Greetings + LA Questions:

I only looked at 2.0 which was a bit too expensive for our purposes. I’d go solo with my wife, but I can’t ask my in-laws to pony up $170 a head for dinner. I’ll have a look at Playground 1.0 but I have a feeling it might still be above our price range.

A couple of thoughts…

I went to Vaca Saturday night. The tapas were very good, and I can’t wait to go back and try the 50-day aged rib steak (the smallest one they had when we went was 2.5 pounds, there were only two of us, we wanted to try other things, etc.). Cocktails were also very good.

Avoid the paella, though. We ordered the seafood version. All of the seafood except the octopus (which may be the best I’ve ever had) was woefully overcooked, while the rice was undercooked. Al dente is great, but this was beyond that. The paella also lacked socarrat.

From what I understand, Taco Maria is not a great option for lunch, but it’s an amazing dinner destination. Again, Pueblo for tapas and Shuck for oysters in the same center are also great. From upscale, down, Anepalco, Taqueria Zamora, and Taqueria El Zamorano (not related to Zamora) would all be great for Mexican lunch, depending on how you’re feeling. The food at all of them is outstanding.

I don’t think you can do better than Kitakata for ramen, though I can’t compare to Mensho. It gets crowded, and parking can be a challenge, but it’s worth the wait.

As far as other Saturday night options go, Playground 1.0 may fit the bill, though the price point may be a tad high. If you want great Cuban, Bella Cuba would be a great option for you on Saturday night. Also in the neighborhood is Ritter’s SKC.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the info!

My first choice is Playground, which my inlaws have apparently been to and love. I get the sense that they’re more interested in trying Vaca, in which case, I’ll make note to avoid the seafood/paella and stick to the tapas, octopus and steaks. :slight_smile:

If Maria is best for dinner, we’ll save it for a future trip. I’d like to try Anepalco for lunch either Sunday or Monday. We’ll do Kitakata the other day.

Bella Cuba looks a bit too much like a Four Points Sheraton hotel lobby to me (ie. bland corporate atmosphere) and we have an apartment in Miami, so we’ll probably give that one a pass. Pueblo looks excellent however, and that might be our best option for Sunday dinner – I’ll run it by everyone now!

The octopus whas in the paella, but I would bet they have it elswhere on the menu.

I agree about the ambiance at Bella Cuba. Probably better suited for lunch.

Pueblo is great, but you’re already having Tapas/Spanish at Vaca, so I don’t know if that’s an issue. It’s not an issue for me. :slight_smile:

If you had to chose between the two (Vaca or Puebla) which would be your first choice?

Tough call. I’ve been to Pueblo a number of times and never been disappointed. It’s lower-key and less of a scene than Vaca. It’s a lot more intimate (read smaller). I actually like the more casual atmosphere of Pueblo. Plus there are good options in the same center for drinks, shopping, and whatever before and after. If you end up there, go to Susie Cakes before dinner. They will likely be closed when you’re done. You must get the whoopie pie. You can get other sweets if you want, but the whoopie pie is a must.

I liked Vaca. A lot, and we will be back, in spite of the paella. I can’t speak from a ton of experience, but others on this board whom I trust and respect have raved about it. I would suggest searching the board for other posts to get a better idea on Vaca. I will add that the charcuterie at Vaca was also outstanding.

I guess my answer is that it depends. Go to Vaca for a more upscale scene with over-the-top steak options. Go to Pueblo for very solid tapas in a more casual atmosphere.

Again, I would really encourage you to search the board for what others have to say about Vaca.

1 Like

Here is a great thread on Vaca.

It seems that reviews on the paella are mixed enough (too much meat, soupy rice, etc.) that looks like they’re just not consistent on it. I did really enjoy the flavor of it, but they missed on execution. YMMV.

1 Like

Lunch at Taco Maria is a la carte tacos with a few appetizers you’d normally see on dinner menus. While lunch is a different ball game than dinner the tacos are fantastic. All of the tacos are served on the great purple corn heirloom tortillas. The tacos are on the expensive side, I think all are $15+ for two. But you’re getting amazing tacos with quality ingredients. The fish taco and carnitas taco are as good as you’ll ever have.

The appetizers are not throw aways either. The corn, ceaser salad and aguachile all stand on their own. Sometimes they don’t have aguachile but I think they’ve had it on 75%+ of my lunch trips. The aguachile is the best around regardless of what seafood they use. The corn and ceaser are perfect to share if you have a group of 4 or 6. Aguachile should not be shared with anybody ever.

1 Like

has lunch pricing increased in the same manner as dinner?

It feels like the pricing on lunch has not increased as much as dinner if at all. The prices on the website if current are the same they’ve been for a long time. Maybe the lunch pricing is more stable since the menu is the same.

given that, it seems that the value proposition of lunch has increased - might have to go check out some $7.50 tacos.

Be sure to mix and match. You can get two different types of tacos per order. The hot sauce they give you on the side is very spicy so try a little before you add way too much like I did the first time.

1 Like

Hi @Ns1,

Well realistically Taco Maria’s Lunch Tacos come out to be a whopping $10 PER Taco! (including Tax & Tip since it’s a sit down restaurant with full service) :open_mouth: :angry:

I only enjoyed their Tocino (Pork Belly) and Black Cod. The other ones (at the same ridiculous price, were disappointing). They are very hard to recommend at that price.

None of us thought it was worth it except to try once, or if we wanted to really splurge once in a while.

1 Like

I think Taco Maria is a bit out of my league but I’ve been to Taco Asylum a couple of times and really enjoyed it. Anyone wish to compare and contrast? Tacos seem to be half the price.

There’s probably a $4 up charge at taco Maria for the artisan organic semi-local hand formed heirloom masa tortilla.

I’m only partially joking.

anyplace to try that not in a 10$ taco?!

I believe chowseeker’s got you covered…

2 Likes

I like Vaca quite a bit. The steaks and tapas have mostly been excellent and a nice selection of Spanish wines and cocktails. I thought the paella de carne was good, though not up to the ones I have enjoyed in Spain.

Taco Asylum makes a decent taco. The tortillas are a big difference. When Taco Asylum first opened their claim to fame was their variety of hot sauce - not sure if they still have that ghost pepper salsa.

For more reasonably priced tacos in that area I would recommend Taqueria Zamora. Great tortillas, very nice meats and excellent salsa. I usually get the al pastor and carne aside. The tacos here are large than your standard street taco so 2-3 should be plenty. OCSteve originally led me to this place and in the price range I think Zamora is better than Asylum.

Agree on Zamora, though I haven’t been to Asylum since they first opened.

@js76wisco, Glad you like Zamora. You will also want to try Taqueria El Zamorano on the NEC of Flower and Warner. Not related to Zamora. Seating is limited. Tacos are smaller and delicious. Al pastor and cabeza are my go-to’s there, but it’s all good…