Grocery Outlet Finds

Hi all. I thought I’d start a new topic for Grocery Outlet, as their stock fluctuates and varies by store, but it might be nice to highlight interesting items and deals.

At my local GO today in Northern CA, there was Wei Pantry Amber Vinegar (rice vinegar, dark brown sugar, anchovy extract, salt) and Shallot Oil (safflower oil, shallots) for $1.99 each. I didn’t pick them up but I might go back for them. Has anyone tried this brand or these products before? Thanks in advance!

Picked up a 32oz tub of Wallaby full fat Greek yogurt today for $1.99 which made me a happy camper.

6 Likes

big fan of wallaby, there sour cream has so much fat you can use it as a stand in for creme fraiche. so good

1 Like

Great finds today in Placentia.
I didn’t know they still made Cheez Balls. A steal.

This ice cream was very good. One of the better supermarket pints I’ve bought in a long time. The caramel has a burnt feel but in a good way. Real nice crunchy chunks of cacao nibs. Excellent texture and mouthfeel. I was expecting a lot of ice and freezer burn.

4 Likes

Often things end up at GrocOut because they’ve been discontinued. Though apparently not in this case.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/3B353AAC-FE2C-4D2D-8244-450097DDC62C

1 Like

Generally I have found that the ice creams at GO have been pretty well handled. That biscoff one isn’t bad either…

3 Likes

Good to know. I almost bought that too for a bargain at $1.99. Might be my new ice cream supermarket where you don’t feel bad if you get a flavor you don’t love for $2-$3 and dump it.

1 Like

Been making Grocery Outlet stops as of late and got some great buys! I got a box of four cans of Muir Glen Tomatoes for $1.99. I use these for
chili. Expiration is mid Feb however.

I also mentioned that I have had luck with the ice cream I’ve gotten ar GO, and these VanLeeuwen bars were no exception.

For $3, they are a steal. The chocolate is snappy and the ice cream creamy.

Finally, I resisted picking these up because the kitchen here is way too small and I have a half open bag of masa harina already…. But if one of your resolutions is to learn to make tortillas…. Go at it! The expiration date for these were October.

8 Likes

Nice! Was this the Highland Park store?

The Leeuwen bars I picked up at Alta Dena one which is the NICEST GO I’ve been to and is right next door to Aldi (Which is super nice too!) It’s a bit of a trek from where I am, but maybe I’ll pop by every month or so. It’s owned by a nice Latino family. I also picked up a pint of Frutero Strawberry Ice Cream for like $2. The strawberry flavor in that is astounding. Almost unsettling. Both I got last weekend with a large box of Multigrain Cherrios for $2.50

The Muir Glenn and Masienda were at the Inglewood, which isn’t the greatest, but they do have some interesting items. Lots of really good cereals.

The one in HP, I plan to scout out more. I’ve been mainly getting giant bags of Smart Pop there for $3. Due to the size of this kitchen we are in, we mainly are purchasing items on an as needed basis, so it hasn’t been the usual, let’s go treasure hunting like what we used to do.

2 Likes

Where are all the locations? I looked online and it only showed me highland park and 6th St.

There is none close to the Westside. But there are several locations in SoCal. Aside from the ones I go to in Inglewood, DTLA, HP and Alta Dena. There is one in Inglewood, Redondo Beach, South Pasadena, Burbank, Whittier, Long Beach I think has two. You can google map Grocery Outlet and they’ll pop up.

Also, I should warn, it’s not a destination grocery store, but if you are near one and love to cook, it’s a great place to explore. It’s like TJ Maxx for food. For all around saving money, I would stick to things like Aldi and the ethnic markets.

1 Like

Gross Out is also about finding odd products you won’t find elsewhere. Particularly things that were test-marketed and failed.