Glendale lunch

Big downturn alert on Elena’s in the last six months, btw. Been going there for a decade but a precipitous falloff caused by the son taking over, going way too hard in the delivery app space so the kitchen is swamped and QC is absent. Very sad, tbh.

10 Likes

Oh man, that sucks

Add an expansion to that list @caleb.

A lot of the FTC recommended restaurants we wanted try are closed Tuesdays, so we went with Elena’s. Long story but we ended up going to the new Elena’s Estiatorio, in Burbank. Same dishes as the original but with an expanded menu, full bar, hookah lounge and contemporary decor.

Old-fashioned & Massaya Arak

Our lunch ended up being closer to dinner time so we ordered 2 cocktails (nix the wine list). Bartender wasn’t there, so drinks were made by the hostess/manager (not sure) who confessed to knowing nothing about making cocktails. Mm hmm I’ll leave it at that…

Mezze - Complimentary Trio of Olives, Pickled Onions & Toum. Sampler for Two of Hummus, Labni, Moutabel, Muhammara, Tabbouleh

Their pita is an adequate vehicle for the dips but we thought the mezze was excellent. :hearts:

Chicken Lula Kebab & Cabbage Salad

Good dressing.

Beef Shawarma

The shawarma was fine, kinda dry. The chicken lula was good as was the starchy rice cooked in broth. The highlight was the mezze. I would go back for that.

The restaurant has been open a month and is still working out the kinks. It was empty which I guess is understandable between lunch & dinner on a weekday. Server said they’ve done well hosting special events (disco night, live performances) and were packed on NYE. Our server was very gracious and passionate about Greek & Armenian cuisine.

Sorry it’s not actually a Glendale report, but good thread revival, Y’all. Thanks for weighing-in!

7 Likes

I hope you didn’t have to pay the full price

1 Like

Haha yes. We didn’t have the heart to criticize. They were too sweet and anxious about making the cocktails. She called the bartender to find out how to make an old-fashioned lol. My husband could’ve told her that! :joy:

Yeah, last time we were at the Glendale location, I actually had to say something to the new manager/son (rice was uncooked, all meats overcooked, took about 50 minutes to arrive) and all he could talk about was how excited they were about the new location and how it was going to have a bar. Teach your children well, people!

1 Like

But, to keep this thread useful, go check out Patar Shawarma on Colorado, specializing in a (new-to-me) pretty great Armenian pork ‘shaurma’. Surly Russian-speaking counterwoman, a parade of dudes blasting cigs near their M-series out front, Alla Pugacheva blasting on the Pandora radio, pure Glendale bliss.

4 Likes

This is disconcerting. I moved from Atwater a few years ago, but have eaten there since the 90s. Love that place. Is Virgine still there? I take it from your post her husband retired?

1 Like

Can’t speak too much to specifics, but around a year and a half ago they started showing up on UberEats/Doordash, etc, changed/expanded the menu, brought in strange ‘fancy’ serving platters, all which seemed to coincide with what I assume was Virgine’s son?/someone related to the family running the dining room, and making an absolute hash of it.

1 Like

We made a dinner of Zhengyalov Hatz. Stuffed bread plus yogurt drink plus baklava (best I’ve ever had). The restaurant is a treasure.

5 Likes

For what it’s worth, we regularly get delivery from Adana, which is very good. Delivery from Elena’s was a clear downgrade. I did like their eech and muhammara though.

I think Adana and Mini Kabob are my favorites.

4 Likes

I love Adana. There’s a reason JGold had it on his list, and it’s still solid.

4 Likes

I love the eggplant at Adana. Kashk-e-bademjan, igra, mutahbul, etc.