Guerrilla Tacos - Arts District

The JGold booth

Sergio

Here’s to you JGold, you will be missed but never forgotten

baja fried cod taco - tempura battered local rock cod, chipotle crema, pico de gallo, japonese, cilantro
highlight of the night, nice quality fish, the batter on the fish could be crispier though, still prefer ricky’s though.

puerto vallarta style crab tacos - quajillo chile, chipotle crema, cilantro, raw tomatillo chile
pretty good, but the cream and chile overpowered the mild crab, could be better balanced.

fried oysters - oyster, tempura burnt tomato chile, red pepper escabeche, olive oil, horseradish cream parsley, lemon
nicely fried, juicy and meaty oysters

hamachi tostada - hamachi, chile del valle, salsa bruja, seasonal stone fruit, micro herbs
fresh hamachi, really liked the plums on top, but nothing too special.

heirloom tomato salad - bollilo crouton, halloumi cheese, thai basil, olive oil, sherry vinegar, sea salt
With the oppressive heat i thought this salad would me light and refreshing, but it turned out to be really disappointing. it was more like a loaf of chopped up stale bread with a tiny amount of tomato on top. i ate the three pieces of tomato and left the rubbery, greasy halloumi and chunks of bread. Not good.

not toto

Service is a little scattered, they forgot my uni on my tostada and they’re still learning the menu and pos system so the lines are slow. But I expect that to improve. The AC wasn’t very strong also and got pretty warm inside. Overall the food was pretty mixed and the tomato salad was just plain bad. Given the price, i’m hoping they improve.

After dinner dessert @ Bestia

frozen strawberry torte - butter cake, strawberry buttermilk, strawberry sorbet, dulce de leche
like a frozen strawberry shortcake, nice and refreshing

no sergio

watermelon agua fresca
delicious and not too sweet

pork char xui - cook pigs ranch pork, avocado chile, shaved radish, chives
this was great, where has this been my whole life? loved the sweet, spicy, and fatty flavors and you can really taste the quality in the pork.

calamari steak, butter, garlic, lemon, parsley
these were so damn soft and tender you could mistake them for scallops.

razor clams
tender and sweet, really liked the fresh dill and garlic bits.

whole seabream
this tasted like the red side of contramar’s pescado a la talla. the meat was perfectly moist and tender and the red sauce had a fruity, smoky, earthy flavor with a bit of heat. very good, thanks for the rec @Chowseeker1999. it was odd i only got one flour tortilla and no complimentary side like @Chowseeker1999.
uni for scale

everybody talks about the cheek meat but the forehead meat is tops.

Omakase

shigoku oyster, mignonette sauce, chives

michelada shot (mezcal, tomatillo salsa, habanero, tomato juice)

hamachi collar, radicchio, herbs

hamachi, strawberries, smoked soy, lime

“sopa de la casa”, cavatelli

duck, duck egg, nam phrik salad

rib eye, duck liver

ribeye “carcass”

gem melon

pot de creme

Guerrilla Tacos
2000 E. 7th St.
Los Angeles, CA.

5 Likes

The JGold booth

Sergio

Here’s to you JGold, you will be missed but never forgotten

baja fried cod taco - tempura battered local rock cod, chipotle crema, pico de gallo, japonese, cilantro
highlight of the night, nice quality fish, the batter on the fish could be crispier though, still prefer ricky’s though.

puerto vallarta style crab tacos - quajillo chile, chipotle crema, cilantro, raw tomatillo chile
pretty good, but the cream and chile overpowered the mild crab, could be better balanced.

fried oysters - oyster, tempura burnt tomato chile, red pepper escabeche, olive oil, horseradish cream parsley, lemon
nicely fried, juicy and meaty oysters

hamachi tostada - hamachi, chile del valle, salsa bruja, seasonal stone fruit, micro herbs
fresh hamachi, really liked the plums on top, but nothing too special.

heirloom tomato salad - bollilo crouton, halloumi cheese, thai basil, olive oil, sherry vinegar, sea salt
With the oppressive heat i thought this salad would me light and refreshing, but it turned out to be really disappointing. it was more like a loaf of chopped up stale bread with a tiny amount of tomato on top. i ate the three pieces of tomato and left the rubbery, greasy halloumi and chunks of bread. Not good.

not toto

Service is a little scattered, they forgot my uni on my tostada and they’re still learning the menu and pos system so the lines are slow. But I expect that to improve. The AC wasn’t very strong also and got pretty warm inside. Overall the food was pretty mixed and the tomato salad was just plain bad. Given the price, i’m hoping they improve.

After dinner dessert @ Bestia

frozen strawberry torte - butter cake, strawberry buttermilk, strawberry sorbet, dulce de leche
like a frozen strawberry shortcake, nice and refreshing

15 Likes

Thanks for the report. I look forward to trying it. Dishes I’ve had at the truck over many many visits have ranged from outstanding / insanely good to very disappointing. So I think if he can somewhat stabilize the menu, he’s clearly capable of having a menu full of winners.

3 Likes

That torte!!! :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Damn, the Bestia photo makes it quite clear how difficult of a time they are going to have in that area.

the dishes i didn’t care for in the past tended to be too acidic or tart and unbalanced.

1 Like

al pastor coming soon

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bloh38Kl49F/?hl=en&taken-by=guerrillatacos

6 Likes

Not trying to be a hater but most corner taqueros stack a better trompo than the one pictured

3 Likes

I was in the neighborhood last night to pick up a friend for dinner elsewhere, and at 7PM, it did not look busy at all.

the line was out the door around 6, but yeah no line at 7.

FYI, don’t get confused by their Yelp page, which is for the truck. They’re not open for lunch yet on weekdays.

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Thanks for the warning on the tomato salad, we almost ordered it. Sad to hear. :frowning:

But encouraging to hear they might add Al Pastor soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Breakfast burritos are back
https://www.instagram.com/p/BpsVoQfH3Bg/?hl=en

2 Likes

no sergio

watermelon agua fresca
delicious and not too sweet

pork char xui - cook pigs ranch pork, avocado chile, shaved radish, chives
this was great, where has this been my whole life? loved the sweet, spicy, and fatty flavors and you can really taste the quality in the pork.

calamari steak, butter, garlic, lemon, parsley
these were so damn soft and tender you could mistake them for scallops.

(special) razor clams
tender and sweet, really liked the fresh dill and garlic bits.

(special) whole seabream
this tasted like the red side of contramar’s pescado a la talla. the meat was perfectly moist and tender and the red sauce had a fruity, smoky, earthy flavor with a bit of heat. very good, thanks for the rec @Chowseeker1999. it was odd i only got one flour tortilla and no complimentary side like @Chowseeker1999.
uni for scale

everybody talks about the cheek meat but the forehead meat is tops.

10 Likes

So true- every time I get a whole fish I probe the forehead/crown first.

3 Likes

We had a less than desirable experience the first week. But this and @Chowseeker1999’s latest offerings are starting to kill me. Time for a revisit.

2 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Nice report back and glad you had a great time! :slight_smile: Wow, they have Razor Clams on special? Hope it’s still there when we go back. :slight_smile:

Your Wood-Fired Grilled Whole Seabream looks beautiful. Very weird about the tortillas. I would’ve asked them for more. Yah when Chef Wes was in and cooking (the previous weekend), he was serving a stack of tortillas and a side for every table that ordered it (we saw it go out 3 or 4 times before ours came out). Maybe his sous chef wasn’t confident / couldn’t make a worthy side to go with the fish?

Regardless glad the Seabream itself was great. :slight_smile:

1 Like

haven’t seen anything about al pastor since their original post, until now:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzSQUr_gJEk/

7 Likes

Omakase Summary: A potentially high QPR “tasting menu” filled with quality ingredients was marred by a variety of execution errors. I left Guerrilla Tacos completely stuffed, extremely thirsty for the past 6 hours, and quite disappointed with a 40-50% miss ratio despite Sergio’s godly presence…
@Chowseeker1999 @Hungrydrunk @hungryhungryhippos

Note: I would like to thank @PorkyBelly for the name of each course.

amuse bouches a: shigoku oyster, mignonette sauce, chives
my oyster has overwhelming bitter and metallic taste…bad oyster?

amuse bouches b: michelada shot (mezcal, tomatillo salsa, habanero, tomato juice)
this intense GT “bloody mary” packs quite a punch with spiciness from the habanero. but the zappy bright vegetal notes from the tomatillo salasa balanced it nicely.

hamachi collar, radicchio, herbs
this is the only truly outstanding dish of the night. it’s perfectly grilled which created a crispy crust while the flesh is juicy af. with a squeeze of lemon and the accompanying basil, all these toasty notes are lifted to new heights. my only complaint is the abundance of bitter and charred radicchio as i was running low on fish to reset my palate…

hamachi, strawberries, smoked soy, lime
this is a comped dish after sergio was informed of my bitter tasting oyster
these beautiful looking and glistening hamachi is simply paired with slices of strawberry for its sweet notes, smoked soy for a touch of smoky and salty notes, and lime for added freshness and acidity. unfortunately, it’s under-seasoned…

“sopa de la casa”, cavatelli
this is GT’s take on mexican soup noodle which has pleasantly firm and bouncy cavatelli swimming in a very flavorful and fresh tasting pomodoro sauce made from charred tomato.

unfortunately, an inedible stem came with my pasta free of charge. another problem that other purists might complain about, but i have no qualms with, is that the sauce is filled with tomato seeds which affects the mouthfeel of the sauce

duck, duck egg, nam phrik salad
the lightly dressed radicchio salad has quite a kick and acts as a counter to the over-fried, tough, dry, and stringy duck.

rib eye, duck liver
ribeye is cooked slightly above medium rare but the meat is still quite tender. overall, the foie is unnecessary and didn’t offer much other than just a touch of creaminess.

ribeye “carcass”
some ribeye cubes and bones from the ribeye is flash fried. the meat on the bones are good but the cubes are horribly dry and stringy…

gem melon
mb: supple, juicy, and sugar sweet. this is the only other highlight of the night.

pot de creme
i quite like the textural contrasts on this competently made dessert. there are crunchy exterior and moist interior of the brownie(?), a light whipped cream, and the smooth but just a touch thick custard-y salted caramel. although i hate knocking generous portions, this is just a bit too much for me since the dessert is intensely rich.

7 Likes

Aww, sorry you didn’t have a good time.