Gift Card Restaurants -2020

Okay, okay. Message me Jun Won’s Venmo! :smile:

2 Likes

I bought a Guerrilla Tacos’ GC @Chowseeker1999.

2 Likes

Get one. And get takeout

5 Likes

At least for fine dining (or even moderate dining), takeout is a money loser or just break even and I think chefs are only doing it to keep busy and to try to keep some staffers on. You have to remember that a lot of profit in fine and moderate dining comes from alcohol sales. While all restaurants are now allowed to sell alcohol (including hard liquor I believe) to go, I don’t believe many people are ordering great quantities of alcohol from restaurants and paying restaurant markups.

Let’s put it this way. I personally know a renown doctor who a couple times of week will go to a rotating variety of the doctor’s favorite fine dining restaurants and order several hundred dollars of wine with dinner. This doctor is now on the front lines at the hospital trying to save lives. You can’t make up $400 in alcohol sales with takeout.

I personally would not be buying gift cards because I think many of the restaurants will not reopen. A lot of restaurants have Go Fund Me pages where they are raising money for furloughed employees. It’s a band aid but I contributed to one group’s Go Fund Me. I wish I could contribute to them all, but I cannot. This is not something that you and I can solve. It is going to take government money, of which I fear there will be none. As David Chang said sarcastically, “too small to fail.” The money is going to be for the airlines and other big players.

2 Likes