Gusina Saraba - Belizean + Afro-Caribbean

Right across from Holbox I tried this recently, and it is terrific!!

Delicious jerk chicken, amazing curry goat, black beans + rice cooked in coconut milk. Everything is delicious and I went in with lower expectations I have to say.

If anyone is in the area I would definitely check it out.

14 Likes

To add to the low expectations: expect it to also take 40 minutes smh. By now I’ve finished the Holbox 2 tacos + ceviche combo that I ordered well after ordering from this place haha.

(Seems like an honest mix-up, but ya, maybe avoid if you’re on a time crunch.)

Final wait time: 50 minutes to get a plate of chicken. Woof.

5 Likes

Thanks for posting. I’m excited to try this!

I confess — I like Ethiopian, and I like vegan, but I didn’t like Azla (the restaurant replaced by this restaurant) and don’t like vegan Ethiopian food more generally. To me, the soul of good Ethiopian food is clarified butter.

2 Likes

We went at 11:15 because their website says they open at 11. It turns out they will open at “about 12.”

2 Likes

The best dishes that showcase the chef’s Garifuna cooking need to be called in for in advance (he recommends an hour), so would try this next time to avoid disappointment.

5 Likes

They have a dish called “hudut” on the regular menu that seems to be classic Garifuna. Do you need to call in advance for that? Or it’s not one of the chef’s best dishes?

what would you recommend?

Sorry logged out for a bit… try the hudut but make sure to call ahead one hour to give the chef time. I would not call this dish mind-blowing, but it is definitely unique, and is served with a sweet plantain that is used like fufu or other West African staples as the utensil. The coconut milk-based soup is both sweet and rich at the same time and tastes like nothing I have ever had before.

7 Likes