Good sushi near Westwood

I think Kiriko might be the right move here. Reservations recommended

1 Like

It may be named after the film of the same name

2 Likes

If you are okay with a different part of LA you might try Mako sushi in little Tokyo. As a plus you are right by the Blue Whale if you like Jazz.

2 Likes

Kiriko is a very good choice. For omakase, it usually runs about $110 -160 for me. Non-omakase, with a mix of sushi and cooked dishes ordered, I typically come in somewhere between $75 - 90 but that includes a few pricier items. Make sure to try one of their housemade ice creams.

2 Likes

Kiriko is my rec, too.
Price can be somewhat high, but not too high if you avoid the omakase. It would be a great place for your nephew to not only dig deeper into sushi, but to develop a friendly relationship with an itamae. Anyone at Kiriko would take good care of your nephew and will remember him.
Plus, anytime you think the bill is getting too large, you can pull the ‘chute and say you all need to save room for ________ down the street.

1 Like

I love those reviews! :rofl: :joy: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Have loved Sasubune since the early 90s on Sawtelle. Also a big fan of Hamasaku (although I’ve never thought of it as a roll place).

1 Like

I enjoyed my meal there. And Hamasaku does serve straight up sushi, not just rolls. But do note that the haiga-mai (half-milled rice) which Yoya-san uses for nigiri is quite unorthodox.

1 Like

Have to say - based on a meal there this week - that Hamasaku’s non-crazy-roll, traditional sushi and sashimi quality is not what it used to be. I think their clientele is not interested in it and the sushi/sashimi I had as part of their $80 omakase (particularly the ikura) was not very good.

i have had one stellar and one less than mediocre (but equally expensive) omakase at Hamasaku.
Must seat in front of Yoya-san, if at all.

I would second Tsujita Sushi.

Third’ing Sushi Tsujita.

I will say, if I can stereotype a bit, my non-Asian friends that don’t eat much sushi seem to love Hamasaku. I haven’t enjoyed a meal there in 4 visits but my white friends rave about how amazing if an experience it is. Personally, I can’t remember a single dish I enjoyed from their omakase. But they are always super busy and packed inside regardless.

I should add Yoya Takahashi was not present the evening I went in.

He divides his time between Hamasaku and its sister restaurant, Umi in El Segundo.

Ahhhh…
We were served by the 3rd tier guy (I guess 4th tier, if you count the absent Toya-san) so perhaps it’s not as bad as I think.
Still, I am not going back unless I read or hear of better experiences from reliable sources.

Hiya’ @CiaoBob & All -

Are you retracting “quality” and replacing it with “technique”? Because I’ve been leaning toward Hamasaku. It’s an elevated, mid-tier spot (imo). Good for our after work meetup - close to nephew’s gym, has both alc & omakase (and a menu!). I like that they have a seasonal & sustainable menu. If we can get seated with Yoya-san do you guys recommend?

P.S. I’m fourth-ing Tsujita, but we’re not doing lunch and it’s not a baller type evening.

1 Like

Personally id rather do Bar Hayama. It’s not strictly a sushi spot but what they have is good. And there cooked dishes are good as well. It’s a nice atmosphere and fun drinking spot

1 Like

…and I trust your seafood knowledge. thx @aaqjr! :slight_smile:

My, my… they weren’t lyin’. They do have a sake bar. Anything strike your fancy? Uhhh… @beefnoguy?

https://www.bar-hayama.com/menu/menu-beverage/

1 Like

Never had Mikotsuru, but that sounds interesting. If you go you should also try Isojiman (Junmai Ginjo). You might also enjoy Urakasumi Zen, it has a very plump nose of strawberries. Personally I’m a huge fan of Kenbishi but it could be too pungent for beginner drinkers (you might like it)…there are two kinds: Mizuho which is aged 5 to 8 years and is a Junmai, very acidic, and Kuromatsu which is a Honjozo and also aged before release (my personal favorite). Both are fantastic warmed, and Mizuho pairs even better with charcuterie/salumi/proscuitto/mortadella than a Brunello, surprisingly. Not sure if Bar Hayama is the right place for Kenbishi, but the Kuromatsu Honjozo can also go with American sushi rolls (and of course all sorts of cooked food…grilled, deep fried, stews etc) but the best pairing is actually with Japanese oden (I guess you could pair it with Korean oden too, that would be mighty interesting…and perhaps soon dubu, doenjang jjigae, and perhaps even the hangover stew haejangguk which is an irony in itself).

1 Like