Going to SF on Monday

Two blocks from B44 and Sam’s Grill (Belden Place).

Three blocks from Mr. Jiu’s.

Five to City View dim sum.

Six to New Woey Loy Goey.

It’s close to the wrong end of Chinatown, the tourist-trap tchotchke-shop stretch of Grant Street.

1 Like

Boba Guys is great; drinks, Kaya toast, pineapple cakes

Bouche: expensive French

Tunnel Top: good cocktail bar

Close to a lot !

1 Like

Bouche’s good, or at least was pre-Covid.

I wouldn’t say Bush & Stockton is close to much. That’s in the touristy Union Square area and adjacent to the Financial District office-tower district, neither of which have many restaurants that would draw people to the area. I go to Perbacco, Barbacco, B44, Sam’s Grill, ONE65 Patisserie … Covid killed a few others.

1 Like

https://www.b44sf.com/
We LOVE this place!!!

1 Like

If they don’t feel comfortable walking through the tunnel, walk down to Grant and you’re in Chinatown.

1 Like

walk down to Grant and you’re in Chinatown

Yeah but as I said that stretch of Grant is all tourist-trap tchotchke shops. You have to walk some blocks and know where you’re going to got to a decent Chinese restaurant.

Pre-Covid, Hunan’s Home was an OK cheap place. Not a typical Hunan menu.

This is a decent list of Chinatown places:

This is also decent:

No, it’s not. And I’ve been going to the Wok Shop for over 35 years. And Bund Shanghai on Jackson just to the right off Grant. And what’s the place right across from them?

There’s not a single good restaurant on Grant between Bush and Broadway, they’re all off on side streets, so as I said you have to know where you’re going. Bund Shanghai is eight blocks from Bush & Stockton.

The Wok Shop is an exception to the rule that that part of Grant is all touristy gift shops, and well worth a visit, but but we’re talking about restaurants.

On Grant, I do like:

Vital Tea Leaf, 1044 Grant: gynostemma tea

HK Clay Pot Restaurant, 960 Grant: spicy jellyfish, salt & pepper quail; sauteed mustard greens with garlic; clay pot rice with Cantonese sausage

I’m going to try one of those.

I can’t remember the name but we bought some great Chinese pork at a place on Grant.

We used to live near the Mission District and loved the burritos.

If you’re easily offended, avert your eye. We call them EDBs (elephant dick burritos ) :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is some gems on Grant. Kite Shop, Wok Shop, Golden Gate Bakery, Eastern Bakery (with cool murals on the side of the building), Li Po.

Edit I should have read all the responses. You already mentioned Wok Shop. Yeah I would stay away from any restaurants on Grant and head over to Stockton

Chinatown Kite Shop is great.

The Wok Shop is great too.

Golden Gate Bakery is closed :frowning:

Eastern Bakery has great lotus moo cakes and winter melon cakes.

+1 for Li Po

I like the Braised pork shank; du genesis crab w/rice cakes; lion’s head meatballs at Bund.

I see Bourdain really liked it!!!

PS: I’m getting a real kick out of this Chinatown diversion :slight_smile:

I ate here. It was delish. What is an LA equivalent?

Depends- what neighborhood in LA are you in and did you get the Farolito regular burrito (rice, beans, salsa, any meat) or the super burrito (rice beans, salsa, sour cream, cheese, avocado, any meat)? As a transplant to LA I looked for Mission style super burritos for years and they’re pretty thin on the ground in LA.

3 Likes