Grand Ole BBQ y Asado

I didn’t even know they had a spicy version until I was asked, regular or spicy. Very mildly spicy, actually. It was pretty good slaw, something to go with the meat, although eating it with their wooden spoons was awkward (too straight).

BTW, on their website (Dagney posted a link, above), I think they only offer brisket four days a week, Wednesday through Saturday. That might not be current, but that’s what it says.

Thanks for starting this thread! I’m really looking forward to my next trip down to SD. Can’t wait to try the brisket and the lamb.

We went for opening day and it was by far the most legit bbq brisket I have had in SD. I hope they can maintain the quality. A couple of the workers mentioned the bbq turkey leg being fantastic.

I got there today after putzing around the Mercato for too long this morning and they were all sold out.

#Sadness

Yeah, so as Doc mentions above, brisket’s only available Weds thru Saturday. Sunday is apparently their Argentinian BBQ day, which doesn’t include brisket on the menu. And not only that, but according to the employee there just now, they will NOT be doing brisket for lunch anymore either. I believe he said they have to do something with the meat the night before to prep it, and then getting the timing right for lunch the next day isn’t as easy or something, so in order to maintain the level of quality they want they’re only going to have it at dinner going forward. In other words [if he was right], your next chance to get the brisket isn’t until Wednesday night at 5:30.

I know all of this because we went this afternoon to try the place out. We showed up on the late side in order to avoid any lunch rush, but that turned out to be a mistake because it meant they were out of the brisket by the time we were there. (And like I said, according to the employee we spoke with, today was the last day we would’ve been able to get brisket at lunch.) We ended up having a tri tip sandwich, which was good in that the bread and meat were fresh and the meat was well cooked, but there was a lot of gristle and the flies really were a-swarmin’. Apparently flies aren’t a problem in the evening though. I wish we’d gotten turkey instead, which supposedly is very good there.

ipsedixit, looks like we were there around the same time.

Sorry, last thing. I said your next chance for brisket’s Wednesday night. But I realized that’s incorrect. You could go tonight for dinner and get it. Then after that, not until Weds.

Reminds me of trying to get a burnt ends sandwich at OK Joe’s.

Sigh.

You should of hung with me Ipse at Ok. Joe’s…had all the burnt ends we wanted but I wanted the burnt chicken breast ends…

That goes without saying @Plumeria.

I should always be hanging with you, but I don’t have the beach body to do so.

You have the intelligence Ipse and that is what’s important…not some stupid ‘beach body’…
Plus, you have humor too…

Quit making me think things…ha ha ha

You snooze you loose, especially with good Q.

I’m hoping to get there next week, will call ahead to verify brisket availability.

Interesting point, I love burnt chic end pieces from the grill, so it would be a natural to try the low and slow version.

Thnkx.

1 Like

Great review Doc!

(Mouth watering) Now I’m obsessing. I’m either going to GOB this week or making my own killer brisket at home!

Hot damn finally got around to going here this weekend and the brisket is just perfect. FINALLY San Diego, finally.

Has anyone tried Smok’d BBQ? As a point of comparison to Grand Ole BBQ?

We just tried their rib tips, and was very good, tender with crunchy cartilage to add a bit of variety to the mouthfeel. Pork belly tacos were good, but nothing really out of the ordinary.

I haven’t!

I think I will.

It’s been on my radar for a little while now, but have yet to get there. Good to hear of another worthy BBQ place in San Diego. Seems like a lot of people are trying to fill the BBQ void in SD right now. Besides flying pig in North County, we also have Busgsy’s “Southern Soul” style BBQ opened up on 5th adjacent to Horton Plaza. Pitmaster Jake Green certainly has his BBQ pedigree and I cant wait to give it a bite!

@FakeName and @RhonelyInsanediego,

Would love to hear how both or either of you think of the place.