Germanyyyy

Yes it was delicious

Or bless you

1 Like

I loved Germany. I stayed at my girlfriend’s mother in laws house . What a gorgeous house . This lady could cook. Her baking was like professional wedding cakes . Superbly displayed. My favorite for breakfast was the spread of cold cuts , bread , cheese, jams ,and coffee. The one that i loved the most was a raw pork spread called Mett . I couldn’t get enough of this spread over pumpernickel in the morning.

2 Likes

Fantastic. Yes we love the way they do breakfasts… but that’s very similar to how our folks do it thought not as elaborate.

1 Like

Sometimes also served as Mett-Igel (hedgehog)

4 Likes

Wow. We saw one dead it was so bloated and huge

What is that sandwich? Looks like a huge piece of mackerel.

Herring. Was very popular everywhere. They cure theirs with more sugar than our pickled herring

Oh right, that weird sweet fish.

1 Like

You’ve had it the regular pickled way we or the swedes do it right? I prefer it.

I would love it . Im just going to have to make it myself again . When i returned from Germany in 2011 . I immediately found a pork source and made it . Now living in the far northern part of California. With plenty of farmlands. I will search out this fabulous porcine from a local farmer.

in munich,
for basic Turkish fare: Altin Dilim. they make their baklava daily - it is insanely good, miles beyond anything i’ve found in the US so far, primarily because the filo is so incredibly thin and shatters like glass. their doner is outstanding, as is the kuzu kavurma (a lamb? stew with mild green peppers and tomatoes.

for best doner and kebabs: sindbad. Iraqi restaurant, the kebabs are grilled over charcoal, the grilled tomatoes that come with them are outstanding, great char. seems to be open to only 1am these days (used to be until 4am), but they will fire up the grill for you even if its 10 minutes to closing.

the best biergartens in my opinion are:

1. Augustiner Stammhaus next to Marienplatz
  2. Hofbrauhaus next to Marienplatz, despite its touristy nature (its past history is problematic as well)

similar to how japanese high-end grocery stores are great places to eat, Dallmayr next to Marienplatz is a great all-purpose food market, as is the Galeria Kaufhof across from Marienplatz
it is CRITICAL to get a laugendreieck from Galeria Kaufhof, which is a hybrid prezel-croissant. INSANELY good
fresh pretzels from kaufhof are also notable, even within the saturated pretzel market of bavaria

roast pork sandwiches with a slice of crackling included from the viktualienmarkt (i forget the name of the butcher stand that did it best)

manam thai on rosenheimer strasse, conveniently on the way to the airport on the S-bahn. a decade ago, this place was shockingly good (i would rank it above anywhere in LA currently), but in the couple times i went in 2019, the quality had fallen off a bit. not sure if that was a real change or just my bad luck

1 Like

Turkish cuisine tends to fly under the radar for many tourists in Germany (beside doner) even though about 5% of the German population have Turkish roots and so you can get excellent dishes and many sit down places.

There’s a serious Turkish restaurant in Santa Clara.

Meyhouse ?

Yeah, that’s the place. My affluent Turkish ex-boss recommended it highly. They’re either moving to Palo Alto or opening a second location there.

Turkish was the most popular non German recommendation all over the internet while we were researching Germany food options. Well on the radar imo. We focused on German ourselves though. Food overall was better than expected.

a more precise set of munich recommendations:
in the morning:
laugendreieck and pretzels (hopefully fresh - i think the long ones called laugenstangerl are better than the traditional ones) from galeria kaufhof (in the basement food area, off of Marienplatz). personally i think laugendreieck are a worth a dedicated trip, but more conveniently, all the rischart shops are reliable for traditional breads and pastries (many train stations have kiosks).

lunch or dinner:
at either augustiner stammhaus (when you enter, i prefer to avoid the host, go to the right, and sit at one of the communal long tables but there is also a courtyard in the back) or hofbrauhaus (both next to marienplatz)
the most classic and essential thing you can get is a schweinshaxe (pork knuckle/hock with crispy skin). schnitzel at either place is also good. avoid the pretzels at either place. beer: at augustiner, edelstoff; at hofbrauhaus, the basic original. desserts at augustiner are meh, at hofbrauhaus, the dampfnudel is very good - similar to a tres leches.

if you like asparagus, it doesn’t get any better than fresh white asparagus from bavaria. early june will be at the very tailend of the season, but you might still be able to find it. both beerhalls will do solid versions of it, but you might try to find a fancier place for dinner that might feature it more (maybe the restaurant at dallmayr, although i cant vouch for their quality myself). ideally, you’d just buy it fresh from the market next to marienplatz and cook it yourself…

and then if you have a second day, i would recommend altin dilim (in the previous recs), and potentially an exploration of dallmayr - a very fancy grocery store. notably you can find some very outstanding cheeses at dallmayr from across europe.

2 Likes

Just arrived in Munich today. This place is very close to our hotel, so we stopped here for our first meal. Will post pics later, but the kofte was DELICIOUS. Whatever the chili sauce is is crack. I ordered enough for 3-4 people, and it was 30 euro. Crowd there is a melting pot. Great stuff, and a nice antidote to the cruise were just on. Many thanks for the rec.

Is there a specific name for the chili sauce?

2 Likes

I think it’s acili ezme. Often made with harissa.

If you like Turkish food, also check out Turkitch. It does get pretty busy and there was no English spoken when we went, just fyi.

1 Like

Weinbar Griabig,