Gratuity Misinformation

how do you NOT notice the bill is 20% higher than expected?

Because I’m dumb!

There’s no doubt that I should have caught it before I handed the card to the server and before I added an additional tip. So why didn’t I look more carefully? As I think about it, I feel like there is a small part of me that is hesitant to review the bill, as if it could be taken as a slight against the server, like I don’t trust him/her to get it right. I know that’s silly. And actually, ever since this bill snafu last month, I have taken more care to look at the bill more thoroughly before paying so as to avoid repeating my past transgressions.

Live and learn, and then get Luvs, I suppose.

1 Like

Most of the places I go that include a service charge do not have a tip line on the credit card receipt.

That definitely makes the most sense.

I guess my main point of confusion was the difference between automatically added gratuity and service charges that stipulate that they have been added to help cover health care or “pay our team above minimum wage.” What I’ve gathered is that these two are effectively synonymous.

Damned semantics.

1 Like

Actual service charges in lieu of tips are usually 17 to 20%.

When I see smaller amounts they’re usually offsets for government mandates. They put them on the bill that way instead of raising prices to avoid them being counted as revenues, of which the landlord typically gets a percentage.

i particularly don’t like it when a “service charge” is included and the money is NOT going to the server.

A segment on KCRW’s “Good Food” about gratuity (starts at 32:45): Boudin King Cake, Bergamots at the Market, to Tip or not to Tip? | KCRW

I know this is super old but if the menu didn’t spell that out I’d be furious!