. That wasn’t the case for our party but anyway still a good deal.

1 Like

Thanks for the report @Chowseeker1999, that sucks about your experience. It’s surprising because I’ve had some of the best service in la at somni.

2 Likes

Somni is incredible, one of my favorite meals this year. From the ambience, food to the service. Fantastic.

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Thanks. Yah, we definitely chalk it up to one aberrant server; just unfortunate. Certainly our previous visits were fine (nothing like this), and our visit to Saam (before it changed to Somni) inside The Bazaar was also outstanding for service.

Never trust anyone who says trust me.

6 Likes

I rather spend that money at Hayato. A few “foodie” friends keep pushing this place but honestly none of it looks appealing to me.

3 Likes

I think the actual Spanish, Spanish tapas look good. But yeah, I’m with you on Hayato.

1 Like

Not sure if it’s a fair comparison though. Hayato cost 140% more!

1 Like

Ahhh… then there’s that.

The apple to apple-ish comparison is Somni

1 Like

Bazaar is fun destination to bring out-of-town guests - checks all the LA/BH glam boxes and the food is quite good. Just avoid the “trust-me” menu it appears. Somni OTH is a straight up great foodie destination if you are keen on the modernist cooking style.

3 Likes

Per the LA Times, Bazaar and Somni may both be gone:

2 Likes