Good eats in Palmdale or Canyon Country. Do they exist?

As if the SFV wasn’t far enough, I’ve now done it and moved way out to BFE. Are there any good eats out here or am I stuck w/ hauling stuff back from LA proper?

I’m equal distance from Palmdale and Canyon Country.

An acquaintance of mine said he likes this place:
http://www.thehalfwayhousecafe.com

I don’t know him well enough to know if his tastes align well w/ mine (or yours). But might be worth a try.

Halfway House certainly looks more up my alley as compared to my current breakfast option Crazy Otto’s Diner.

That sounds very… fascist. :frowning:

1 Like

Sorry to hear that

The “best all-you-can-eat” indian buffet in all of CA is in santa clarita according to the reputable yelp.

p.s. my condolences

4 Likes

27 miles out. So close but so far…

The solace is I can probably cover the 27 miles in the same time it takes someone to get from Westside Pavilion onto the 405.

2 Likes

Do they exist? Yes, yes they do. While hardly a wellspring of great international eats, Santa Clarita and the Antelope Valley are hardly BFE . There are plenty of decent places and some real surprises, but more on that some other time.

I get tired of the attitude that’s it’s complete nowheresville (or worse). I find it sorely lacking some of my interests, but eating out/dinnig isn’t one of them. Though one’s mileage may vary, especially if pre-disposed.

These two areas have Armenian, Korean, Indian, Colombian, Salvadorean, Thai, Vietnamese and “Mediterranean” among its restaurants. In the past, Oaxacan, Hungarian, Persian and Peruvian had representation. There are also some decent “American” places, sushi spots, etc. Spectacular? No. But, far from a wasteland. Though again, one’s mileage may vary.

The town I have relocated to has more vets than fast food restaurants. How’s that for BFE?

There are plenty of decent places and some real surprises, but more on that some other time.

Dinner is in 45 minutes, so the time is now!

1 Like

Sorry, Ns1, I don’t have any recs for Acton :slight_smile:

Ohmigod, are you really in Acton, or is @JThur01 joking??? I know virtually nothing about Acton, but the little I do know makes me want to say, AW, HELLS NO! HELLLLLLLLL NO!!!

That is all.

2 Likes

I enjoy the filet-o-fish at the Acton mcdonald’s

1 Like

In Palmdale, try Lee Esther’s Creole and Cajun Cooking. It’s fantastic. Jasmine Thai Restaurant is also pretty good.

In Canyon Country:
Pho Viet
Charcoal Grilled Chicken
Mom Can Cook (Thai)
ZingGa Grill (Korean bowls)
Ay Caramba

You didn’t mention Newhall, but since it’s close I’ll mention Newhall Refinery and Southern Smoke BBQ & Brewhouse. Also, there’s a wine tasting room called Double Trouble that has two wineries (Hoi Polloi and Pagter Brothers). They let you bring food in and eat there with their wines. Wines are excellent. Egg Plantation is good for breakfast, but crowded and a long wait on weeekends.

6 Likes

Acton has fought very hard to not have supermarkets and fast food, so as Ns1 writes, pretty much McDonald’s and Jack in the Box.

There’s the two Mexican places, which I don’t know much about. Miso Sushi, which I haven’t been in the Acton branch, but was at one time one of the better sushi places in the AV (though most of the really good sushi chefs they had dispersed to other places). There’s the little coffee place I don’t know much about, then there’s the Italian/Chinese/Mexican place…

Best wishes in Acton, @Ns1. The only thing I know about Acton is my former coworker and her husband owned a ranch with horses out that way. Life is rustic out that way. Hope you get good recs.

I’ve been to McD and JitB 7x in the past week.

2 Likes

At least they got one place for pho in Palmdale!!

1 Like

This is my reality.

7 Likes

Reminds me of Asian place I went to in Greece (the combo of multiple cultures, not the diarrhea part). The chef (I presume) was Asian and nearly tripped over himself when he saw me and my Asian travel companion. We got a free app. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Skipping a meal never killed anyone.

1 Like