Gwang Yang, LA's KBBQ king: pic dump

Private room at Genwa is nice. I’ve been going to Kang Dong lately

any intel on corkage at GY? finally going on Saturday.

$25 If I recall correctly.

That was a pretty great dinner I must say. Showed up sauced, left more sauced and hit 2 more bars but the meats were impressive.

galbi was THIIIIICK, this was the cross section after it was scissorred.

too faded for pics… the porkbelly didn’t even make it into the phone… that was the first time i really really enjoyed porkbelly at kbbq. i’d skip the tartare… served too cold (i was trying to warm over the fire lol)… too much sesame oil… but good beef taste and texture.

4 Likes

What do you normally not like about pork belly at Korean BBQ? I also haven’t enjoyed pork belly in that setting b/c it’s often tasteless and too fatty (and I’m normally a fat fiend). If you’ve had similar issues, maybe I’ll try the pork belly at this place. :slight_smile:

that’s exactly why i haven’t liked it… and it relies on the dips… at this place it was just right somehow… it was rendering,… had good meat balance… was getting just a little char… and with some nice salt it was lovely… and with porky flavor

1 Like

I typically just eat the pork belly with sesame oil and salt. Add some grilled kimchi if I want to copy Park’s

2 Likes

i’m getting really close to writing sesame oil off like i have truffle oil… shit is too aromatic dammit… such a cop out… arg. at least sesame is cheap enough that it’s not just perfume but actual sesame but still… it’s eeeverywhere.

2 Likes

Key for me is to get a good caramelization i.e high heat to ensure it doesn’t dry out. The little crunch makes the world of a diff.

2 Likes

The crunchy pork belly has great texture. We’ve almost been cooking our pork belly to a medium rare-ish just cooked all the way through. Haven’t been able to get enough heat to get both carmelized crunchy outside without drying out the pork on the inside. When its a little undercooked you get much more porky flavor but I miss that crunch.

We eat just with salt and sesame oil or fried kimchee.

1 Like

No idea if it would work, but could you use one of those small propane torches used to caramelize creme brulee to get some crispiness happening?

1 Like

The problem is, will the restaurant give me said torch? :wink:

3 Likes

They’re not a BYOT establishment? Sheesh. What’s this world coming to?

3 Likes