Good sushi near Westwood

As someone with ChowPups often in tow:

Wadatsumi by Harikawa (on Pico Blvd., next to Westside Pavilion) is not a sushi place per se (it’s more of a general washoku restaurant), but they are super kid friendly and serve just as great sushi as most other dedicated sushi joints in the area.

PLUS, if the kids do get picky, never fear, for you gots LOTS of other cooked options to choose from at Harikawa.

And for BEER (and a damn fine, dare I say, legendary burger): Father’s Office (Culver City, on Helms)

2 Likes

The Cannibal in Culver City has an outstanding beer selection

1 Like

@CiaoBob thanks for the rec on Hide on Sawtelle. Checked it out today and it was a big hit. $75 for the family of four. Will be back!

3 Likes

nice!
glad you liked it

Okay, a lot can happen in 3 years. Have you fallen in or out of love with any of these recs?

We’re looking for a nice place in this general area to go with our nephew, a budding sushi-phile. He eats at Sugarfish in Brentwood a lot, but knows it’s not top tier (it’s close to his job). I want to impress him, but not super high-end “omakase only” impress him. Plus I don’t think those places will work. He recently had the omakase at Sushi Gen and discovered he doesn’t like toro (fatty tuna). “It’s too soft & mushy.”

Any recs? Thanks!

1 Like

Stretching a bit geographically to help answer this question…

Decent: Sushi King (Wilshire & 14th, in Santa Monica)
Good: Asuka (south of Bristol Farms, on Westwood Blvd.), and Takao (on San Vicente, in Brentwood)
Very Good: Kiriko (Sawtelle) and Masakazu (on Westwood Blvd., south of SM Blvd.)

Good luck!

4 Likes

Wow, time flies. How old is your nephew? My kids are 10 and 7 now so we still don’t go anywhere for omakase. The two spots we hit the most are:
Kazunori - awesome hand rolls and sashimi. They have no cut rolls here. No tables either, just a big bar to sit at. Lineups are common.
The Room - nothing fancy here but the sushi is solid. Lots of interesting rolls. Sugarfish is a nicer room.

2 Likes

perhaps a sashimi or chirashi bowl for lunch at sushi tsujita. they also do alc nigiri and omakase.

7 Likes

Thanks @J_L!

I’ve been to and like Takao. He probably has too. I bugged him about it after going to Sugarfish for the umpteenth time. I’ll check out Asuka too.

I want to try Kiriko myself, so that’s a good one. It will become all about me, though. I’ll want to bang it all up and down Sawtelle afterward. Their website is down. Price-wise can you give me a ballpark or a comparison? He says he won’t, but my husband almost always treats when it comes to the kids. I don’t want to give him a stroke.

Of course, I want to go to Masakazu. Loved your report. Probably won’t work for him. He’s easy going, but one of the peeps who think they like everything, but when you eat with them you find it’s not the case.

We haven’t set a date yet. But I’ll try to sneak in a few pics for the thread. :wink:

Hi @DrinkSmokeGolf -

Are you asking my age? :smile: He’s an adult. Technically he’s my husband’s nephew… she says as her vanity kicks in.

I don’t think I’ve heard of The Room. Looks like fun, Americanized rolls. I see those fried potato wrapped shrimp that I :heart: at Izakaya by Katsuya on 3rd. Yes, I’m still an occasional, shameless, crazy sushi roll lover.

I’ve been wanting to check out Kazunori. Probably not a suitable sit-down dinner option?

Thanks!

Oh yay! Perfect. I can try the glorious bowl at Tsujita finally!

Edit: He wants dinner. :smirk: I’m goin’ over there myself! I can bang ‘til my heart’s content.

The search continues. Good luck, indeed @J_L.

1 Like

I think Kiriko might be the right move here. Reservations recommended

1 Like

It may be named after the film of the same name

2 Likes

If you are okay with a different part of LA you might try Mako sushi in little Tokyo. As a plus you are right by the Blue Whale if you like Jazz.

2 Likes

Kiriko is a very good choice. For omakase, it usually runs about $110 -160 for me. Non-omakase, with a mix of sushi and cooked dishes ordered, I typically come in somewhere between $75 - 90 but that includes a few pricier items. Make sure to try one of their housemade ice creams.

2 Likes

Kiriko is my rec, too.
Price can be somewhat high, but not too high if you avoid the omakase. It would be a great place for your nephew to not only dig deeper into sushi, but to develop a friendly relationship with an itamae. Anyone at Kiriko would take good care of your nephew and will remember him.
Plus, anytime you think the bill is getting too large, you can pull the ‘chute and say you all need to save room for ________ down the street.

1 Like

I love those reviews! :rofl: :joy: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Have loved Sasubune since the early 90s on Sawtelle. Also a big fan of Hamasaku (although I’ve never thought of it as a roll place).

1 Like

I enjoyed my meal there. And Hamasaku does serve straight up sushi, not just rolls. But do note that the haiga-mai (half-milled rice) which Yoya-san uses for nigiri is quite unorthodox.

1 Like

Have to say - based on a meal there this week - that Hamasaku’s non-crazy-roll, traditional sushi and sashimi quality is not what it used to be. I think their clientele is not interested in it and the sushi/sashimi I had as part of their $80 omakase (particularly the ikura) was not very good.