Guerrilla Tacos - Arts District

Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience :frowning:

Chef was known for creativity and changing the menu constantly when he had the truck. Maybe he’s trying this at in the brick & mortar and it’s taking a toll on execution.

1 Like

I didn’t love it the first time but we’re giving it a try again this week. What are GT lovers’ favorite dishes? Calling @Chowseeker1999!

1 Like

Hi @TheCookie,

Currently, Chef Wes / Guerrilla are trying out a set regular menu (not changing very often (used to be Seasonal (4 times a year)), and he’s trying to develop his Omakase tasting menu experience (but clearly we see that there are some mixed results). Our meal was outstanding, every dish was cooked by Chef Wes himself, and it was a weeknight (not that busy).

From the regular menu:

• Sweet Potato Taco - A classic and still excellent, even if it sounds “boring”. The flavor combination is so good. :slight_smile:

• Grilled Steak Taco

• Potato Taquitos (2) - Crispy crunchy, creamy potato center.

• Baja Fried Cod Taco - If Chef Wes is doing it you’re fine, but if you notice his assistant prepping, start by removing a bit of the Pickled Cabbage / Slaw on top. It’s very fresh, but his assistants put on too much. I treat it like a free bite of “Salad” on the side. :wink: After that, enjoy one of the best Fish Tacos around here (quality, crunch and portion).

• Smoked Cauliflower Taco - Chef Wes actually excels at vegetables more than his meats many a time.

• Lobster Quesadilla - Just delicious. Perfectly cooked Lobster, delicate, and so much better than his truck version (because he actually has a full kitchen).

• Hamachi Tostada - for something lighter and refreshing. Ceviche / Sashimi mash up.

• Lastly check his Specials Board (or look on Instagram) to see what Daily Special he might be serving.

If you want to try his Omakase, call ahead (at least 1 day ahead or more), book it and ask if he might consider doing 3 dishes from his past menu (Warm Heirloom Tomato Salad with Pineapple Habanero Salsa; (2) Pan-Seared Pork Belly and Grits (Humanely raised, all-natural Pork, Anson Mills Grits - so good!; and (3) Australian Wagyu Rib Eye Cap Taco with “Complimentary” Foie Gras)). You can read up on the description and pictures here:

Enjoy!

1 Like

Hi @Chowseeker1999!

I’ll check out your latest reports again. I remember seeing some tasty gems. Which is why I’m going to curb my current obsession with Holbox and go to GT. That reminds me, I have another report to do. :relaxed: Can’t get enough of that place.

Anyway, we’ll be downtown on a weekday, so hopefully it will be less hectic and the execution will be on point. Maybe we’ll wait ‘til after trying his regular menu items again and the new specials before committing to the hoopla that is chef’s choice. :wink: BTW, I didn’t see anything about it on the website. I’ll check IG.

Will report back. Gracias!

2 Likes

Sad to hear about the consistency at GT for omakase. We’re planning to go back and will report.

There’s no shame in visiting holbox too much that place is one of our favs.

4 Likes

Agreed. I was going to Holbox once a week at one point. Also not talked about too much is the chicharron taco at Chichen Itza, and now you can add that amazing morita salsa from Holbox on top.

2 Likes

i enjoyed the cod, steak, pork char siu, and sweet potato tacos. the lobster quesadilla i had at brunch was a bit too oily for me and the sauce overpowered the lobster.

1 Like

Great, thanks. Concise and to the point, as usual. :wink:

Thanks for the tip @A5KOBE. Hubby usually gets something from Chichen Itza. He said he hasn’t had their chicharron taco, but it’s one of his favorite tacos. He’s on it.

2 Likes

I’ll have to try their chicharon taco, is it stewed? The last couple of tacos I’ve had usually are dry or stringy.

We usually do a combo of menudo from the taco place next door and whatever sounds good a holbox on the weekends.

1 Like

From Chichen Itza or someplace else?

We’ve been eyeing the “taco place next door” which might be its actual name, :wink: since none of us call it anything else. Anyway, I think it was @CiaoBob who said they do a roast or pork on a spit thing on the weekends. :yum:

From Chichen itza

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_QZmqzgZO_/

http://www.guerrillatacos.com/schwag/guerrilla-steak-house-dinner-for-two

5 Likes

I like how it’s a Dinner for 2, with 8 Old Fashioneds. My kind of meal!

10 Likes

Donuts, coffee, and breakfast burritos at the new guerrilla cafecito next to guerrilla tacos.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCd-ZeXAsYP/

6 Likes

Wow!! I love this! Aside from Ducle, there is a bit of Donut Gap in that area! Also, I love that restaurants are finally giving customers what they want instead of forcing them to jump through hoops or act like they are doing them a favor to offer these homey items.

–Dommy!

2 Likes
4 Likes

Tough read. The stress of being a restaurant owner right now must be immense.

5 Likes

So sad and it’s great to hear the direct perspective of restaurant owners. I know I am not the biggest fan of eater but this was a great article and it’s great that they are giving restaurants a voice.

Also a great reminder to support your favorite local restaurants!!!

2 Likes

wes out
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDbv9UyAECi/

5 Likes