Good Ham for Thanksgiving

anyone know where I can get a nice city spiral cut ham, around 10 lbs+? We plan to put our own sweet glaze and cook in the oven.
we are making thanksgiving dinners for my wife’s older aunties and uncles. Since we cant spend it with them we plan to deliver mini thanksgiving meals to them
thanks in advance

2 Likes
1 Like

awesome, thanks!

In case you need more options
https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/srf-american-kurobuta-pork/ham.html

I bought a very small one from The Butchery last year. Many people liked this better than the ham we usually get from Honey Baked store. There was no glaze on the outside so it didn’t have the sweet crunchy exterior.

2 Likes

Thanks, more options the better!

2nd part to this question, anyone have good glaze recipes for the ham?

1 Like

Ohhh I hope someone does. I’ve been wanting to glaze my own ham.

1 Like

I don’t like it, but this recipe sounds plausible to me. Four stars after 580 reviews.

1 Like

Costco. Their Kirkland spiral cut ham is great. We actually prefer it over Honeybaked Ham, and its a third of the price. Comes with its own glaze mix too.

1 Like

You probably already picked your glaze recipe @Hungrydrunk, but future reference and anyone else looking - my girlfriend said I could share her grandmother’s “amazing” glaze recipe.

“All of these ingredients’ measurements are to taste”

Apple
Orange
Pineapple
Maraschino cherries
Fresh Garlic
Onion
Ground cloves
Star anise
Cinnamon
Brown sugar

“You basically take all of the ingredients and chop them in a food processor (chop - not purée) then heat it on the stove Stirring often. About 30 minutes.

Spread it all over the ham And place pineapple rings (using toothpicks) over the body of the ham. Stuff A couple of cherries inside each pineapple ring. Bake in the oven at about 350° for an hour, basting once or twice. You’ll know it’s done when the pineapples start to look a little caramelized.”

3 Likes

That’s like a Roman or medieval recipe, it presumes that you have a rough idea of how much of each ingredient to use.

Not that I give Robert any thought, but my girlfriend just happened to find and send this too me. Enjoy!

2 Likes

As long as you don’t expect to end up with a glaze like what’s on a Honeybaked ham. As I understand it, their glaze is actually “cooked” with a torch so it ends up like spiced candy – difficult to duplicate. That said, your recipes sound great.

1 Like

Interesting. Looks like it evolved from a midcentury recipe (canned fruit in heavy syrup, teeny amounts of spices) brought up to date with fresh onion, garlic, and fruit, star anise. Likely dropped mustard along the way.

Haha… she prefaced it with “This will not get crispy like Honeybaked”. I’m not a big maraschino cherry fan but we always have them for hubs’ old-fashioneds. I think I’ll try making it for Xmas.

…and I’ll add the mustard back in.

Minimalist recipe from the 1951 NY Times cookbook. I guess that’s for a ham that’s cured and smoked but not cooked.