Great China - Berkeley

Reopens for indoor dining March 30, reservations accepted for parties of six or more.

1 Like

1 Like

:metal::metal::metal::metal::metal:

1 Like

New-to-us dish, filet of sea bass (A.Q., this was $70). Really good. That must have been one big fish before they broke it down.

Double magnum of Bordeaux blanc, fun for a party.

2 Likes

Have you tried their mei cai ko ro and sauteed crab meat with steamed buns? Really enjoyed them back in the days…

Mei cai ko ro is still good. Second only to Hakka in SF for me.

I haven’t had that crab in ages. Princess clams are still great.

1 Like

I went a month or so ago and the sauteed crab meat with steamed buns was the only miss (that, or none of us “got it” - it wasn’t terrible, but wasn’t particularly impressive either).

1 Like

What was wrong with it? Execution problem?

It’s pretty deep in the off season for crab. For $50 it better be fresh Dungeness, which this time of year isn’t local. Maybe coming from British Columbia?

1 Like

No clue, since I don’t really have a baseline for what the dish is supposed to be like. Flavor was just… kinda not there? I could tell I was eating crab, but not much more than that.

1 Like

The restaurant took some creative license with this dish. Traditionally, strictly egg whites are used to imitate the appearance and mouthfeel of real crab. It’s then cooked in a flavorful stock to boost umami so it’s a technical dish.

But I suppose they can’t charge a premium for just egg whites and it won’t sell so they mix in real crab.

1 Like

Realized I’d never actually posted anything except the comment on the crab dish… apart from that, I’m a pretty big fan. Ant Climbed the Tree is indeed pretty great, as are all the dumplings I’ve tried. Tea-smoked duck was pretty good but I only had a piece and it was for delivery so probably better in-person. Their fried rice is pretty good, though I’m not much of a fried rice guy. Need to try a bit more of their menu but I often find myself going (or ordering from) here with people who have various dietary constraints, since it does a good job at accomodating a surprisingly wide variety of them.

steamed surf clam

with the traditional fried rice to finish

some of the best salt and pepper prawns I’ve ever had

fantastic ong choy, I’ve never had it pale and huge like that, I want to go back while it lasts

There are always some gems on the wine list.

The guaifeibong has a lot of scallion whites on top, haven’t had it quite like that before. I like it with garlic and clear vermicelli.

What’s in the “traditional fried rice?”

Tradition of the house. Garlic one.

I found their salt and pepper prawns to be surprisingly middling, actually, at least in comparison to e.g. their walnut prawns (which a friend insisted on getting). Not really crispy enough.

Their garlic fried rice, on the other hand, I liked a lot more than I expected, considering I don’t really like garlic…

These prawns were perfect texture. I think better than any fried item I’ve had there previously. Not the super-crunchy style where you want to eat the whole shell.

1 Like

An actual fucking fortune for once. Kudos.

I’ve also found their salt and pepper prawns to be good, but not great. I get why they’re well-liked, but I find their salt and pepper prawns a bit different from other Cantonese preps. Sucking the shell first is part of how people eat it. Kind of like sucking the head juices first on a carabinero before taking a bite of the abdomen, common but not necessary. But with salt and pepper prawns, the extra fried crunch is kind of part of it, and maybe a bit more garlic and chiles than green onions. Personal preference - I think that Great China’s preparation would be better suited to squid.

I wish they had dried scallop and egg white fried rice. That’s a go-to move for me where they serve Cantonese food, and if they also have a clam and mustard greens soup, I like to pour just a little bit of the broth over it near the end to mix things up.

Never would have guessed this was 34 years old.

This wasn’t the cold style of Chinese chicken salad I was craving, but it was really good anyway.

Ong choy still fantastic. I guess we can thank the wet winter and spring.

Mongolian beef was fun. I just learned that this is actually a Taiwanese dish.

Vegetable chow mein. This came last and we were pretty full so it’ll be the foundation of tonight’s dinner.