Great old-timey restaurant experience

Very true. I’m going to go back to Taylor’s before I recommend it again. Sometimes it’s a matter of opinion. Musso and Frank’s carpet has seen better days. But I still enjoy going there… And I’m pretty squeamish.

Jonathan Gold’s ode to Musso & Frank’s made me want to try it. “Musso’s … menu of steaks, chops and sand dabs; chiffonade salads and turkey à la king; sweetbreads jardinière and lamb kidneys with bacon; apple cobbler and diplomat pudding, is one that any country club regular would have recognized in 1919. … celebrate Musso’s with an avocado cocktail, a dish of Welsh rarebit and another martini.”

2 Likes

http://taixfrench.com/sample-page/

1 Like

Good one. We passed by it the other day. I wasn’t sure if it was too Irish Pub-ish for OP.

There’s also Tom Bergin’s on Fairfax near LACMA.

Awesome pub… at not so pub prices :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep… That’s it! Good ole’ stuff. Don’t forget the Chicken Pot Pie.

Here’s something cool I found. A lot of it falls out of OP’s requirements. But it’s a cool list nonetheless.

3 Likes

Pann’s.

Too casual? Then The Dresden Room.

Too far from Santa Monica? Then Lawry’s in Beverly Hills.

3 Likes

I was just at Taylor’s a couple weeks ago; I didn’t notice anything gross-looking at all. Even the restroom was spotless.

The interior looks like it hasn’t been redecorated in 30-40 years, but that’s what you get with “old-timey” restaurants.

Food was excellent, as per usual, along with service. Highly recommended.

4 Likes

Love the clams at Galley.

Chez Jay is fun in a poor man’s Dan Tana’s kind of way.

1 Like

Love Pann’s
here are their new hours

Monday - Saturday
7:00am – 3:00pm

Sunday
8:00am – 4:00pm

…also Yes to Musso’s, The Galley, Lawry’s and Casablanca in Venice.

3 Likes

I’ll second or third both Tam O’Shanter and Musso and Franks. Had a friend visiting about a month ago. His first time in LA. Absolutely loved Musso and Frank’s.

As far as old timey or “old” LA goes, you can’t beat the Gallery Bar at the Biltmore. Not sure if they serve food but it’s a fun place for a cocktail or five.

3 Likes

Casablanca is a fave, especially the handmade tortillas. Unfortunately, we’ve been there recently with same couple.:thinking:

1 Like

What about old-school Chinese? Fu’s Palace or Hop Li, for example?

1 Like

The Gallery Bar is great, like drinking in an elaborate 1930s movie set. You can get food but it doesn’t really feel to me like a place to eat.

1 Like

Was just at Rao’s in LA recently, had the spaghetti marinara and a side of their meatballs.

I left wondering how in the world someone like Michael Phelps could eat 3x that amount per meal, daily. He must be a bit more active than me.

2 Likes

Ipse, I like the old school Chinese suggestion. Any thoughts on Yang Chow?

Yang Chow is good Americanized Chinese. Don’t think they have cocktails if that’s a consideration.

2 Likes

He needs his strength to carry around all those medals.

Vito’s is from another era. As old timey as it gets with tuxedoed captains, red leather booths, caesar salad prepared table side and good food. Even a dessert cart. Excellent cocktails, too.

3 Likes