Good Mexican food inglewood

I agree, the tacos dorados at Tacomiendo are way better than Tito’s. BTW, if you find yourself at Tacos Por Favor, don’t sleep on their crispy tacos. Chorizo and carne asada are both solid.

3 Likes

Sweeeeet.

It’s like a reunion of CH posters from that thread that @CiaoBob posted! Glad to hear that Tacomiendo has managed to stay consistent over the years.

And yeah, at least according to their website, their tortillas are handmade.

1 Like

I totally concur about the Chorizo. I get the Chorizo potato taco. so good. Damn, Im salivating as I type this LOL!

1 Like

The parking options are better at the Gateway Ave location than the Inglewood Blvd location as well. But the business at the Inglewood Blvd location is usually pretty brisk.

When I referred to Taqueria Sanchez above, I was referring to the one at 4541 Centinela.

I didn’t know there was another one on inglewood Blvd.

We did a comparison today between Taqueria Sanchez on Inglewood Blvd. and Tacomiendo, almost directly across the street. We ordered one carne asada, one carnitas, and one crispy taco from each, with rice and beans.

Taqueria Sanchez

Tacomiendo

Both asada tacos were decent, but Taqueria Sanchez’s meat was more flavorful. The carnitas were dry at both places, but Tacomiendo’s were less so.

Tacomiendo had a great hard-shell potato taco. The potatoes were flavorful and oniony and the shell was light and crisp. Taqueria Sanchez didn’t have ground beef or potatoes, so we got a crispy taco with carnitas, it was fine, but would have been better with a different filling.

The beans and rice were average at both, Northgate Market, half a block away, has much better rice and beans in their hot food section. Tacomiendo had good tortillas, but they weren’t mind-blowing or anything. Service was quick and friendly at both places, Taqueria Sanchez had better chips.

All told, it’s a toss-up, but I’ll be back to Tacomiendo for the potato tacos, and to try the vegetable tacos, the birria tacos, and the soups.

Taqueria Sanchez (To-go only, no seating)
4525 Inglewood Blvd., Culver City, 90230

Tacomiendo
4502 Inglewood Blvd., Culver City, 90230

3 Likes

I have to say - after seeing your pictures - I have never been to the Inglewood Tacomiendo and all my comments above are for the Pico/Gateway branch.

+1 only been to Pico/Gateway Tacomiendo

+2 only been to Pico/Gateway Tacomiendo

Same here. Pico and Gateway.

OMG - Aesthete’s right. Y’all ‘fraid o’ da “bear-ee-oh”! :wink:

1 Like

Thanks to all the Tacomiendo recommendations (albeit, for the SM location), we stopped by the Inglewood Blvd location last night to try it out, hoping to find a solid neighborhood Mexican spot. And that, I think we did.

beef dorado / carne asada / carnitas

chicken dorado / potato dorado / rice & beans

total = ~$18

THE GOOD

• The free pot of beans (not pictured) was a great snack while waiting for the rest of the meal. Really tasty/free. The only bummer is that they won’t give you a bowl, so you have to use one of the small condiment containers.
  • Putting the pickled onions on the tacos was probably the biggest pro tip in this thread. Along with the salsas, cilantro, limes, radishes, etc. the condiment table is a big thing Tacomiendo has going for it.
  • I thought all three of my tacos were solid. Love that dorado. Class above Tito’s. And agree with @Bookwich that the carnitas were a bit dry, but when you threw on the condiments, it still made for a winner. The tortillas may not take the blue ribbon, but to me, they were another check in the positive column for the tacos.

THE NOT SO GOOD

• Having received @aaqjr’s warnings about the rice, I skipped the combo plate. First Lady Mochi, though, wasn’t so lucky. I didn’t try them, but the feedback was not positive. Same for that guac. I did try that, and it was unfortunate.

OVERALL

I thought the food was pretty much exactly what I was searching for. Not the best in the city, but it doesn’t have to be. I will definitely be back. I’m looking forward to trying some of the other dishes. And maybe go up to Pico/Gateway to try out that location too. Thanks again, y’all!

5 Likes

Nice photos!

+1 Coni’s

7 Likes

Stay away from El Abajeno - across the street from Tacomiendo. The food is pretty bad by any standard. The only good thing about them relative to the location is that they have parking.

1 Like

Thank you! I was curious about that place.

Btw, next door to Tacomiendo is Organic Coffee, which made me a “Kickstarter” juice drink. It was incredibly green and delicious, made to order from lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, cut and juiced right in front of you. $6 for a large cup, at least 16 ounces.

2 Likes

Thanks back - I’ve been wondering about the coffee shop since it was no longer Gio’s.

1 Like

They have a full menu, including breakfast and lunch items, maybe pasta also? I don’t recall, but it’s worth checking out, I think. The food that customers were eating looked pretty good.

2 Likes

HA. I was just coming in to say stay away from Tacomiendo and go to El Abajeno. The Carnitas Taquitos (which are really tacos) are heavenly

Their beef, chicken and pork (not carnitas) are prepared in some watery almost flavorless stew forms and sit in the steam tables. Tried their “Fiesta plate” included the beef Colorado and said chicken. My daughter had a pork burrito. Absolutely the dreariest waste of calories we’ve ever experienced in a long time. But I will keep the carnitas taco/taquito rec in mind.

So glad you enjoyed it! Definitely check out Pico/Gateway. The carnitas are consistently crispy, delicious, and moist. Also, just a heads up, they will sub the rice out for double beans if you get the combo plate.